PDA

View Full Version : Are new factory EK keys with immobiliser avaible at dealers

ydrift
23-12-2009, 08:40 PM
Hi guy im after a spare key for my EK civic with factory immobilser. can i order one from Honda or can i get one made up at a locksmith, anyone know how much it will cost

thanks all

ECU-MAN
24-12-2009, 08:07 AM
you can get them at Honda, however if you have lost both black keys you may be in trouble.

markismaximus
24-12-2009, 11:09 PM
I'm not 100% sure but I believe Honda could probably order you one based on your VIN. Knowing Honda a replacement probably wont be cheap. Call and ask

tsg88
25-12-2009, 01:41 AM
The keys supplied with mine when purchased aren't original, they are SILCA, and the owner explained that the chip in the old key got damaged and would work intermittently, so he had to get new keys made up by a key person. The replacements work fine so it doesn't really worry me.

Third party would have to be cheaper than from Honda? Holden keys are cheaper from a locksmith than the dealer.

jrxs-r
25-12-2009, 03:39 AM
Only some professional locksmiths can encode new keys with virgin immobiliser chips. Call around and ask if they can do it. Most of the time you will need to produce proof of ownership of the vehicle (rego papers and ID), and they will use the VIN number to cut and encode a new key for you.

Had to make a new key for my EK4 years ago, and it cost me around $90.

Best is to drive the car there so you can try it out after it has been coded.

yellows2k
25-12-2009, 03:12 PM
mr minit usually charges $90 to get it coded, thats the silca brand.
they say to use teh copies and keep as the "as original" key safe as whenever they copy a key it loses a little bit in terms of accuracy

ydrift
25-12-2009, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the help, im gonna go to MR minit tomorrow, website is pretty good, shows all the stores
http://www.mrminit.com.au/

thanks all

tsg88
26-12-2009, 12:01 AM
My previous owner obviously ignored the 'keep it safe' warning, all I have are two new keys and its all he took off his own keyrings at handover. Some people just don't think very practically lol. I just hope mine don't give me any trouble but they haven't so far.

Limbo
26-12-2009, 01:23 PM
$75 at Buffalo locksmith in West Ryde.
Cut & programed, but that's in sydney

maybe see if they have a store in melb?