PDA

View Full Version : Gear trouble

typer89
24-12-2009, 09:17 PM
hey recently i have been having some trouble with my 4th gear everytime i shift from 3rd to 4th it makes a slight crunch sound . i have had a few mates drive it and they say the same thing... anybody know what it could be?

SHI-FTY
24-12-2009, 11:29 PM
4th gear synchro needs to be replaced. Not actually that bad tho, its just the beginning of it and only a slight crunch atm but will definately need to be replaced in the next 12 months b4 it gets worse

B18cEG
26-12-2009, 02:52 PM
the best thing you can do at the moment is flush the oil, and replace with new Honda MTF 06. Do it!!! lol

dinorider
26-12-2009, 10:03 PM
DC2R and DC2 are known to have weak synchros. My DC2 has the same problem going from 4th to 5th.

Change the gearbox fluid because it probably hasn't been done in ages. People seem to remember engine oils but fail to remember other fluids.

Most recommend OEM Honda MTF, but I use Redline MTL. A little costly, but it's worked for me in 2 Integras I've owned. Search and read up on the internet and both have their proponents and opponents.

Then as a final 'help', double declutch 3rd to 4th gear changes. It helps the synchros out.

I double declutch all my 4th to 5th gear changes and it never grinds. It has now become second nature while driving. Of course in a perfect world I would just replace the box' or synchros.

typer89
28-12-2009, 07:26 PM
sweet as thanks .. how urgent is it for me to change the synchros?

DC2R and DC2 are known to have weak synchros. My DC2 has the same problem going from 4th to 5th.

Change the gearbox fluid because it probably hasn't been done in ages. People seem to remember engine oils but fail to remember other fluids.

Most recommend OEM Honda MTF, but I use Redline MTL. A little costly, but it's worked for me in 2 Integras I've owned. Search and read up on the internet and both have their proponents and opponents.

Then as a final 'help', double declutch 3rd to 4th gear changes. It helps the synchros out.

I double declutch all my 4th to 5th gear changes and it never grinds. It has now become second nature while driving. Of course in a perfect world I would just replace the box' or synchros.

dinorider
01-01-2010, 01:50 AM
sweet as thanks .. how urgent is it for me to change the synchros?

Not a life-or-death matter, as long as you treat the gearbox with respect from now on. It should last for quite awhile more and is unlikely to suddenly fail catastrophically if you double-declutch properly.

But eventually it'll be good to swap it out.

FallenAngel
07-01-2010, 11:08 AM
My ISB is basically gone and my synchros are starting to go as well.

Anyone know or had any good experiences (and where) with rebuilding their tranny?

xtan
07-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Replacing gearbox oil would be a great postive step, as every crunch shaves of metal and the build up only makes it worse. My sisters 4th-5th in her 5th gen prelude started this recently too, just doubleclutch when down-shifting, in general takes off stress from gearbox.