PDA

View Full Version : AAMI Insurance, now car has mods.

r3ckless
03-01-2010, 12:40 AM
Hey guys... have had some mods on my car, and my car is insured full comp with aami.

Now that i have done a few modications like sussy / intake / new wheels (but exact same specs as OEM)

What should i do i nterms of insurance?

Cheers

vinnY
03-01-2010, 01:02 AM
call them and see whether they'll add it to your policy?

DC5.Raven
03-01-2010, 03:10 AM
I thought AAMI will only insure your car if you have a max of only one mod?

tOniies
03-01-2010, 03:41 AM
I'm pretty sure, they differ you to Just Car Insurance. Mainly because AAMI owns that company too.

WATAJK
03-01-2010, 09:10 AM
Nah AAMI have changed the policy from memory because they've lost alot of Customer due to this, alot of people head to JCI (Just Car Insurance) which is owned by AAMI, but im pretty sure AAMI has removed that policy.

Ring them and ask, thats the only way to know.
Let us know how you go!

filip5
03-01-2010, 09:40 AM
Just got to racv they allow more mods stat clear from aami the will insure but if something happens they dont want to know about it

redclown44
03-01-2010, 01:37 PM
just car is the cheapest with listing all your mods. just check up your asset fees as well off memory when i was with RACQ it was about 1.4k for me(still on Green P's)

r3ckless
03-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Well right now, im with aami.. got 70% ncb, my premium is 2800, but im paying 1800 as i put my excess to maximum; $3000 ...

M@lew
03-01-2010, 02:43 PM
AAMI only allows you to have 1 mod if you're under 25, wouldn't insure my car if I had more.

hoey888
03-01-2010, 03:07 PM
not sure if you guys know but AAMI are pretty stingy in regards to repairs... generally their jobs get 'auctioned' off to cheapest repairer...

p3akin
03-01-2010, 03:19 PM
wat if your 25+... unlimited mods?? or what... please info

YBJLS4
03-01-2010, 03:48 PM
aami might dick you, you tell em and IF they do still insure you, next time around, they go, they made some reviews this that and then ur ****ed.

r3ckless
03-01-2010, 05:20 PM
hmm, thats what iwas thinking, btw im 21 also.

tsg88
03-01-2010, 10:56 PM
I plan to not tell AAMI, I went with them cause they had the cheapest third party at the time for the standard vehicle. However my car is a lot older and other than some new wheels and stereo (installed stereo yesterday) I don't plan to do much more other than improve the car and replace missing trim pieces etc, keep it pretty. But I can see where you are coming from.

If I was to insure a heavily modified vehicle I would look elsewhere but I ain't kidding myself, even with wheels and a new stereo the car is still just a 96 Honda EK1 CXi in their books.

M@lew
04-01-2010, 03:40 AM
wat if your 25+... unlimited mods?? or what... please info

Yeah, I when I went in (which was about 1.5 years ago though) I asked them heaps of questions about mods etc and pretty much if you're under 25 you get 1 major mod such as Audio, Exhaust etc and cannot have any other, but when you're over 25 you can have whatever.

Troy
04-01-2010, 06:20 AM
Not telling the insurer of mods you have made to the car is not a good move. If you are involved in a crash and make a claim, they will find out the car is modified (during inspection) and void the insurance on it.

r3ckless
04-01-2010, 08:05 AM
well i got coilovers, cai, changed wheels to itr, but same specs n hid.. dats it

DC5.Raven
04-01-2010, 08:56 AM
well i got coilovers, cai, changed wheels to itr, but same specs n hid.. dats it

If you want to play it safe then switch to Just Cars.
Which is basically the same as AAMI, though I found that their quotes tend to be slightly more expensive.
I have been switched between AAMI and JCI a few times depending on the cars I've driven. Haven't had any problems with either yet.

The other option is that you only tell them about one mod.
Then hope that you never have an accident,
or in the event that you do have an accident, you're able to revert the parts back to stock prior to assessment by AAMI.

EK1.6LCIV
04-01-2010, 12:49 PM
AAMI considered window tiniting a mod when I looked at them over 6yrs ago lol

prob best to switch to Justcars or RACQ

tsg88
04-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Not telling the insurer of mods you have made to the car is not a good move. If you are involved in a crash and make a claim, they will find out the car is modified (during inspection) and void the insurance on it.

I put in a modest Alpine stereo (less than $400 worth), but I told them in the initial qoute that it had alloy wheels, a little white lie but it saves the hassle later when I do put them on. Basically if the worst happens I end up with the vehicles market value minus the access. Being less than 25 kinda sucks with that sort of thing. My car is only worth $4000 to them, minus the access if it gets stolen or burnt out... I'm only seeing around $3k back. Makes it hardly seem worth it, only a few weeks pay haha. But I mainly did it for third party damage.

I believe the main thing to void your insurance policy is performance enhancements.

If it was a performance car I would be looking at Just Car Insurance personally. NRMA/RACQ are the most expensive quotes I've found.

r3ckless
04-01-2010, 04:45 PM
ok, well i hit up AAMI.... told them i am changig the suspension and air intake.... all was good.. premium only went up $208.. and then asked if these two parts can be adjusted into my agreed value... he asked for the two amounts.. in total was 2150, so my agreed value went up by $2150 :D

I'd say its ok, only went up $208 for those two parts!

beeza
04-01-2010, 06:08 PM
Trapped.I'm not paying the ridiculous amounts that insurance companys charge for insuring a 'modified vehicle' so I stick with AAMI.

I have told them about my mods and they listed them all on the computer.

In the event of an accident I was told the mods aren't covered.That's cool,I'm cool with that.

They will pay the market value,which decreases quickly.

I don't trust them one bit and can easily see them not paying out in an accident.

Anyway,I will ring them tomorrow now I've read this and find out the situation forsure,I mean these bloody big companys change thier policy like they change thier undies,ya wouldn't know where ya stand from one day to the next.

The RTA do the same.

euromandeluxe
04-01-2010, 06:18 PM
aami repairs are shithouse, go to an insurance company where in the "unlikely event of an incident" you can get 3 quotes from workshops of YOUR choice and they choose the lowest.

Troy
04-01-2010, 09:46 PM
Back in the day, I bought an XH ute for $10500, a few months later the Mrs wrote it off and insurance paid me out $12000 for it :D

That was with Suncorp Metway at the time, so they do pay up (to Beeza).

beeza
04-01-2010, 10:48 PM
THe rules of the insurance world constantly change so ya gotta check out what they are doing now/what deal they can do for U.

I took my car to AAMI a year ago to get all my mods listed and it was so funny cause 2 women and 2 guys came outside and I was showing them all the mods and they were writing them down but they were so baffled haha,they were like 'so what's that and what does that do?' HAHA,I was just smiling and telling them,they were looking at my car like it was something so foreign to them at the start I almost laughed out loud!
Ya woulda thought it was a spaceship!!!
hahaha

p3akin
07-01-2010, 07:24 PM
cheers M@lew for the info..