PDA

View Full Version : Am I being ripped off or ..?

VBOMB
21-12-2009, 12:04 PM
Saw a guy today (very nice, seemed genuine) to replace my brake pads, do a service and obtain a RWC. He was talking me through everything and rocking the car back/fourth/side/side and said he can't give me a RWC without me replacing the suspension which is going to cost me about $1100 all up. When I'd bought the car from a dealer they said it was serviced etc and was perfectly fine however under 5 months and I've hit this bump.

Is this reasonable or not? =\ I asked if I put the stock tires back on will I still have to and he said its not the tires thats the problem its simply the entire suspension so worst case scenario $550 a pair..

DLO01
21-12-2009, 12:09 PM
He needs to tell/you need to ask exactly what the problem is. No point him saying the suspension need replacing without an explanation. Theres no telling weather hes being honest or not.

Ask him to tell you exactly whats wrong and ask him to show you, so you yourself can understand what the problem is.

VBOMB
21-12-2009, 12:45 PM
What would be wrong with shocks/springs in order to have to replace them? He did explain it I just can't remember, all I remember was "If you don't replace them, no RWC" :(

sangyz
21-12-2009, 01:11 PM
go get it checked somewhere else and if they all say the same thing then you know somethings wrong

VBOMB
21-12-2009, 01:39 PM
I may have to get him to bring the suspension/rotors back - dealership might send someone out to make sure the problem really is there since I haven't driven much .. hope they do anyway, because they said it was serviced before I bought it -_-

VBOMB
21-12-2009, 03:05 PM
I can't drive it, I need a RWC. What if it turned out theres nothing wrong with the suspension he removed, could I complain to Lube Mobile directly?

hisoka
21-12-2009, 03:20 PM
lol wtf you let him take the suspension ?

should just replace with your mates suspension

VBOMB
21-12-2009, 03:25 PM
Then what will they drive on?

I'll ask to keep the old suspension and get opinions on the quality of it, if everyone says its had it then good good but otherwise if I get official quotes saying its perfectly fine then I'm sure I can complain to them.

OMG.JAI xD
21-12-2009, 03:41 PM
I can't drive it, I need a RWC. What if it turned out theres nothing wrong with the suspension he removed, could I complain to Lube Mobile directly?

Your main problem is in bold.

Not taking a personal attack on a company or organisation. But generalising the quality of servicing that comes out of them.
Any one can do oil and filter changes. Diagnosing or stating something is wrong with a car is another thing.

If i may ask. Did they slug you for a battery too?

Ive heard of 2 or maybe one shock failing. But all 4. Your car must be a jumping castle.
The proper way to test a vehicle is not to rock it, but to bounce it at each individual corner.
NSW regulations state that a maximum of 1 1/2 rebounds after ONE bounce is considered servicable (satisfactory). I dont know if that rule has changed (due to all these lowering laws) but rocking a vehicle is a pretty easy way to make it look like your vehicle is in need of suspension goods.

Ever tried rocking a suzuki jimny or apv by any chance? Let me just say, a passenger can fart in one of those cars and the whole car will rock.

Just my 2 cents.

VBOMB
21-12-2009, 03:53 PM
They've been good to me in the past to be honest and don't mind me watching what they do/don't charge for every little thing most the time. If I go into Lube Mobile and show them the suspension with nothing wrong surely they have to give me a refund since they said they couldn't give me a RWC with them on so I think thats my best bet. Otherwise the other things he wanted to do is a service, change front brake pads (I knew this already) and flush something, forgot the name. Basically he told me the previous owner must've let it run on empty frequently before topping it up causing it - can't remember off the top of my head.

hisoka
21-12-2009, 04:48 PM
how many kms on your car btw

VBOMB
21-12-2009, 05:36 PM
62,000 km

japcollector
21-12-2009, 05:42 PM
Massive rip of dude my mechaanic did my brake pads service and gave me a RWC for $350. With that extra $750 I could go get myself some use but good aftermarket suspension.

VBOMB
21-12-2009, 05:44 PM
Well what aftermarket suspension should I consider? I could always buy them and get him to put them on when he services it (fixed price service)

OMG.JAI xD
21-12-2009, 07:36 PM
Well what aftermarket suspension should I consider? I could always buy them and get him to put them on when he services it (fixed price service)

Any money. He'll give you the reason that he "cant give you RWC cause it aint honda suspension. Its aftermarket, there fore altering its handling characteristics. It will need to be engineered."

Something along those lines. But you can try =]