PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer DEH-6150BT and Bluetooth head units

Jibz
24-12-2009, 04:17 PM
Just curious if anyone is running this head unit and can share their experiences regarding its performance, specifically how well it does bluetooth.

I'm looking for a new headunit but am not sure where to start nor what to look for. I've been told Pioneer are a good choice and I'm guessing all their current offerings with 50Wx4 MOSFET will give equal sound quality.

I'm wondering if BT is worthwhile or should I just get a head unit with built in SD card capability.

If you could point me to any review sites for headunits that would be good. I only seem to find price comparison sites as well as retail websites.

Thank you!

Joe Bellissimo
24-12-2009, 10:08 PM
I definitely think bluetooth is a good idea. Its better than holding the phone while driving obviously. SD would be useful if you used it. Dumb question, I know, but would you use it?

DC5TYPER
24-12-2009, 10:42 PM
CLARION CZ509A
SONY MEXBT2750 / MEXBT3750U
ECLIPSE CD5030

Other models you may want to look at. The Eclipse gets my vote :thumbsup:

Joe Bellissimo
24-12-2009, 10:44 PM
I like the Eclipse too, purely from what I've heard about their sound quality.

M@lew
25-12-2009, 12:29 AM
Do you remember the HU I had in my Jazz? It was a Pioneer 7050BT, I think the 6150 is the replacement or newer model. Bluetooth is awesome for the phone capabilities, especially with the new laws now in effect, not really for the bluetooth music modes. Never found those to be very useful. The screen looks the same as the 7050BT though, which was honestly a pain in the ass to look at from certain angles. (Hard to explain but if you compare the 6150BT with the screen of the 5150UB then the 5150 screen is heaps easier to see) Driver was fine, but rear passengers couldn't see squat, not that is matters THAT much.

pair08
25-12-2009, 12:36 AM
actually matt.. the 8150BT is the replacement for your model :)
the 7050 lacks RCA outputs, but is decent for the money your paying.

if tuning is your thing check out the Eclipse 7 series or Alpine 9887

Jibz
25-12-2009, 02:38 AM
Tuning?

Personally, I want to keep in line with the whole Type R thing and keep weight down, so I want to get maximum sound from 4 speakers and head unit. No amp or sub if possible, though if good sound is unachievable without getting a amp I'll look at getting one.

Also I noticed that the Pioneers are blue black lit, this can't be changed, right? Was thinking it would be good to get something red/amber to match the dials in the car.

Philip Lee
25-12-2009, 07:27 AM
I have the same idea with the "type r" thing so I got an Alpine HU and some Alpine DDlinear splits which are designed to run off a head unit.

Go check out the new summer catalogue, they are doing a deal of a BT hu(cde114bti) with those splits for $599. U can also get a Ktp445 power pack to boost the hu amp to 45x4 RMS for $199 (this is new and I have been thinking of getting 1). I also have a small sub with built in amp which sounds ok and I'm quite happy with my simple, light weight and low budget system.

pair08
25-12-2009, 06:05 PM
tuning as in.. time alingment, x-overs etc

you going to be ipoding or mp3?

imo alpine ipod connectivity is very good.. if pioneer is your thing but check out ryda.com for really good prices :)

Jibz
26-12-2009, 12:41 PM
thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I have an 32gb iPod touch which I'll probably use occasionally but won't need the whole interface thing for since the touch probably has a better interface than what the headunit's can provide.

That said, I don't think I'll be bringing the iPod with me every time I leave the house, nor will I leave it in the car.

Tossing up between BT and SD capability, I might find more real value out of the SD card slot and maybe BT would be too gimmicky for me since I haven't really relied on BT up to now so am unsure whether I should really give up the SD card capability. (I could always just use a BT headset in the car). I've also read that while it works great through the car's speakers, the microphones will sometimes be less than perfect and difficult for people on the other end of the line to hear.

Philip Lee
26-12-2009, 02:12 PM
Can USB substitute for SD??

I personally don't like BT in HU becos u need to turn on the HU for BT to work. I have a seperate BT thing that plugs into the cig lighter and it works well enough for me.

Jibz
27-12-2009, 10:07 PM
The 4150SD has USB Aux and SD. I think this is the unit I'll go with.

Right now I just want to change the HU and see what difference it makes, then go from there.

Thanks for all the input, especially from the PM you sent me, Joe B.. I'll check out those speakers if I'm unhappy with where the sound is after upgrading HU.

Antv
13-02-2010, 11:41 PM
CLARION CZ509A
SONY MEXBT2750 / MEXBT3750U
ECLIPSE CD5030

Other models you may want to look at. The Eclipse gets my vote :thumbsup:

but the ECLIPSE CD5030 does not have bass/mid/treble control.....besides that everything else is sweet