PDA

View Full Version : Sqeaky noise when the car is running.

itachi-kun
25-12-2009, 09:00 AM
When I start the engine there is a squeaky noise, it sounds like birds chirping. When I accelerate the noise will slowly die down and eventually disappear, however once I stop say at a traffic light it would come back.

riruiz_88
25-12-2009, 09:05 AM
could be a loose belt. when you are idle, turn the steering wheel left and right a couple of times. if this temporarily stops the noise, its most likely your power steering belt.
what car also?

itachi-kun
25-12-2009, 09:50 AM
honda civic 2000

M@lew
25-12-2009, 09:57 AM
Sounds like a loose belt too. DO NOT spray WD40 onto it as some people do. It temporally removes the noise but then it comes back 10x worse.

itachi-kun
25-12-2009, 12:38 PM
What should i do then?

DvSnGuYeN
25-12-2009, 12:51 PM
if it is your power steering belt, should tighten it by loosening the pump and sorta raise it a little, then tighten it again... or if the belt's old, jus replace with a new one. New belt's only $15, jus replaced mine last week...

riruiz_88
25-12-2009, 05:54 PM
check for any oil, cracks, damage on the belt. if there is damage then you MUST replace it, dont cheap out. you do know which one is the power steering belt?

give us some more info about the noise, this is only a guess as to what info you have provided. open the bonnet and listen while the car idles and try pin point where the noise is coming from.

itachi-kun
25-12-2009, 07:52 PM
A couple of days again when having the a/c running, on the passenger seat there were signs of leaks. My friends leg soaked. Dont know whether that has anything to do with the squeaks.

riruiz_88
26-12-2009, 11:48 AM
that is a different issue and MUST be fixed as well. that would most likely be the hoses in the cabin area. i dont know much about this so maybe someone else can clear it up more.

itachi-kun
26-12-2009, 12:25 PM
I'm not sure where the power steering belt is but I'm assuming its the belt next to the power steering fluids, which runs all the way under and up next to the engine. Well the squeak is definitely coming from that area.

riruiz_88
26-12-2009, 02:02 PM
great, makes it easier to explain then. the belt for the power steering is directly next to the power steering pump (reservoir). if your look at the engine bay, its to the left hand side of the reservoir. it could be that the belt has just become loose over time, or could be the belt has damage to it and must be changed. if it is in need of change, you may aswell change the alternator and air con belt which will save costs in the long run.

itachi-kun
27-12-2009, 04:01 AM
After driving today the squeak noise is gone, would there still be a problem even though its not making any noises?

riruiz_88
27-12-2009, 07:56 AM
i would still act on it man. sounds like your still unsure of what is actually making the noise. either ask a mate that has a good knowledge about cars, or take it to a mechanic to inspect.