PDA

View Full Version : Altapac & Installation of Clear Bra

buddah51au
23-12-2009, 09:21 PM
I have just travelled from central Queensland to Newcastle to have a ventureshield clear bra fitted to my CU2. what a major disappointment this turned out to be.

Prior to choosing Altapac I did a lot of research on the product & while there appears to be little difference between Ventureshield & 3M, all my research indicated to me that they would be the best choice for the following reasons. There is a company in Brookvale that uses the 3M product & they indicated they would need 6 hours to do the job. There is another company on the Central Coast of NSW that uses Ventureshield & come to your home to do the installation, This didn't sound right to me as any dust particles in the air would find their way between the clear tape & the paintwork. On the other hand Altapac do their fitting in a sealed booth (similar to a spray painting booth) & ask to keep the car overnight so the installation can be checked the next morning. That process was the deciding factor for me as I believed it was a good idea to check their work the following morning.

In my research I found the major problem with installing a clear bra is the experience of the installer

So I dropped the car off last Monday morning & arranged to pick it up on the Tuesday. I also confirmed with them if it would be alright to travel immediately after picking the car up. Naturally I thoroughly inspected the job before paying for it & was totally happy with the way it had turned out.

So I paid the bill, and made for the highway with my first stop being Narrabri, some 400 odd km from where the installation was done. While having a break there I went over the fitting again only to find that a section about 1/2 inch wide & 3/8 inch deep had lifted and was black underneath with road grime. I immediately rang Altapac to complain & all they could say was to bring it back which was totally unfeasable as I was more than 400km away & on a schedule to be back home for Xmas, let alone the round trip of over 800km to get back to where I was. Than to make matters worse, by the time I got to Moree, my overnite stop, the clear bra was lifting in 4 areas. Total disappointment after traveling so far to get something done that I had wanted for a long time

All I can suggest is for those who wish to have a clear bra fitted is to go ahead, but choose your installer with care & choose someone other than altapac.

My only option now is to wait until I clean the car, get a sharp blade & try to trim the effected areas, but i hate putting a sharp blade near paintwaork.

sodhi90
23-12-2009, 10:09 PM
mate i feel for you , i hate that sink in the stomach feeling u get when u find something wasn't done right or don't at all!! i can definitely relate

tony1234
24-12-2009, 07:02 AM
I have just travelled from central Queensland to Newcastle to have a ventureshield clear bra fitted to my CU2. what a major disappointment this turned out to be.

Prior to choosing Altapac I did a lot of research on the product & while there appears to be little difference between Ventureshield & 3M, all my research indicated to me that they would be the best choice for the following reasons. There is a company in Brookvale that uses the 3M product & they indicated they would need 6 hours to do the job. There is another company on the Central Coast of NSW that uses Ventureshield & come to your home to do the installation, This didn't sound right to me as any dust particles in the air would find their way between the clear tape & the paintwork. On the other hand Altapac do their fitting in a sealed booth (similar to a spray painting booth) & ask to keep the car overnight so the installation can be checked the next morning. That process was the deciding factor for me as I believed it was a good idea to check their work the following morning.

In my research I found the major problem with installing a clear bra is the experience of the installer

So I dropped the car off last Monday morning & arranged to pick it up on the Tuesday. I also confirmed with them if it would be alright to travel immediately after picking the car up. Naturally I thoroughly inspected the job before paying for it & was totally happy with the way it had turned out.

So I paid the bill, and made for the highway with my first stop being Narrabri, some 400 odd km from where the installation was done. While having a break there I went over the fitting again only to find that a section about 1/2 inch wide & 3/8 inch deep had lifted and was black underneath with road grime. I immediately rang Altapac to complain & all they could say was to bring it back which was totally unfeasable as I was more than 400km away & on a schedule to be back home for Xmas, let alone the round trip of over 800km to get back to where I was. Than to make matters worse, by the time I got to Moree, my overnite stop, the clear bra was lifting in 4 areas. Total disappointment after traveling so far to get something done that I had wanted for a long time

All I can suggest is for those who wish to have a clear bra fitted is to go ahead, but choose your installer with care & choose someone other than altapac.

My only option now is to wait until I clean the car, get a sharp blade & try to trim the effected areas, but i hate putting a sharp blade near paintwaork.
I've had a clear bra on my car for 3+years and in that time have had no lifting at all.Had it installed at a place in Rydalmere(Sydney)i believe it's 3M product.Only thing i've noticed lately is the texture of the material is not as "smooth" as it was when 1st.installed but for $260 i'm happy with the result.

buddah51au
24-12-2009, 07:22 AM
I've had a clear bra on my car for 3+years and in that time have had no lifting at all.Had it installed at a place in Rydalmere(Sydney)i believe it's 3M product.Only thing i've noticed lately is the texture of the material is not as "smooth" as it was when 1st.installed but for $260 i'm happy with the result.

Hi Tony, good result for you. I am just trying to make others who want this done to be aware & choose the installer with caution. The products from both 3M & Ventureshield have changed a lot over the last 3 years & I understand that 3M now owns both companies.

The upsetting thing for me is that the cost of traveling down there to get the job done cost more than the $600 it cost for the installation.

We all live & learn.

felixd
24-12-2009, 07:40 AM
sorry for ya mate but good best of luck trimming the lifting the affected area :) just musk tape the side n detail prep it b4 u cut it off :)

aaronng
24-12-2009, 08:49 AM
Hi Tony, good result for you. I am just trying to make others who want this done to be aware & choose the installer with caution. The products from both 3M & Ventureshield have changed a lot over the last 3 years & I understand that 3M now owns both companies.

The upsetting thing for me is that the cost of traveling down there to get the job done cost more than the $600 it cost for the installation.

We all live & learn.

Nope, 3M does not own Ventureshield. Ventureshield is a 3M direct competitor.

Did the installer apply the film on and then fold it under the bonnet? That is the proper way so that it does not lift when driving against the wind. If they did not, then it is a very poor installation

It sounds like your paintwork was not prepped to remove silicone before the clear bra was applied, hence the adhesive not sticking onto the paint and lifting when driving at freeway speeds. Definitely get the installer to either redo it or get a full refund and go to another installer that has more experience.

buddah51au
24-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Nope, 3M does not own Ventureshield. Ventureshield is a 3M direct competitor.

Did the installer apply the film on and then fold it under the bonnet? That is the proper way so that it does not lift when driving against the wind. If they did not, then it is a very poor installation

It sounds like your paintwork was not prepped to remove silicone before the clear bra was applied, hence the adhesive not sticking onto the paint and lifting when driving at freeway speeds. Definitely get the installer to either redo it or get a full refund and go to another installer that has more experience.

Sorry to disagree with you aarong, but 3M has brought out ventureshield, although they remain different films. I do remember reading about it when I was Researching clear Bra's.

It is a bit difficult to get the installer to redo it when they are 1300km away......lol

Yes, it is folded under the bonnet, that is not the problem area. The problem areas are the edge where it folds in next to the left hand fog light recess - (this is the worst), the leading edge of the left front guard above the headlight & the outer edge of both door mirrors.

aaronng
24-12-2009, 10:43 AM
Sorry to disagree with you aarong, but 3M has brought out ventureshield, although they remain different films. I do remember reading about it when I was Researching clear Bra's.

It is a bit difficult to get the installer to redo it when they are 1300km away......lol

Yes, it is folded under the bonnet, that is not the problem area. The problem areas are the edge where it folds in next to the left hand fog light recess - (this is the worst), the leading edge of the left front guard above the headlight & the outer edge of both door mirrors.

You're right. Just checked and they are a subsidary of 3M now. So the products are still different. Looking at the specs, I would go with the Ventureshield which has better optical clarity. However the 3M film has better adhesiveness, so if your installer didn't prep the surface properly, you will still get the issue with the Ventureshield.

At the fog light section, the foglights should have been removed and the film folded in behind the fog light cavity. Same for the fender and door edges. They should all have been folded in. If they are folded in and they still don't stick, then it could be caused by silicone on the paint surface.

albii
24-12-2009, 11:02 AM
Buddah, looks like all that polish and waxing has come back to bite you on the ass.:(
That's the downside to paint care, nothing sticks to it when you want it to.

tony1234
24-12-2009, 02:44 PM

We all live & learn.
You are right.Proper surface preparation and installation is very important.Not sure what recourse you have as they are doing the right thing by you and offering to replace it for you but if you're 1300kms away going back to get it replaced is out of the question.

buddah51au
24-12-2009, 08:31 PM
You are right.Proper surface preparation and installation is very important.Not sure what recourse you have as they are doing the right thing by you and offering to replace it for you but if you're 1300kms away going back to get it replaced is out of the question.

You are right Tony, it is not feasible to go back there at all, It would work out cheaper to save my pennies again & go to the Gold Coast, have everything removed & start from scratch again. That is taking into account the cost of fuel and accommodation, let alone taking into account wear & tear.

the gold coast is about 1200km return with 1 nights accommodation, compared to about 2700km return to Newcastle with a minimum 3 nights accommodation.

I am just so pi..ed off over this, it is not as though their application failed after several weeks, or months, but a matter of about 5 hours after picking the car up. Actually it would have been less than that if I had stopped earlier.

felixd
25-12-2009, 03:43 AM
pics im curious how bad is the job .

buddah51au
25-12-2009, 07:50 AM
pics im curious how bad is the job .

I will take pics once the car is clean, it is filthy at the moment after the trip. I was told to wait 1 week before I wash it. I don't believe it will be easy to see in pictures.

how bad is it, well I have already removed the pieces covering the door mirrors, they had lifted badly & had been trimmed differently on each side. As for the bumper i guess i need to trim out the section that has lifted, it has been trimmed differently around both headlights and where it finishes around the headlights is different on each side. Where it wraps under the bumper, some is wrapped under & some isn't. A tiny section has lifted on the very point of each front guard above the headlights where the guard meets the bonnet, another piece has lifted below the left hand headlight, where the bra joins in the center above the number plate a small section has lifted each side of the join.

The bonnet section itself is the only piece I can't fault.

While I maintain the principle behind a clear bra is the way to go I believe the biggest problem faced is choosing not only an experienced installer, but also an installer who is conscientious & proud of the work he does. Obviously that wasn't the case with my car.

buddah51au
03-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Sorry for the delay in posting pictures, but rain has prevented me from cleaning car. Pictures follow.

Center Bumper.
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo325/buddah51au/centerbumper.jpg

Left foglight recess.
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo325/buddah51au/leftfoglightrecesss.jpg

left front guard.
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo325/buddah51au/leftfrontguard.jpg

Left headlight recess.
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo325/buddah51au/leftheadlightrecess2JPG.jpg

Top corner Right foglight recess
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo325/buddah51au/rightfoglightrecess.jpg

Right front guard.
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo325/buddah51au/rightfrontguard.jpg

Right lower bumper.
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo325/buddah51au/rightlowerbumper.jpg

Hard to notice Ventureshield.
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo325/buddah51au/Hardtonotice2JPG.jpg

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo325/buddah51au/Hardtonotice.jpg

tony1234
03-01-2010, 12:41 PM
Buddah.Did you get it redone?

buddah51au
03-01-2010, 12:50 PM
Irving, I only have 2 small chips at the rear of the bonnet ( I had a Back Vinyl Bra that was only ever removed when car was washed) It certainly did the job. I also have a few on the sides of the car - oncoming traffic. I guess i have been fortunate that most of the larger stones have hit the windscreen.

Tony, no, I haven't had it redone, I just trimmed out the effected areas after taking the above photo's.

felixd
03-01-2010, 01:45 PM
thats a crappy job mate the edges not even tucked in properly.

buddah51au
03-01-2010, 01:53 PM

That is the whole point behind this thread Felix, I was sucked in & I advise OTHERS TO AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ALL COSTS.

The reason it had lifted in so many areas is obviously "poor preparation", but I will also add that the installer should never be allowed to touch another car as he has absolutely no pride in his workmanship.

Add to that is the fact I traveled 1300km each way primarily to have this job done, by a supposedly reputable company. I cant put the way I feel into words on a public forum.

felixd
03-01-2010, 01:54 PM
That is the whole point behind this thread Felix, I was sucked in & I advise OTHERS TO AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ALL COSTS.

The reason it had lifted in so many areas is obviously "poor preparation", but I will also add that the installer should never be allowed to touch another car as he has absolutely no pride in his workmanship.

yups :) correct !!!

aaronng
03-01-2010, 04:28 PM

Agreed. In this pic, http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo325/buddah51au/rightfrontguard.jpg, it looks like the film was applied crooked. At the left edge, it lines up with the edge of the panel, but then it starts to go further away from the edge. That's just poor.

buddah51au
03-01-2010, 05:31 PM
Again aaronng, that is the reason behind this post. If you were to look at the car closer, nothing is uniform from 1 side to the other.

While the principle of a clear bra is great you need to pick an installer who knows what he is doing. I don't want to see any other OZHONDA members or their friends, ripped off by this company like I was.

buddah51au
12-01-2010, 06:18 PM
I need to add to this as it is now 3 weeks since I emailed Altapac asking them to contact me regarding the issues I have outlined. As you can guess I have heard nothing, so obviously another company that takes your money & runs.

xntrik
12-01-2010, 07:02 PM
Wow they suck.
Looks like they were just in a hurry!

beeza
29-01-2010, 01:03 PM
^^ Your a wanker Irving!

Put yourself in his shoes for a minute mate.

Maybe you need to re-read the thread again?

buddah51au
29-01-2010, 01:03 PM
Some people can become quite nasty in attacking individuals personally, but 1 thing life has taught me is there is a CLOWN in every circus & your obviously a big overpaid 1.

beeza
29-01-2010, 01:05 PM
Your a Legend buddah!

You are soooo composed!

I would be ripping his head off if I was in your shoes now mate :)

buddah51au
29-01-2010, 01:14 PM
Your a Legend buddah!

You are soooo composed!

I would be ripping his head off if I was in your shoes now mate :)

I take no notice of clowns mate, they are not worth they air I breathe

beeza
29-01-2010, 01:20 PM
haha yeah :)

Rarely do I buy into that crap too but if I'm down on energy I notice I wanna give them a flying head butt,and that's not nice.

pure_na
29-01-2010, 01:44 PM
Your a Legend buddah!

You are soooo composed!

you're so good looking!

and sensitive!

and smart!

and i just want to rub you all over me...

lmfao sorry, couldn't resist :P

beeza
29-01-2010, 01:47 PM
hahhaa,song lyrics? :)

pure_na
29-01-2010, 01:53 PM
lol nah, just tried to think of something really gay :P.

beeza
29-01-2010, 02:09 PM
haha Kool :)

buddah51au
29-01-2010, 04:02 PM
you're so good looking!

and sensitive!

and smart!

and i just want to rub you all over me...

lmfao sorry, couldn't resist :P

I will stay well away from that 1 ....... LMFAO

buddah51au
29-01-2010, 04:07 PM
I can't see what you are complaining about. It's just a bit of Glad Wrap come undone. Put a bit of sticky tape over it and youu won't even see it. :thumbsup:

Please show me the glad wrap IRVING, sure it may not be 100% to my satisfaction on 1 hand, but it is 1000% better than an ugly black Vinyl car bra (It's for sale if anyone is interested).

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo325/buddah51au/Duragloss12.jpg

denot
01-02-2010, 10:04 AM
^^^ Hey buddah, I totally forgot that you have the clear bra on! That looks good after you fix it yourself mate!

triode12
12-02-2010, 09:09 PM
Buddah

Why didn't you get an installer in QLD to do this for you? There are 3 installers in SE QLD.

Auto FX
9/22 Cessna Rd
Caboolture
QLD
AUSTRALIA

Phone: (07) 5432 4430
Email: brisbane@autofx.com.au

Exclusive Auto Centre
28 Chester Street
Newstead
QLD
AUSTRALIA

Phone: (07) 3852 2539
Fax: (07) 3852 2541
Email: info@exclusiveautocentre.com.au

M Automotive Designs
5/690 Ashmore Road
Molendinar, QLD 4214
AUSTRALIA

Phone: (07) 55 279 345
Phone: 0418 795 351

My advice is to contact 3M directly and get them to pay for the repair. The film has a lifetime warranty against bubbling and they certainly will not be happy that their product has been so badly installed. I am pretty confident that they will look after you.

mocchi
10-12-2010, 11:33 AM
Buddah

Why didn't you get an installer in QLD to do this for you? There are 3 installers in SE QLD.

Auto FX
9/22 Cessna Rd
Caboolture
QLD
AUSTRALIA

Phone: (07) 5432 4430
Email: brisbane@autofx.com.au

Exclusive Auto Centre
28 Chester Street
Newstead
QLD
AUSTRALIA

Phone: (07) 3852 2539
Fax: (07) 3852 2541
Email: info@exclusiveautocentre.com.au

M Automotive Designs
5/690 Ashmore Road
Molendinar, QLD 4214
AUSTRALIA

Phone: (07) 55 279 345
Phone: 0418 795 351

My advice is to contact 3M directly and get them to pay for the repair. The film has a lifetime warranty against bubbling and they certainly will not be happy that their product has been so badly installed. I am pretty confident that they will look after you.

i think it's more of installer error, not defective product.

thanks for your review buddah, greatly appreciated.
i was interested in these clear car bra stuff, didn't know that it's more emphasized on installer experience.

buddah51au
10-12-2010, 07:43 PM
the main reason is I do not know my way around Brisbane at all, I also have family in Sydney & as I live in Central QLD coast it is easier to take the inland road to Sydney so I thought I would try & cover 2 things in 1 trip. The Bruce Hwy is nothing but a goat track north of Gympie & I try to avoid it.

I have done a lot of research since & when / if I get it re done I will be going to M Automotive designs as I believe he did his installation training over several months in the USA.