PDA

View Full Version : car dosent start when it does turns off after a while. been told it cud be fuel pump

YBJLS4
01-01-2010, 03:45 PM
my dc2 started turning off outta nowhere yday after the first time it started happening more and closer in between. Then it didnt turn on at all. think i can hear it crank and everything but motor just dosent keep going. sometimes like this morning it starts and you can drive it perfectly but it turns off again. been told by a tow driver its a fuel problem either filter or pump. The mech i took it to was deadset on fuel pump.

couple of days ago i used that engine cleaning shit that cleans out your fuel system but didn't follow directions and poured it in with a half full tank. dont know if this could be the prob. mech tried to jib me 495 for it nd cut down to 400 for fuel pump replacement but ive found one for 165 just need someone to put it in.

just want to know if its definatley the pump or could be the fluid i put in to clean the system out or something else.

chowdaa
01-01-2010, 04:00 PM
that fluid could not have caused it, its is only an alcohol based, engine friendly, combustible solvent. we can not diagnose with out having the proper information unfortunately. best way to lead us in the right direction, during the time it does not start, have everything off, then flick on ignition, engine light should come on and if ambient conditions a good/silent, you should hear the fuel pump whine/prime for the duration of the engine light then stop as soon as the engine light turns off. then try starting car, does it start? if so repeat the test and see if you can get the light but no sound..that should lead us to either fuel, or igniton.

Latino CRX
01-01-2010, 04:02 PM
crack in the main fuel relay ..

YBJLS4
01-01-2010, 04:08 PM
that fluid could not have caused it, its is only an alcohol based, engine friendly, combustible solvent. we can not diagnose with out having the proper information unfortunately. best way to lead us in the right direction, during the time it does not start, have everything off, then flick on ignition, engine light should come on and if ambient conditions a good/silent, you should hear the fuel pump whine/prime for the duration of the engine light then stop as soon as the engine light turns off. then try starting car, does it start? if so repeat the test and see if you can get the light but no sound..that should lead us to either fuel, or igniton.

ill check it out now tell you the results. cheers

YBJLS4
01-01-2010, 04:13 PM
btw yday i ran over something glassy. could that have cracked the fuel pump?

chowdaa
01-01-2010, 04:23 PM
no, the fuel pump does not hang off the bottom of your car. pump is suspended from a bracket inside the fuel tank.

YBJLS4
01-01-2010, 04:40 PM
just drove out to the car. the engine lights dont come on at all unless i actually try to start it. think its cause of my alarm system.

na-118
01-01-2010, 04:42 PM
is the pump for the dc2 under the seat?

YBJLS4
01-01-2010, 04:44 PM
so you guys think it wouldnt be the fuel pump?

chowdaa
01-01-2010, 04:58 PM
well it could be and at the same time it couldn't be. There are many aspects to an engine and having it all run in harmony. bummer about the alarm thing. without proper tools and electrical knowhow its hard to help. if you want to pop the rear seat base off(hoping thats where it is), have your ear on it and have someone else crank it. just to check your engine is getting its desired supply of fuel.

Latino CRX
01-01-2010, 05:21 PM
i still think the relay has a crack in it ..

chowdaa
01-01-2010, 05:28 PM
anything is possible, i guess? your guess could be right, but what mechanic just replaces parts hoping to fix it, we are here to help find the issue, not just tell him/her what parts to replace.

Latino CRX
01-01-2010, 05:30 PM
my guess if it does have a crack in the relay wen the car starts to heat up the crack expands hence the car dies .. just my guess tho .. im just goin on wat alot of our crx's do thats all

YBJLS4
01-01-2010, 05:30 PM
if it helps when the car actually starts and turns off it dosent actually choke at all just turns straight off.

bennjamin
01-01-2010, 05:42 PM
might be fuel pump but more likely main relay or distributor related

dinorider
01-01-2010, 09:49 PM
my guess if it does have a crack in the relay wen the car starts to heat up the crack expands hence the car dies .. just my guess tho .. im just goin on wat alot of our crx's do thats all

That I feel too is the most likely problem, and the easiest to check too. Start with the relay. Pull it out and inspect the soldered connections very carefully with a magnifier. Look for any that look cracked or loose.

YBJLS4
01-01-2010, 09:53 PM
wheres the main relay though?

dinorider
01-01-2010, 10:12 PM
wheres the main relay though?

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31796&highlight=icm

Look behind the plastic kick panel on the driver's side, where the bonnet release lever is.

Many inexperienced people always want to point to the fuel pump, but with Hondas in the last 20 years possibly 80% of intermittent starts have been traced to the main relay.

YBJLS4
01-01-2010, 10:18 PM
but if it was the main relay wouldnt the car start always first go and only give problems when it is hot. thing is first time i started it today it wouldnt. second time it actually started. the mech kept turning it on and off and it worked. then when i took it out it turned off after a while. after that tried turning it on again and it stayed on for a bit longer but still turns off and doesent go on. tried again an hour later and it still isnt starting at all.