PDA

View Full Version : b16a2 with ctr cams PCT ecu!!!!

gravias
29-12-2009, 07:27 AM
i have an ek4 (vti) and i think to replace my stock cams and ecu with CTR's.. i ll have problem with my car ( running rich) with this ecu or it will be ok?? i ll replace the head gasket with a spoon for higher compression (10.6 )and a skunk2 pro intake manifold too. what about the performance with this mods? thanks for your time...

Limbo
29-12-2009, 08:41 AM
ek4 = vti-r not vti

you'll need to get it tuned with an aftermarket ECU to see any improvements. Those mods will be beyond what a normal ecu will be able to compensate for

Cooker
29-12-2009, 09:46 AM
No point changing the intake manifold, waste of $$ and time. You will actually loose mid range power and torque.
Don't stress about the head gasket also. One thing you should invest in is CTR or DC2R springs and retainers or if you have the $$ buy Toda valve springs and Portflow retainers.
Also a tunable ECU like an Apexi Power FC for DC2R (you will need and adapter harness
to fit to your car, talk to Yonas at JDM Yard)
You will need the uprated valve springs and retainers so as not to get valve bounce in the high RPM region.
A decent header is also a good investment as are adjustable cam pulleys. These two mods will take advantage of the cams to the maximum.

VTec1987
29-12-2009, 09:53 AM
You don't have to upgrade ur valve springs if you stay under your rev limiter which is 8000rpm

Try using a p73 ecu, it mite run a bit better then your current ecu

Limbo
29-12-2009, 10:19 AM
ek4 will accept either CTR or ITR PFC without harness conversion.
I know i've run both before.

But with the valve springs, you should upgrade the exhaust as the b16a only hasdual valve springs on intake. Will need dual valve springs on exhaust side. Either get an ITR set or get the intake side from another B series to put on exhaust.

You can make more power with the intake manifold + up compression, but it needs to be tuned. Also you better make sure the person who install this knows what they are doing cos, changing the compression via head gasket may cause clearance problems. Generally if you wanna up the comp, try using CTR pistons. Porting the head you will be taking the head off. Don't really need that unless your chasing more power.
If that's what you want better off starting with a b18 motor, more power to start with

No point changing the intake manifold, waste of $$ and time. You will actually loose mid range power and torque.
Don't stress about the head gasket also. One thing you should invest in is CTR or DC2R springs and retainers or if you have the $$ buy Toda valve springs and Portflow retainers.
Also a tunable ECU like an Apexi Power FC for DC2R (you will need and adapter harness
to fit to your car, talk to Yonas at JDM Yard)
You will need the uprated valve springs and retainers so as not to get valve bounce in the high RPM region.
A decent header is also a good investment as are adjustable cam pulleys. These two mods will take advantage of the cams to the maximum.

Limbo
29-12-2009, 10:22 AM
only problem is that the cams need to rev out more to take advantage of the ITR/CTR cams, kinda useless if u don't.
ALso the lift is much higher on the ITR cams than on stock b16 cams. You'll be pushing the valve springs to their limits without dual valve springs. You got higher chance of valve float and screw the motor, even leaving at 8krpm

You don't have to upgrade ur valve springs if you stay under your rev limiter which is 8000rpm

Try using a p73 ecu, it mite run a bit better then your current ecu

gravias
29-12-2009, 10:38 AM
of course i will change the spring with ctr's... the retainers i think it's the same with ctr's..about titanium retainers i read somewhere that want something like servise in about 30000km.. its that true?? i know that tunble ecu is the best choise but i dont have enough money for this now.. thats the reason i am thinking to run my car with PCT ecu but i dont want to destroy the reliability of my car..

Cooker
29-12-2009, 07:21 PM
If you don't have much $$ then spen what $$ you have on a tunable ECU and a decent header. You need these when you go the bigger cams anyway so might as well get these items first. Also by getting and fitting these now, the new power hopefully will keep you entertained till you can afford to go the CTR cam route.
You will have a better engine setup/power by running what you have with an ECU and decent exhaust then with CTR cams but no means of tuning it.
Titanium retainers are not necessary.

TODA AU
29-12-2009, 10:16 PM
My 5cents

For EK4 Vtir with CTR / 00 ITR cams, use OEM Type R intake valve springs:
PN's: Inner: 14751-P73-J01 (8 off) / Outer: 14761-P73-J01 (8 off)
Re-use your original intake valve springs to the exhaust side.
Check retainers for serviceability.
So you know, CTR / 00 ITR camshafts share identical low cam profile to your existing EK4 B16A camshafts.
The improvement is only on the Vtec lobe.
Your idle, cruise & low speed drivability on std ECU will be unaffected.

If you’re on a budget, you can keep the std EK4 ECU or use the CTR ECU.
Add a VAFC, VAFC II or NEO & have this tuned properly.
Don’t expect to set the world on fire though…
I.e.: Realistically you’re looking at a gain of 7~8hp at the wheels (5~6kw) from where you were un-tuned.

Don’t waste your money on the gasket & intake manifold.

gravias
29-12-2009, 10:53 PM
i am thinking for the mods coz are the same as b16b specs.. skunk2 pro IM is the same as ctr's IM, cams from ctr with springs, head gasket for higher compression (10.6 with gasket- 10.8 ctr) with b16b ecu. thas the way that i think tha it will be running good but i am note sure...

TODA AU
30-12-2009, 06:52 AM
i am thinking for the mods coz are the same as b16b specs.. skunk2 pro IM is the same as ctr's IM, cams from ctr with springs, head gasket for higher compression (10.6 with gasket- 10.8 ctr) with b16b ecu. thas the way that i think tha it will be running good but i am note sure...
They are not the same & you are forgetting key area's.
Deck height - Rod ratio - porting - intake valves
Cooker explained more than I did re manifold.
Take it as advice or not. It's your money.

gravias
30-12-2009, 08:39 AM
you are very clear man.. thanksss!!!!

hisoka
30-12-2009, 08:45 AM
as toda said, use the vafc if you can find the money for it. you can pick them up quite cheap from import wrecker