PDA

View Full Version : EG Brake Upgrade Help

WA-EG
22-12-2009, 08:50 PM
Hey peoples,

As the title suggest I'm after a brake upgrade for my EG. Its a 92 EG GL with a B18C conversion, but to get it over the pits and legal I need to upgrade the brakes as it has drums on the rear.

Basically what I'm after is bang for buck.... I'm only new to Honda's so not really sure of models and parts.

Can somebody supply me with a part for part list of what I need to buy to change the brakes over?? From what I have read DC2 or EK seems to be the most common swap, but I have no idea what parts I need.

Any help you can give would be great.

ps: Have done search, but most answers just say swap with DC2 not what I need.....

kcokla
22-12-2009, 09:05 PM
For a combination of something cool and something that is practical to your needs, perhaps you can look into a 5 lug conversion( around 800-1200) which includes the entire arms hubs break lines etc etc etc - if you dont know what that is, itspretty much the breaks from a dc2r(same place where your engine is from)
i think thats a good upgrade where u can have 5 studded rims too!
however to answer your question better, i believe you can settle for ek4/or eg6 breaks(there the same).

markismaximus
22-12-2009, 09:14 PM
here some are for $800. Has ABS. Not sure if that will cause any issues

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123712

VT3C
22-12-2009, 10:16 PM
EG's dont need a lot of braking from the rear and you prob dont want to have to buy new rims n tyres (5-lug for ITR) so I'd suggest just getting integra VTiR or GSi rear disc brakes. EG civic VTi or Si have rear discs also and are probably cheaper again - both options will retain your 4x100 stud pattern so you can retain your current wheels.

integra Type R rear brakes will be better still but as mentioned above you'll need new wheels and have to upgrade the fronts also.

not only will you need the rear hubs etc but you will need a 4-wheel disc brake master cyllinder and brake lines possibly. this is one area where i'd reccomend geting the larger integra type R unit instead of civic or integra. the little bit extra you will pay will give a firmer pedal and support any brake upgrades in the future.

90LAN
22-12-2009, 10:26 PM
you will need at least eg6/ek4/dc2 brakes to need it to be up to par with your current set up

you will need the front and rear complete with arms, brakes, rotors, and hand brake lines

you will also need brake booster/ bmc, and 40/40 prop valve to make it work properly

being a eg you wont need to use the abs lines which can easily be taken off

and all those brakes are 4x100 and also 32mm cvs

you can use any of those cars brake set up listed above

jrxs-r
23-12-2009, 01:16 AM
Hey peoples,

As the title suggest I'm after a brake upgrade for my EG. Its a 92 EG GL with a B18C conversion, but to get it over the pits and legal I need to upgrade the brakes as it has drums on the rear.

Basically what I'm after is bang for buck.... I'm only new to Honda's so not really sure of models and parts.

Can somebody supply me with a part for part list of what I need to buy to change the brakes over?? From what I have read DC2 or EK seems to be the most common swap, but I have no idea what parts I need.

Any help you can give would be great.

ps: Have done search, but most answers just say swap with DC2 not what I need.....

Hey...

How's things?

Best bet for brake upgrades are to call a Honda wrecker and ask for front SR14 knuckles. The SR14 knuckles will take a wide range of bigger calipers like the EK4VTiR Civics, the DC2 VTiR Integras, and if you really want to with a little bit of machining, the BB4 Prelude ones. Size wise, I personally run the 282mm redrilled discs with the BB4 Calipers on the front on SR14 knuckles.

On the rear, its just best to source DC2 VTiR or EG Civic Si/VTi rear complete arm/brake assemblies and bolt them on.

Don't forget to upgrade your brake master cylinder too. I use the booster out of the EG CRX (260V-3 i think) coupled with the BB4 Prelude 15/16" brake master cylinder. Depending on the lines that are on the car, it will probably be a bolt on affair.

Any questions, PM me... :P

Hope this helps!

jrxs-r
23-12-2009, 01:18 AM
Oh yeah... forgot... check your proportioning valve on the firewall too... you will need to change that over to a 40/40 unit.

WA-EG
23-12-2009, 03:48 PM
thanks guys for all the replies. kinda know what to ask the wreckers for now.

Cheers
Heath

markismaximus
23-12-2009, 05:32 PM
What is surprising is that EG Vtis have rear discs but dont use a 40/40 proportioning valve. They use a 30/40. Anyone know why that is the case? Just the disc size combination???

jrxs-r
24-12-2009, 02:52 AM
Not sure... probably a few factors like booster sizing, master cylinder sizing, weight distribution, disc/pad sizes.... or maybe Honda just decided to chuck it in to confuse us all...

:)

90LAN
24-12-2009, 09:09 AM
maybe they replaced with wrong one

as they tend to leak round this age
the person who replaced it couldnt find a 40/40 one

markismaximus
24-12-2009, 05:54 PM
maybe they replaced with wrong one

as they tend to leak round this age
the person who replaced it couldnt find a 40/40 one

I thought that too. But checked an EG Si with rear discs when I was at the wreckers and that too had a 30/40 pro valve. Think jrxs-r is probably on the money

90LAN
24-12-2009, 05:59 PM
they are all the same size for the rear disc equiped egs in australia so i can see how they can be different

any way use what you think is right

i wouldnt use a 30/40 prop valve if you know how they work

Fly-Rice
26-12-2009, 01:18 AM
sorry for the noob question... but whats the difference between a 30/40 and a 40/40 PV? what does that mean?

connorling
26-12-2009, 03:28 AM
lots of replies, i didnt read thru all of it, so if i repeat what other mention, purely not copying.

when i swap my engine, i use the brake set up from the half cut, which is a vtir DC2, my rear was still running drum at that time. it was fine. then i change the pads to EBC green, enough for most cases. then i didnt like the look of it, so i changed the rear drum to EK vtir disc brake. cost me 600 included installation and parts. and i think my brakes are up for the jobs.

o btw, u dont need to go thru pits for that set up. i had a EG3 breeze coverted to b18c, all i did was to go to dpi, tell them i have changed the engine, they gave me this form to fill up, i said my old engine is 80 hp, new engine is 120hp, they believed it, at the end, it didnt cost me anything. now my engine is registed unfer this car. :P

connorling
26-12-2009, 03:29 AM
Also, i am in WA, i am guessing u r in WA too as ur name suggested. so give it a try :P

VT3C
28-12-2009, 12:12 AM
o btw, u dont need to go thru pits for that set up. i had a EG3 breeze coverted to b18c, all i did was to go to dpi, tell them i have changed the engine, they gave me this form to fill up, i said my old engine is 80 hp, new engine is 120hp, they believed it, at the end, it didnt cost me anything. now my engine is registed unfer this car. :P

...registered.. but not legal ;) u used the change of engine number form which is only for same capacity engine swap.. is meant for a replacement engine of the same type but it limits HP increase to 20HP I think.. and same configuration (1.6L, fuel injected).

basically this means that if the police run your engine number and VIN it will be OK but if your car goes over the pits and they know what they're looking for, you're not legal.. is such a stupid loophole.. in the case of 3rd party insurance (rego) claim for physical injury they could void any claim and hold you liable - you'd have to be very unlucky for this to happen !! (they can do this for illegal tint also so meh !)

Just because I am saying this doesnt mean i am up on my soapbox, I am just letting you know.. with al lthe b-series swaps these days, sooner or later they will have a database of engine codes and real HP and there wont be any gettin around it.

connorling
28-12-2009, 12:44 AM
...registered.. but not legal ;) u used the change of engine number form which is only for same capacity engine swap.. is meant for a replacement engine of the same type but it limits HP increase to 20HP I think.. and same configuration (1.6L, fuel injected).

basically this means that if the police run your engine number and VIN it will be OK but if your car goes over the pits and they know what they're looking for, you're not legal.. is such a stupid loophole.. in the case of 3rd party insurance (rego) claim for physical injury they could void any claim and hold you liable - you'd have to be very unlucky for this to happen !! (they can do this for illegal tint also so meh !)

Just because I am saying this doesnt mean i am up on my soapbox, I am just letting you know.. with al lthe b-series swaps these days, sooner or later they will have a database of engine codes and real HP and there wont be any gettin around it.

i tthink that actually the engine number change. i cant reemember what form it was.
but i did that because i got the yellow sticker few days earlier, and i needed to go thru the pit, and the pit didnt say anything about the engine or whatsoever.
the thing is that they have accepted my form, i could be a no-car-sense-or-anything-about-car guy, i could say the shop suggested me to do so simply because i dont know anything about car, and the engine blow up, so i changed the engine.

whatever it is, my rego form is written the b18c engine anyway, and it has been a year, no problems at all. but i understand what u r saying,

at the end of the day, i am just going to pay dumb :P

connorling
28-12-2009, 12:45 AM
o also, i filled up the form saying the new engine is 1.8, the old one is 1.3, they didnt ask for a engineer cert.

thaizeg
29-12-2009, 09:19 PM
eg vti rear disc brakes and dc/ek vtir rear disc brakes same size? rotors and calipers?
cheers

nvmee
29-12-2009, 09:29 PM
Cant u use accord or prelude brakes?

90LAN
29-12-2009, 10:22 PM
eg vti rear disc brakes and dc/ek vtir rear disc brakes same size? rotors and calipers?
cheers

yes the same

connorling
02-01-2010, 03:56 PM
Cant u use accord or prelude brakes?

not sure about accord, but prelude 4th gen uses 4x114.5, not 4x100. learnt from experience

LLS
02-01-2010, 04:54 PM
What car has 40/40 prop valves? only VTiR?

90LAN
02-01-2010, 04:55 PM
eg si/vti and jdm itr 96 spec

the ones i know off

mr_kentu
06-01-2010, 07:00 PM
can someone tell me how 40/40 looks like ?
i bought master cylinder and the guy gave me free prop valve off eg. but he has no idea what eg it came from.
here the pic.
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n23/mr__kentu/IMG_8856-1.jpg

is this 40/40?

or 30/40 ? but i neither see something stated 30 nor 40 ?

another question,
is the ABS system off dc2r direct bold on to the EG if i have full set including the computer? is that too many hassle to do it ? besides the full set of abs system, what else do i need?

90LAN
06-01-2010, 07:14 PM
yours is leaking anyway wouldnt use it

no its not a direct fit you dont need anyway

its always stamped in the middle where yours is leaking

mr_kentu
07-01-2010, 02:36 AM
yea it looks leaking. as i see both eg vti and dc2r hasnt got any stamp or mark stated 40/40?

VT3C
07-01-2010, 01:50 PM
is the ABS system off dc2r direct bold on to the EG if i have full set including the computer? is that too many hassle to do it ? besides the full set of abs system, what else do i need?

Honbits did a conversion a few years ago (when we were in Hot4s LOL) on a Black EG that ran the full ABS system from a JDM DC2-R... but from memory the owner said it was a pain in the a$$ !!

if you gonna track / race this car u DONT want ABS anyway.. I'm not 100% sure if you'd need ABS for Engineering Certification though.. I doubt it.. or you'd have to put airbags in etc.

mr_kentu
07-01-2010, 02:15 PM

hmetro24
15-04-2011, 10:54 PM
Just a quick question does da9 brakes fit Eg4, i can get anything from Integra. brake booster disc calipers arms pro v.