PDA

View Full Version : DC2R Speaker removal and replacement

tseesinngwailo
24-12-2009, 08:55 AM
Hi All,

Recently got a beautiful 2000 DC2R, but the speakers are crapped out

Has anyone got a good DIY on how to get the speakers out? as in I am not sure if I have to pull the entire trim out just to get at it. Would be nice if there a way to remove the grills easily.

Cheers

Chris

Zilli
24-12-2009, 12:16 PM
the doors or the rear?

tseesinngwailo
24-12-2009, 08:50 PM
Both, front doors and rear near the back seat.

Hopefully I dont need to pull the car apart to get at them

Cheers
Chris

dinorider
24-12-2009, 08:58 PM
It's not hard. If you can use a screwdriver you can get at them.

You can get at the front ones without pulling the whole door interior off, but it's a little tight and easier with the whole door panel off.

Otherwise, pry the speaker covers off with a flathead screwdriver, starting FROM THE BOTTOM left and right corners. If you start from the top you will break the plastic tabs. It's really easy to get them out.

Then the speaker inside the door is held in by only 3 philips screws.

The problem is that the OEM speakers use proprietary Honda connectors. You can cut them and replace with regular spade connectors, or if you're like me, just like to have the original OEM connectors in there to keep the car 'original', pry the OEM speaker's connectors off, slowly and gently and solder them to your new speakers.

Rear speakers are identical to fronts, and are removed the same way.

tseesinngwailo
26-12-2009, 09:23 AM
Thanks Dinorider, will give that a careful try, otherwise I have to start pulling things apart, and I have no time right now.
Cheers
Chris

Zilli
26-12-2009, 03:03 PM
depending on the speakers you are putting in and the magnet size you will need to create spacers which will be hard to get on without removing trim peices... but yeh good info above

dinorider
26-12-2009, 10:08 PM
If you're not looking to drop in a hot system or are not too fussy, I suggest the Pioneer TS-G1342R speakers. Only about $70-80 a pair and they drop directly into the hole and mounting screw locations vacated by the OEM speakers with no modifications.

phaz
26-12-2009, 11:12 PM
heres a good DIY on how to take off door trim...

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116906

I did mine yesterday, pretty easy, i had 6.5" speakers, the stock is 6" but the speakers came with spacers so it all worked out well. GL

tseesinngwailo
28-12-2009, 11:49 PM
Thnaks Phaz and all, hopefully will do mine in the next few days, I have an idea for the replacements, but need to test how good they sound, if not will go to JBHifi or such and get some new ones, not looking for perfection, just a nice sound for cruising.
Cheers
Chris

Neesmo31
29-12-2009, 08:18 AM
Go all out lol. Nah i have Alpine r's components in the front - crisp and clear sound. Needed to space them though, as you can see.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=12720&d=1260137129

tseesinngwailo
29-12-2009, 03:13 PM
Go all out lol. Nah i have Alpine r's components in the front - crisp and clear sound. Needed to space them though, as you can see.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=12720&d=1260137129

So according to your pic, did you remove the plastic basket? or do the spacers bring the speaker forward enough to mount? and the original grill then goes back on?

I can't go all out, due to budget, I need to get something that will provide OK sound to the dvd player double din system thats in the car now.

I cant really spend more than $160 on all 4 speakers, so yes, acceptable quality is what I will get
Thanks for the suggestions though.
Cheers
Chris

totti
29-12-2009, 04:20 PM
if your willing to sell your front & rear stock speakers PM me

Neesmo31
29-12-2009, 07:10 PM
Yeah that plastic grill went in the bin, and i had to shape the spacers so that the door card would go back on. The type r's have rather large magnets on them. I also put that dynamat (forget the name) but its a sound diffusing pad behind the speakers too. Excellent sound quality. Amp a set of pioneer 3 ways. That will be your best bang for buck, they are loud and clear all at a reasonable cost.

tseesinngwailo
30-12-2009, 04:08 PM
I have got a set of Pioneer speakers, TS-G1642R for the front, and TS-A1673S for the back, its all in, and sounds great, I mean it's not Autosalon quality, but more than enough to blast myself happy with Perfume (Jpop Yo!) hahaha

Thanks for the advice everyone, all the original grills are back and you can't tell there's nice speakers in there.
Cheers

Tseesinngwailo