PDA

View Full Version : repairing roof holes.

JamieP
29-12-2009, 07:36 PM
Hey guys, I know this has probably already been discussed before but Im brand new here. I recently purchased my 2000 model s2000 and Im loving it. My one and only problem with it is I have a few small slits in the roof and when it rains heavy a bit of water is getting in. Originally I thought I could just go to a camping store and purchase some canvis tent repair strips or somthing to patch the roof up with but it seems you cant get black canvis.

Im sure other people here have run into the same problem. what products can I buy to repair my roof with?

thanks heaps in advance.

JamieP
29-12-2009, 08:06 PM
also the rear plastic window is so fogged up you cant see out of it what so ever. does anybody know of anywhere to purchase these plastic windows from and how much $ Id be looking at? thanks heaps

ludecrs
29-12-2009, 08:48 PM
There's a complete roof on ebay for like $200. Cheapest / best alternative out there.

BRU51N
29-12-2009, 09:01 PM
also the rear plastic window is so fogged up you cant see out of it what so ever. does anybody know of anywhere to purchase these plastic windows from and how much $ Id be looking at? thanks heaps

you could just get plastic polish to clear that up.

tamay_s2k
29-12-2009, 09:04 PM
i got a little hole in mine aswell
im thinking of just upgrading to a glass window in feb
plastic is a wanka
ive used the aerospace 303 and it cleans it up quite a bit but mines going green :S

JamieP
29-12-2009, 09:27 PM
lol mine has gone green as well. I noticed that roof on ebay as well but it doesnt look like its in the greatest condition either. Id imagine Id still end up with the same problem again if I bought that. Id rather just patch it up myself. Like find somwhere I can get a canvis strip to glue on the inside of it

tamay_s2k
30-12-2009, 12:57 AM
i herd duck tape works lmaooooooo
havent done it yet but
i want a glass window. grrr i saw a 03 model with the same colour as mine and my god do they look much better and cleaner with a glass roof

yellows2k
30-12-2009, 10:04 AM
the honda plastic cleaner works rally good. u need a bit of elbow grease tho to get it up to scratch tho.
i used to use black duct tape on the inside to patch up the holes. its a temporary fix, because u need to replace teh roof sooner or later. i was fortunate that i had the roof slashed by a vandal, so got a new roof through insurance, only cost me the excess, which was $400 a few years back.

F20C
30-12-2009, 10:49 AM

plastic x dude.. or scratch x forgot which one someone will clear that up for you. I used it on mine.. you couldnt even see out the back once i used it i could see again!

JamieP
30-12-2009, 10:57 AM
duck tape was the first thing I tryd but it comes off when it gets too wet. Im thinking strips of black canvas with a strong hold glue will do the trick for now but finding somewhere that sells it is a pain in the ass.

The guy I bought it off had it repaired with black leather strips which aparently worked as well.... but for some odd reason he decided to take the strips off before selling it to me so I could see the damage for myself and now Im stuck with the problem of getting it repaired again.

Im going to check out some of that plastic cleaner. will let you know how it goes

F20C
30-12-2009, 11:25 AM
the plastic x or scratch x (just read the back of it, it should tell you) will work wonders.. can also use plastic x on your lights so they dont look foggy.. but the roof thing mine never tore so cant help ya there lol..

98octane+
03-01-2010, 11:20 PM
I've got similar problem. Went and bought a vinly/leather repair kit from autobarn. Cut a small piece of the vinyl roof from inside and patched it with the vinly repai glue. It's only a Temp fix through.

ncmx5
04-01-2010, 10:11 AM
get vinyl from marine upholsterers... they're great stuff. I used it temporarily after my roof had two 1m slashes on them. Make sure you're generous with the glue and keep a weight on it (yellow pages book). Then go buy a glass roof. =D Only downside is you get glare from 4WD =( lol

JamieP
04-01-2010, 08:23 PM
I went into autobarn asking for the same thing and they said they didnt stock it.... which auto barn did you go to? I finally found some vinyl strips today at a furtniture shop so I'll tell you how I go with it.

I also got some of that plastic cleaner. It made a big difference and got rid of alot of the green residue that was on the plastic but its still not exactly easy to see out of. theirs these realy blurry lines through it from where the steel bars have rubbed against it when the roof is down and you cant see through them. its strange when your looking through the window from outside of the car you can see through it fine. but when your inside the car you can hardly see anything through the rear view mirror... and yes before anybody mentions it I did clean the inside of the window too :P

F20C
04-01-2010, 11:17 PM
I went into autobarn asking for the same thing and they said they didnt stock it.... which auto barn did you go to? I finally found some vinyl strips today at a furtniture shop so I'll tell you how I go with it.

I also got some of that plastic cleaner. It made a big difference and got rid of alot of the green residue that was on the plastic but its still not exactly easy to see out of. theirs these realy blurry lines through it from where the steel bars have rubbed against it when the roof is down and you cant see through them. its strange when your looking through the window from outside of the car you can see through it fine. but when your inside the car you can hardly see anything through the rear view mirror... and yes before anybody mentions it I did clean the inside of the window too :P

what scratch protectant did you get? you probably got the wrong one lol.. cause i know it works a charm! And keep using it everytime you was the car.. do the plastic inside and out and in time it should be right.. goodluck.

troys2000
06-01-2010, 03:19 PM
Mine has a small tear at the base near passenger window (where the roof hinges from) I use car polish on my plastic window and Mine has a small tear at the base near passenger window (where the roof hinges from) does not leak, took it to several places to patch but too hard basket. I use car polish on my plastic window and armorall to keep it black and looking good. Would love a glass window top but can imagine install would be a bitch heard a whole weekend, don’t you need other stuff to change from plastic to a glass window top?

tamay_s2k
06-01-2010, 03:21 PM
ive herd that it can be just a straight swap with the top but then ive also herd that u may need 2 change the folding component or something
im confused on this issue aswell and really want to upgrade to glass soon aswell
the product u use to keep urs looking nice and black
is it called aerospace 303 by any chance?
i use that and it works on a treat

troys2000
06-01-2010, 03:32 PM
Yes confusing and then have to consider on how your going to get it on there and parts needed?
No use the same stuff I use on the dash lol. Will try that aerospace stuff thanks

PS anyone want to do a trackday soon at eastern creek? let me know, want to go again soon!

F20C
06-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Yes confusing and then have to consider on how your going to get it on there and parts needed?
No use the same stuff I use on the dash lol. Will try that aerospace stuff thanks

PS anyone want to do a trackday soon at eastern creek? let me know, want to go again soon!

i would but im not in an s2000 anymore.

JamieP
07-01-2010, 06:41 PM
how much does it cost to take your car out on the track? Im interested in seeing what mine can do..... shame its still totally stock though. and the plastic cleaner I got was meguirs plastx. it cost me $20 and hardly did anything. I mean it cleaned it but didnt get rid of the bluryness/smudging. maybe i should try this other stuff

tamay_s2k
07-01-2010, 07:45 PM
did u use a buffer to buff the plastic?
i was just reading about that meguirs plastic X 2day and was gona buy it =]

F20C
07-01-2010, 08:27 PM
i used to use meguirs plastic x also, and it cleaned it to almost perfection. Scrub it hard with a cotton rag. and make sure you use a cotton one for the roof also picks up more dirt. with plastic x also remember to use it a few times a week to get results. goodluck.

JamieP
07-01-2010, 10:24 PM
I didnt use a buffer, I just used a regular foam sponge and cotton rag. I scrubbed pretty hard for a good half an hour or so both inside and out. As I said it got rid of all the discolouration and dirt. It just didnt remove the blury patches that were in the plastic. Ive got the day off work tommorow so I might give it a second try and see if doing it again makes a difference. Will let you know how it turns out.

F20C
08-01-2010, 10:54 AM
yeah try that applying it more then once is always good.. i did mine 5 times a week cause it got that bad. and it turned out almost brand new looking.

na
13-01-2010, 07:00 PM
i have a small tear near the plastic and I sew it back on with needle and fishing line.
After that I put black silicone glue (as used in auto window sealant) to cover up the sewn bits...works well.

F20C
13-01-2010, 07:08 PM
is it noticeable?

na
14-01-2010, 12:06 AM
well that depends on how big/bad ur tear is, obviously...and how good u are...
but it's better than leaking top.

but the black silicone blends quite well with the surrounding...

but it will stop the problem there...whereas if u just glue it...they may come off again after a while...i'll take a picture if i can be bothered later...

F20C
14-01-2010, 04:19 PM
haha ok just curious you dont need to :P

gamgam
11-02-2010, 08:18 PM
I'd like to see the picture though :P

adu
12-02-2010, 09:41 AM
you guys can share/half my roof when i get my new roof installed..

its got little rips here and there .. but u might need my material to patch yours up ..

FREE OF charge ..

=]

i already have my roof ordered from america .. just waiting on it to be shipped and sent to myself ..

Im pretty sure il install it LIKE asap ONCE i get it anyway ..

let me know guys ..
its plastic window at the back .. its decent .. NO water leaks whatso ever

JamieP
12-02-2010, 01:21 PM
Thanks mate, thatd be awsome :) Ive got vinyl patches on it now but strips from and original roof would be perfect!

How much did your new roof set you back if you dont mind my asking?

adu
12-02-2010, 04:13 PM
yeah no worri's mate

my mates got it for my birthday .. its actually getting shipped from america at the moment.

Cost $650 AUD including postage.

Its the glass defroster roof aswell =]

JamieP
12-02-2010, 05:35 PM
$650 and that includes shipping and handling?!?! your kidding me?!?! thats a bargain! was it second hand or new? what website did he get it from? for $650 Id love to buy one for myself

adu
13-02-2010, 02:50 AM
ebay ...

yeah no joke.. its that cheap including insurance and handling ..

but installation is pretty much the same price as the roof though lol

F20C
13-02-2010, 10:43 AM
Theres a tutorial on how to install the roof yourself somewhere on here. If you wanna risk it lol i know theres chopping involved of the first one.. save yourself the 700 bucks of install lol.

adu
13-02-2010, 11:02 AM
i know a place in smithfield for $550 installed by a professional ..

This reason for this, is because i enquired several months ago because i was wanting a new roof

crazy_legs
18-02-2010, 01:48 PM
Black silicon would do the trick.

Though i would strongly suggest a new roof (glass back) with the strong Aussie dollar.
Installation isnt that hard either, the only thing that pissed me off was the button rivets that made me angry when I installed it

98octane+
18-02-2010, 10:11 PM
got a slit on my roof too about 4.5 cm long. tried vinyl/leather repait kit (failed after 1 month), duct tape (failed due to rain). Just went to Anaconda and bought a canvas repair kit. hopefully will do the trick for longer period. Patch kit comes with canvas fabric and fabric cement.

F20C
19-02-2010, 07:46 PM
just buy a new roof! lol.

OzSir2
12-03-2010, 11:49 PM
I used contact cement placed on the inside of the roof and that has stopped any leaks. That way, the seal is flexible and does not have a chunk of vinyl sticking out. You may need a few layers so that it is thick enough to be water tight.

gamgam
17-03-2010, 11:47 AM
I just had a small split but managed to get it together with some epoxy glue holding it till it held with duct tape, then just went over it with some black touch up paint... you can barely see it now but then again it was a small split through the canvas