PDA

View Full Version : To Mod a Civic VTI-R n tune it with Apexi POWER FC any experience?

ATSEK4
29-11-2004, 11:40 PM
deleted.

**Ghost**
29-11-2004, 11:46 PM
wtf? 11kw? ummm are u sure ur not comparing ur at engine figure from factory (118) to your at wheel figure ? : )

SiR JDM
30-11-2004, 12:47 AM
"not a bad way to spend 10 thousand dollars" or somethin from FnF!

Thats some nice mods... you should be putting out more power imo with all that... Like you said different dynos are different.. was the 11kw increase measured from the same dyno .. the same one u dynoed at stock and at modded?

Ghost wats with ur 2nd post? is that in the right thread? :P

**Ghost**
30-11-2004, 01:22 AM
...... i'm pretty sure my Intake modded civic would pull more than 84 man...

spoondc2
30-11-2004, 01:55 AM
Yea.. it was on the same dyno ! just the 84kw one on different dyno. Need some toda experts to answer my questions.
Ask TODA AU, anyway i asked for you already.......

todaek9
30-11-2004, 04:06 AM
Dude, have you read about Toda Spec A cams?...it is close to CTR cams...So, for me i won't expect so much out of it....i think the most you will gain around 15kw or may b 18kw max??....

Vtec is not an easy power gain engine, and you must accept the fact...if you think that is slow, you're kinda wrong, or lets put it in a nicer way, match your gears with your engine spec, "changing 3rd 4th and 5th and the LSD as well", then only you say that your car is slow...

actually, 11kw gain is quite okay, that means your gain around 17 hp at the engine...not bad what...still quite alot...but if you are expecting 40-50kw gain, 10k is too little to start with i can tell you...even 20k couldn't get you there, you might end up spending around 30k just to get your bloody engine close to 260hp or more, with freaking high compression...and you will also end up with EF Gas running engine....but that can b fix...

anyway, my point is that, 10k, on a honda, err...haha....is really something you cannot expect much out of...

todaek9
30-11-2004, 04:12 AM
the only thing now i'm thinking is that, why people always think that after you port your head and with a bigger TB you will gain alot of power...ehh...sometime BIG doesn't mean you will get more HP, if it's bad, you'll lose power...Vtec, as i always said, the key to optimise the power and the torque is really smooth inlet and outlet, means that your head job must be damn perfect plus matching the flow of TB and intake manifold...with a better compression by using thinner gasket and Shaving bitz of the head, you can get a pretty good responsive car....other than that, if up to you to find out yourself...hehe...ehhh..i might be wrong, tats my own concept anyway...hehe...

todaek9
30-11-2004, 04:13 AM
one more thing, i've read this web, saying an ITR using Toda C cams is going at 280hp...i wonder how they do that, if anyone knows, please tell me...

TODA AU
30-11-2004, 05:26 AM
ATSEK4
Unfortunatly, your set-up is ordinary at best.
It is clear a less than ideal combination of parts, combined with possible poor head porting & possible poor assembly, when mixed with tuning of any ability nets the power results you've got...
As harsh as it may sound, did you get what you paid for?

[G]
30-11-2004, 07:31 AM
Id lose the 70mm TB and perhaps go with an ITR one for the setup you have.

DynoDave
30-11-2004, 07:41 AM
ATSEK4
Unfortunatly, your set-up is ordinary at best.
It is clear a less than ideal combination of parts, combined with possible poor head porting & possible poor assembly, when mixed with tuning of any ability nets the power results you've got...
As harsh as it may sound, did you get what you paid for?Just what I was going to say Adrain.:thumbsup:
There are a few B16A powered Civic's running around that have no internal mods done to the engine only H/E/I and some form of ECU controller or a complete stand alone ECU and are making more power than this car.
Regards Dyno Dave

SPEEDCORE
30-11-2004, 08:29 AM
Toda A cam,
Toda A CAM

Just to help you guys out a bit...... is it safe to say that you are running only one Toda A cam?? Like just the intake cam?

blackek
30-11-2004, 09:22 AM
for me...would never spend 10k on an b16a.....rather use that money to get a b16b conversion done or buy a DC2r instead?!!? also, imo "expensive stuff = good quality" doesn't always work on Honda car. :rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes:

SiR JDM
30-11-2004, 12:09 PM
hahah i dind't mean to mislead people when i said 10k... its just a quote from fast n furious..

I have no idea how much he spent on the car so .. thats the origin of the 10k

ATSEK4
01-12-2004, 05:43 AM
I went to a workshop called centrax today, i let them tried my car, what they said was "Slow" really shit mid range and said they used to have a b16a could beat wrx on drag with less mod than i got. (I dun have the LSD and ATS final drive yet, i am going to install them soon.) I was really sad... so i went to test with a dc2 VTI-R, i used to beat a stock dc2 vtir at 1st and 2nd, at 3rd gear we were both the same.. he did't come up and i didn't pull away till the end of 3rd.

After those people said my car is a joke, and they also had a thinking of that my exhaust system is a fake copy.. i went to race one of there customer just now, it was really fun.
This guy has a very nice dc2 vtir with full exhuast system and endless engine oil filter etc... his extractor is what people said the best manifold in the world, and cat back is 5zigen. THis extractor cost $1500 aud even more than a mugen one.

I found that the "maxi worx" extractor does increase power, yet most likely at mid range but not high end. We rev up to 4000rpm to start, at 1st was the same 2nd he pulls up a little bit, until 3rd gear i beat him at the high end, however 4th gear he pulled back up again. i lose as it was reaching the corner. It was really fun testing. And my mid range b4 vtec is really shit.. y ? something wrong.. who can help?

ATSEK4
01-12-2004, 05:52 AM
A dyno tuner asked me to take off the Toda cam said toda and spoon are crap.. kept on say the cam i have is worn out as i bought it second handed from my friend. They are trying to sell me a set of xxcxing expensive custom made cams for $920.. pissed me off... i trust toda man.. my friends all gain power from toda cams.

The thing is i found that they dun wanna fixed my problem, they dun wanna follow toda spec to do the valve clearance.. they even forgot what they did..

anyway i found that even this time i gained some power by tightening those applets as it was losing miles b4.
On the dyno graph with the A cam, i made power at the highend after vtec kicks in. thatz funny, my friend used to gained a bit of power at highend but a lot of gain on mid range. same as the other guy too.. i think they must not fit it porperly again.. i am totally screwed.. all these bad luck.. i can not afford 500 tuning everytime.. I tried APC, C&J, Charies.. no one could fixed my problem. everyone were saying i should make more power with all these.. but they dun give a shit. didn't even wanan help me to find out my problem.....coz they think honda is shit. asked me to fit put turbo in. ... :confused:

[G]
01-12-2004, 08:23 AM
70mm TB is huge for the setup you have. Remember bigger isnt always better - i would seriously think about switching to an ITR TB.

ENDLESS
01-12-2004, 01:38 PM
I went to a workshop called centrax today, i let them tried my car, what they said was "Slow" really shit mid range and said they used to have a b16a could beat wrx on drag with less mod than i got. (I dun have the LSD and ATS final drive yet, i am going to install them soon.) I was really sad... so i went to test with a dc2 VTI-R, i used to beat a stock dc2 vtir at 1st and 2nd, at 3rd gear we were both the same.. he did't come up and i didn't pull away till the end of 3rd.

After those people said my car is a joke, and they also had a thinking of that my exhaust system is a fake copy.. i went to race one of there customer just now, it was really fun.
This guy has a very nice dc2 vtir with full exhuast system and endless engine oil filter etc... his extractor is what people said the best manifold in the world, and cat back is 5zigen. THis extractor cost $1500 aud even more than a mugen one.

I found that the "maxi worx" extractor does increase power, yet most likely at mid range but not high end. We rev up to 4000rpm to start, at 1st was the same 2nd he pulls up a little bit, until 3rd gear i beat him at the high end, however 4th gear he pulled back up again. i lose as it was reaching the corner. It was really fun testing. And my mid range b4 vtec is really shit.. y ? something wrong.. who can help?
ATSEK4.... I didn't say your car is shit... I just said it does not seem to have good mid range...As for beating WRX, yes I did against some friends who have GC8 and GD none sti.... but they both stock cars....(and my eg civic was tunned by different place as where you did yours) Also, as for DC2 Vtir they have variable intake chamber... thus its mid range is better and u will not feel that VTEC changes like the civic does...JD's vtir is got 200cc bigger in capacity... so...

Anyway I think Adrian from TODA can help you lots with the problem you are currently facing.... power is never really my field, thus we do not drag anymore we only do circuit racing....

Civic Type R
01-12-2004, 01:56 PM
Dude, have you read about Toda Spec A cams?...it is close to CTR cams...So, for me i won't expect so much out of it....i think the most you will gain around 15kw or may b 18kw max??....
but if you are expecting 40-50kw gain, 10k is too little to start with i can tell you...even 20k couldn't get you there, you might end up spending around 30k just to get your bloody engine close to 260hp or more, with freaking high compression...and you will also end up with EF Gas running engine....but that can b fix...I can argue that fact.

When i did my first exhaust mod - 4-1 header, high flow cat, 2 1/4 cat back and mugen muffler, i gained 10HP alone with the same car.

Now the point im argueing is where you said 40-50kw gain. I spent well under 10k to get from 160HP to 215HP. Just buy a JDM B18cR engine and drop that in. It is a direct bolt in job and theres 42kw right thurr ! :thumbsup: and mine isnt fully tuned yet ;)

ATSEK4
01-12-2004, 03:04 PM
ATSEK4.... I didn't say your car is shit... I just said it does not seem to have good mid range...As for beating WRX, yes I did against some friends who have GC8 and GD none sti.... but they both stock cars....(and my eg civic was tunned by different place as where you did yours) Also, as for DC2 Vtir they have variable intake chamber... thus its mid range is better and u will not feel that VTEC changes like the civic does...JD's vtir is got 200cc bigger in capacity... so...

Anyway I think Adrian from TODA can help you lots with the problem you are currently facing.... power is never really my field, thus we do not drag anymore we only do circuit racing....

Hey Chris, i didn't say you said my car is shit`!..you are really right, JD's Car is 1.8 his mid range supposed to be a lot better than mine. We have swapped our car last nite, and i found that his mid range is awesome i love it, this is 1.8 power? I really didn't feel the vtec kicks in like my civic. After we swapped it over again, i found that my car is really really really light comparing with jd's car, this is probably one of the reason that i could follow up..

I feel really happy for JD, as his car really gain a lot of power from the exhaust system. as i tested with a stock dc2 vtir last week. Should i be consider to get a maxi worx manifold to improve my mid range? coz JD said the manifold has big different on mid range.

Anyway, the suspension setting you did for my car is very good Thanks ! even the car is now higher, i found that i could drive a lot easier on the mountain and the car is not jumping that much anymore.

I dun like much drag racing actually, i would have put a turbo in if i like drag racing.. i just wanna test whether my car has any gain (always just testing not racing), i only go when i have done something else and test with the same car. Because i dun trust dyno anymore.

If i can stay in australia i will definitely aim on improving my skills on track. and i am going to learn from the queensland raceway champion u :p . please dun think i am just so stupid aiming on power but not skills. I have no time :( , i might leave australia at the end of next year, when i am back to hk i dun even drive anymore as you know hk.. and the only thing i wanna do is to successfully mod my car. Coz i had too much bad experiences with my vw... and spent too much time and money. I dun wanna regret the whole life by used to have an unsuccessful lose power civic. Please understand !

ATSEK4
01-12-2004, 03:09 PM
I can argue that fact.

When i did my first exhaust mod - 4-1 header, high flow cat, 2 1/4 cat back and mugen muffler, i gained 10HP alone with the same car.

Now the point im argueing is where you said 40-50kw gain. I spent well under 10k to get from 160HP to 215HP. Just buy a JDM B18cR engine and drop that in. It is a direct bolt in job and theres 42kw right thurr ! :thumbsup: and mine isnt fully tuned yet ;)

oh man.. you are doing the right thing by puting B18cR engine. what if you get defected and they found that your car is not 1.6?

SINISTR
01-12-2004, 03:19 PM
oh man.. you are doing the right thing by puting B18cR engine. what if you get defected and they found that your car is not 1.6?

you change the engine specs on the licence papers... so theres no problem there at all...

ENDLESS
01-12-2004, 03:26 PM
Vicent at least you have been there done that... I used to race on street when I was much younger (around 8~10 yrs ago)

I think improving on the skill is the best thing u can get... everyone can get a good and fast car... but skill... you will own it for life... come to the track more often I think lots of people will be happy to see you guys at the track.... and this is the only legal place for you to test out your car too;)

As for all the mods you have done, that car should be very fast...I believe toda cams are good (I used them too don't forget) and u can notice the difference more on the track too... (mods on the cars) so... u learn what is good and what is not... and who tell u the truth...(because all the tunner will tell you they are the best...so... who do you have to trust? the best way is to test it out)

Civic Type R
01-12-2004, 03:44 PM
you change the engine specs on the licence papers... so theres no problem there at all...:thumbsup:
exactly that, its legal to do ;)

blackek
01-12-2004, 05:26 PM
[QUOTE=ENDLESS]I think improving on the skill is the best thing u can get... everyone can get a good and fast car... but skill... you will own it for life...

AGREE x 100000 :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :D

spoondc2
02-12-2004, 01:42 AM
Vincient, just like what i've said to you........ do the mod step by step then you'll know which mod is giving you power and which one does not

anyway, you can test drive my car if you want to, at least mine one is close to standard, so you could know how a 1.8 litre feels like

Last thing, mod do have a price, but skill has no price, it's internal and stay in your brain forever

ATSEK4
02-12-2004, 01:12 PM
Vincient, just like what i've said to you........ do the mod step by step then you'll know which mod is giving you power and which one does not

anyway, you can test drive my car if you want to, at least mine one is close to standard, so you could know how a 1.8 litre feels like

Last thing, mod do have a price, but skill has no price, it's internal and stay in your brain forever

I was doing the mod step by step.. but the thing is, everything has to be balance, like you won't put the cam shaft in try it and then put cam gear, then try headgasket then try piston. Labour is very expensive...
if someone love to try it this way.. he must be very rich..

You guys are really funny.. the topic is "To Mod a Civic VTI-R n tune it with Apexi POWER FC any experience?" Obveriously i am aiming with car performance.

Of course everyone can have a nice looking and fast car but not skills. I know u know even my dog knows. :D

Right now my problem is my car performance !!! Not my skills !!! sigh !!
Skills is experiences, got it from practice !! Like not many people can drive faster than me when i am on my way home. Coz i drive it everyday.

The fact is everyone have their own way to enjoy their car,
i like to successfully mod this civic, at the moment i am not trying to acheive anything on QR, 0-400m.. however.. my goal is to make the car look nicer, and make sure it is faster from the mods i did. Can you guys get where i am coming from? I told you before man...

Everyone has different direction to enjoy their car. I am pretty sure this forum is not just talking about racing on track and how to improve skills.

like go for the nice bodykits, music , drag racing, mountain racing, track racing, cruising around, showing off, daily drive, pick up chicks...etc ! ! !

I do agree Chris, Go on track is the saftest place i ever go ! i had a lot of fun on QR.

i love my civic so much, so dun ask me y didn't i get a dc2r at the first place..

yesterday i tested drive my friends stock dcr2 and dcr Vtir already.. i could feel how good 1.8 is.. very nice !! I found that before vtec kicks in they are both pretty much the same, when vtec kicks in the dc2r's rpm goes a lot faster than the vtir.. and dc2r's 3rd is unbeatable.

ENDLESS
02-12-2004, 03:40 PM
so...how is stock vtir compare to JD's?

edw-R
02-12-2004, 04:43 PM
Yeah, i completely agree with you. If you want to improve your skill, you need to practice and practice. Practice make PERFECT, WHO DOESN'T KNOW??? LOL . Let's say the destinatioin is my home, race with me!! See see who can win.
Andthen, i also agree with Chris. Quote: "As for all the mods you have done, that car should be very fast...I believe toda cams are good (I used them too don't forget) and u can notice the difference more on the track too... (mods on the cars) so... u learn what is good and what is not... and who tell u the truth...(because all the tunner will tell you they are the best...so... who do you have to trust? the best way is to test it out)". Yeah, no one know what is wrong and what is right. The best way is to test it out. That's great. ATSEK4 is trying to test it, finding problem, solving problem and share his experience. He did it, I feel proud. He shared his experience to all people in this forum. Great!!! Never do it and never know it. Try your best to do it, most of people in this forum will support you to solve problem. No worry.

ATSEK4
02-12-2004, 06:55 PM
so...how is stock vtir compare to JD's?

you mean stock civic vtir or stock dc2 vtir?

i found that JD's car has a lot better 1st and 2nd gear comparing with the stock dc2 Vtir, yet on 3rd gear the high end of his car is not as good as stock.. i have been driven his car.. his mid range is very strong.. might be better than stock dc2R.. dun know..

he also tested with albert's civic vtir what he got is custom extractor, japs mid to end.. arc air box, cold air induction and uni chip... Albert could just see JD's number plate at 2nd gear, when 3rd gear jd's vtec kicked in, start pulling a lot and even 4th gear. at the end the gap between two cars is around 2.5 car spaces..

I am going to test wtih JD again after i have replace my clutch and flywheel lsd and final gear.. so i will know on which gear my car go faster. This is my way to test it.. of course not on the street, we go somewhere far away in ipswich ! no one on cars no cops nth !

ATSEK4
02-12-2004, 06:59 PM

i found that JD's car has a lot better 1st and 2nd gear comparing with the stock dc2 Vtir, yet on 3rd gear the high end of his car is not as good as stock.. i have been driven his car.. his mid range is very strong.. might be better than stock dc2R.. dun know.. if i won the gold lottle i will get 1.8 kit.

he also tested with albert's civic vtir what he got is custom extractor, japs mid to end.. arc air box, cold air induction and uni chip... Albert could just see JD's number plate at 2nd gear, when 3rd gear jd's vtec kicked in, start pulling a lot and even 4th gear. at the end the gap between two cars is around 2.5 car spaces..

I am going to test wtih JD again after i have replace my clutch and flywheel lsd and final gear.. so i will know on which gear my car go faster. This is my way to test it.. of course not on the street, we go somewhere far away in ipswich ! no one on cars no cops nth !

spoondc2
02-12-2004, 08:32 PM
I used to type a whole paragraph to reply, but i just don't wanna post it, don't wanna start any war here.........

Vincient, if you want to know more about how to mod your car, go to Technical, All Motors or Track/Drag Race forum, you'll find out more........... I am not giving any offence here, I know you care about your car so much, and i don't mean to say anything to make you pissed off

ATSEK4
03-12-2004, 01:39 AM
I used to type a whole paragraph to reply, but i just don't wanna post it, don't wanna start any war here.........

Vincient, if you want to know more about how to mod your car, go to Technical, All Motors or Track/Drag Race forum, you'll find out more........... I am not giving any offence here, I know you care about your car so much, and i don't mean to say anything to make you pissed off

what paragraph? what war? its a forum man.. we are here to share our car experience.. if you are disagree plz say it man y war ? we are friends? wtf? :confused: , u will never pissed me off at all...i am always happy to hear anyone's comment.. ring me or talk to me on msn about what u think if you dun wanna piss pepole off. I might learn something man ! I dun think i will get any help from any forum.. because i dun see anyone wants to share their experience. and i dun even think anyone ever had a situation like me that bad luck.. .. i have no mood to drive if i can never solve the problem.

Fun to talk here man.. i am just wondering if TODA AU ever put a EK4 with similer mods i have on a dyno... different dyno has different numbers, even different tyres, rims.

anyway just say what you feel like to say.. no war here.. again we are here to have fun and get to know more about hondas..

ENDLESS
03-12-2004, 09:00 AM

i found that JD's car has a lot better 1st and 2nd gear comparing with the stock dc2 Vtir, yet on 3rd gear the high end of his car is not as good as stock.. i have been driven his car.. his mid range is very strong.. might be better than stock dc2R.. dun know..

I am going to test wtih JD again after i have replace my clutch and flywheel lsd and final gear.. so i will know on which gear my car go faster. This is my way to test it.. of course not on the street, we go somewhere far away in ipswich ! no one on cars no cops nth !Vicent...you going to change clutch fly wheel presure plate and LSD? what brands are they? also do u know most of the LSD does not come with bearings to hold them in gear box?(u need to get genuine ones)

Also as for JD's car... I am suprised to hear that you say it is faster on 1 &2nd gear compare to stock... but slower than stock after 3rd...because this can never happen... a faster engine is always faster...no matter on what gear.. however you have your opinion...so... I am not here to offend...

As far as the cam tunning... I wish I can help here... but without looking at what has been done internally I don't think their is much I can help... (I guess none of the tech can help unless they see your car)

As for ECU tunning... I think all shops are ok... because they would have some exprience with the B16 with power FC... like Andy's dc2r... that is not bad at all... his dc2r have more power compare to my dc5r, although my engine is still stock and I do not have ECU...

ATSEK4
03-12-2004, 11:38 AM
Hi Chris, i bought the excedy clutch and spoon fly wheel, the LSD is taken out from a civic type R EK9.. i will bring it to honda and show them if i need anything else..coz i booked in to install them all in honda.

hey i feel like to let you look at the internal.. but do i need to tune the car again if you have move something? like change the valve clearence?

in my own experience, after i tuned my car in apc with power fc, i found that my car has better 0-100, but slower 0-400... rpm goes really slow on my 3rd.. so i went to tested with the stock dc2vtir, i used to test with him b4 power fc.. it was just full exhaust system. we were pretty much the same on each gear. after i tuned the car with the power fc and got bigger manifold and using pod filter, i found that i couldn't start my car at the same rpm.. it will spin like hell at 5000.. i beat him on first and 2nd about 1 car space between us. but on 3rd he was pulling up so fast and we have 2 car spaces between us after his 4th.

What i can say is.. maybe he improved his shifting skills.. or my car really goes slower.
it is hard to say.. or maybe when i tesed with the stock dc2 vtir he said i didn't pully away till the end of his 3rd.. becoz i could rev higher.. so the end of his 3rd is not the end of my 3rd. Just like i test with JD.. i could hear he shifted but i was still doing with my 3rd.. i could rev up to 8700.. i wonder how cool it is when your eg rev up to 9250.. !

SPEEDCORE
03-12-2004, 01:10 PM
Hi Chris, i bought the excedy clutch and spoon fly wheel, the LSD is taken out from a civic type R EK9.. i will bring it to honda and show them if i need anything else..coz i booked in to install them all in honda.
You do know the LSD is not a direct fit/bolt in don't you?

**Ghost**
03-12-2004, 01:56 PM
wot needs to be done?

spoondc2
03-12-2004, 02:46 PM
what paragraph? what war? its a forum man.. we are here to share our car experience.. if you are disagree plz say it man y war ? we are friends? wtf? :confused: , u will never pissed me off at all...i am always happy to hear anyone's comment.. ring me or talk to me on msn about what u think if you dun wanna piss pepole off. I might learn something man ! I dun think i will get any help from any forum.. because i dun see anyone wants to share their experience. and i dun even think anyone ever had a situation like me that bad luck.. .. i have no mood to drive if i can never solve the problem.

Fun to talk here man.. i am just wondering if TODA AU ever put a EK4 with similer mods i have on a dyno... different dyno has different numbers, even different tyres, rims.

anyway just say what you feel like to say.. no war here.. again we are here to have fun and get to know more about hondas..
Alright man....... just wanna tell you something, what you've said has make someone pissed off...... just wanna let you know

anyway, everyone is sharing their experience here, but it's just not your cup of tea, they RECOMMEND you to practice skills but no one force you to listen, if you don't like it, just don't reply, i really don't mean anything so don't think i am trying to challenge you or something, just once again, the word you've used pissed someone off(someone told me), it's not me cos you will never piss me off so just want you to notice

If you think you couldn't get any help from any forum from anybody, it is because you post to the wrong forum, try to put it to the Technical or All Motor forum, they will be ppl going to answer you, so don't worry man. I told you i've been trying to ask around for you, so once again, don't worry........

cusco echo
03-12-2004, 03:16 PM
couldnt say a word, as i dont own a vtec here
but just claim down everyone, ATSEK4 is just trying to find out the problem here, if any of you guys get any suggestions that would help him to find out the problem here, please do...

spoondc2
03-12-2004, 03:23 PM
couldnt say a word, as i dont own a vtec here
but just claim down everyone, ATSEK4 is just trying to find out the problem here, if any of you guys get any suggestions that would help him to find out the problem here, please do...
I know....... no war here....... I just said people also have rights to share their own experience here...... no one is wrong, ATSEK4 ask a q's, then ppl ans with their recommendations..... right? we (ME, ATSEK4, edw-R and ENDLESS) are all fds so we don't have any problems here, except ppl who like to light up the fire, hopefully it's still go fine right now

SPEEDCORE
03-12-2004, 03:58 PM
wot needs to be done?
Different ring gear for starters.

ENDLESS
06-12-2004, 09:27 AM

hey i feel like to let you look at the internal.. but do i need to tune the car again if you have move something? like change the valve clearence?

in my own experience, after i tuned my car in apc with power fc, i found that my car has better 0-100, but slower 0-400... rpm goes really slow on my 3rd.. so i went to tested with the stock dc2vtir, i used to test with him b4 power fc.. it was just full exhaust system. we were pretty much the same on each gear. after i tuned the car with the power fc and got bigger manifold and using pod filter, i found that i couldn't start my car at the same rpm.. it will spin like hell at 5000.. i beat him on first and 2nd about 1 car space between us. but on 3rd he was pulling up so fast and we have 2 car spaces between us after his 4th.

What i can say is.. maybe he improved his shifting skills.. or my car really goes slower.
it is hard to say.. or maybe when i tesed with the stock dc2 vtir he said i didn't pully away till the end of his 3rd.. becoz i could rev higher.. so the end of his 3rd is not the end of my 3rd. Just like i test with JD.. i could hear he shifted but i was still doing with my 3rd.. i could rev up to 8700.. i wonder how cool it is when your eg rev up to 9250.. !
What have you done? Vicent... the LSD for EK4 and EK9 are totally different....:( thats why EK9's drive shaft are thicker..... dang dang dang.... well... 2 ways you can solve this... 1 sale the EK9 LSD and get your self a EK4 one, 2 get EK9 drive shafts.... which are the same as the dc2r from memory.... and for me... I have taken the 1st choice and go for the CUSCO LSD for EK4... but then you will need to get bearings for the ends on the LSD from HONDA... they cost a lot too.... dang dang dang...

By the way..which HONDA are you going to take the EK to? my friend Scott have just won the 1st place for the best technician in QLD... if you really want to take the car back to HONDA, I believe he will be the best to handle your job.

Vicent I really do not know why your car behave like that... but if the car is faster from 1st gear then it should be faster all the way... unless the torque of your car have dropped due to the modification... (which is very unlikely)

with EK4... if the engine is well balanced and all parts have been weighted before installation then the engine should be able to rev very hard....my B16A have no porting done it it.. except the shave off..(which you need to do anyway... to clean up the head... so the head will not leak) my B16A sounds kind of like motor bike engine... not sure how to explain LOL

I think the most important thing in modification is if you are happy with what you have done...

ATSEK4
06-12-2004, 12:01 PM
What have you done? Vicent... the LSD for EK4 and EK9 are totally different....:( thats why EK9's drive shaft are thicker..... dang dang dang.... well... 2 ways you can solve this... 1 sale the EK9 LSD and get your self a EK4 one, 2 get EK9 drive shafts.... which are the same as the dc2r from memory.... and for me... I have taken the 1st choice and go for the CUSCO LSD for EK4... but then you will need to get bearings for the ends on the LSD from HONDA... they cost a lot too.... dang dang dang...

By the way..which HONDA are you going to take the EK to? my friend Scott have just won the 1st place for the best technician in QLD... if you really want to take the car back to HONDA, I believe he will be the best to handle your job.

Vicent I really do not know why your car behave like that... but if the car is faster from 1st gear then it should be faster all the way... unless the torque of your car have dropped due to the modification... (which is very unlikely)

with EK4... if the engine is well balanced and all parts have been weighted before installation then the engine should be able to rev very hard....my B16A have no porting done it it.. except the shave off..(which you need to do anyway... to clean up the head... so the head will not leak) my B16A sounds kind of like motor bike engine... not sure how to explain LOL

I think the most important thing in modification is if you are happy with what you have done...

Hmm.. thx for letting me know.. if the lsd won't fit i will sell it and i won't get the cusco one, coz i bought the lsd cheap and just want to fit everything together to save up the labour.

I am going to Highway Honda to do the job, as my friends civic used to install a cusco LSD and final drive there. It is somehow hard to get honda do install after market parts.. i know that guy so he is happy to do it.

Nth i can do by just talking.. i need to send it to a workshop which is very serious and careful.. but i dun know where to go..

I am thinking to try Endless engine oil, as JD said it is a lot smoother than motul 300v, and even last longer. if it last longer i better off try, coz i get my oil change every 2000k with 300v.

I am not happy on what i have done.. let me tell you what mods made me happy !

Motul 300V
Hotwire
Carbon fiber bonnet
suspension
rims

thatz it ! :D

Civic Type R
06-12-2004, 12:33 PM
What have you done? Vicent... the LSD for EK4 and EK9 are totally different....:( thats why EK9's drive shaft are thicker..... dang dang dang.... well... 2 ways you can solve this... 1 sale the EK9 LSD and get your self a EK4 one, 2 get EK9 drive shafts.... which are the same as the dc2r from memory.... and for me... I have taken the 1st choice and go for the CUSCO LSD for EK4... but then you will need to get bearings for the ends on the LSD from HONDA... they cost a lot too.... dang dang dang...umm are you sure ???
I fitted a JDM ITR gearbox with this LSD to my EK4 and it was a direct bolt up - 2 hour job remove and refit :thumbsup:

ALL B SERIES PARTS ARE INTERCHANGEABLE

ENDLESS
06-12-2004, 12:49 PM
umm are you sure ???
I fitted a JDM ITR gearbox with this LSD to my EK4 and it was a direct bolt up - 2 hour job remove and refit :thumbsup:

ALL B SERIES PARTS ARE INTERCHANGEABLEUnless your EK4 come standard whith a helical LSD.... which for AUSDM EK4s they do not come with one as standard, AUSDM come with open diff...

Checked with CUSCO part number the Open diff version of EK4(AUSDM model have to use part number LSD318 ... and for EK9 its LSD328....

Civic Type R
06-12-2004, 12:51 PM
i have a AUDM VTiR, no LSD option. - everything fitted perfectly ...

ENDLESS
06-12-2004, 12:53 PM
Hmm.. thx for letting me know.. if the lsd won't fit i will sell it and i won't get the cusco one, coz i bought the lsd cheap and just want to fit everything together to save up the labour.

I am going to Highway Honda to do the job, as my friends civic used to install a cusco LSD and final drive there. It is somehow hard to get honda do install after market parts.. i know that guy so he is happy to do it.

Nth i can do by just talking.. i need to send it to a workshop which is very serious and careful.. but i dun know where to go..

I am thinking to try Endless engine oil, as JD said it is a lot smoother than motul 300v, and even last longer. if it last longer i better off try, coz i get my oil change every 2000k with 300v.

I am not happy on what i have done.. let me tell you what mods made me happy !

Motul 300V
Hotwire
Carbon fiber bonnet
suspension
rims

thatz it ! :D
well...what are u confused about? When my friend David got his DC5R back from that HONDA you mentioned before (after they inspected and replace the mechanical parts) the engine mount come back up side down... that really frick me out.... anyway we are mortal... so... we can all make mistakes...

ENDLESS
06-12-2004, 12:55 PM
i have a AUDM VTiR, no LSD option. - everything fitted perfectly ...Well.... I don't know why too.... but I have checked my drive shaft from my old Civic and its not the same as the DC2R...

ATSEK4
06-12-2004, 12:57 PM
i have a AUDM VTiR, no LSD option. - everything fitted perfectly ...

So you fitted the ITR gear box to your EK4 direct bolt in? and you have mentioned you put same LSD into your EK4 gear box ? is that mean you put ITR LSD into EK4 gear box ? thx

Civic Type R
06-12-2004, 01:01 PM
So you fitted the ITR gear box to your EK4 direct bolt in? and you have mentioned you put same LSD into your EK4 gear box ? is that mean you put ITR LSD into EK4 gear box ? thxyes that is correct.
The ITR gearbox has the LSD stock within the box. It bolted directly up to the existing EK4 :)

ATSEK4
06-12-2004, 01:13 PM
yes that is correct.
The ITR gearbox has the LSD stock within the box. It bolted directly up to the existing EK4 :)

So do you think the LSD will fit on my gear box ?

SPEEDCORE
06-12-2004, 03:53 PM
Taken off an american site....

B16 Ring gear... 4.25" http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMTY4MTgyNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D/img]

ITR/CTR ring gear 4.5" [img]http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMTY4MTgxNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D

By the looks of things.... you are going to need a ITR/CTR final drive to match...... 4.7 ?

Or if you are keeping the B16 final drive, you need to fit the original ring gear to the CTR diff you have..... which I have my doubts the bolt holes will match up but can not personally confirm for you Vincent, sorry.

Hope this helps clear things up a bit. Good luck.

Civic Type R
06-12-2004, 04:06 PM
id just get an ITR gearbox. Better gearing and comes with LSD.
plus its cheaper to install than a LSD !

SPEEDCORE
06-12-2004, 04:09 PM
plus its cheaper to install than a LSD !Seems like an easier and more frugal option doesn't it. :) Don't know about cheaper though.

ATSEK4
06-12-2004, 05:05 PM
Seems like an easier and more frugal option doesn't it. :) Don't know about cheaper though.

For me LSD is optional, my main purpose for this job is to install a final drive (4.92) clutch and flywheel. so if it won't fit it doesn't matter.

I talked to the workshop in hong Kong they said all LSD are the same.. you can share everything with itr,ctr and sir (EK4).

But anyway different people say different things..i won't know until i try it. I booked in honda in mid of this month, if it does fit i will ask them whether the lsd will fit my standard ring gear or i got my final drive to fit. Adrian there is another one of sale too..

hmm.. i was thinking to get an ITR gear box.. it has everything. lsd, 4.78 final drive, closer 3rd gear ratio.. cheap labour and direct bolt in.

by fitting the LSD final drive clutch and flywheel cost me 700-750 labour in honda. Thatz y i do everything at once. Even i just install the final drive it will still be the same price.

ATSEK4
06-12-2004, 05:09 PM
plus its cheaper to install than a LSD !

hi mr.civic type R, would you mind to tell me the difference after you put the ITR gear box in you ek4? like better low,mid range? or all the way?

what else have you done? Are you using stock ECU or something else?

Civic Type R
06-12-2004, 05:59 PM
You will usually find a different answer when that person is selling that particular item ! Thats the truth right thurr ...

The JDM ITR gearbox is damn awsome. The LSD rips in hard and when accellerating it satys in vtec when changing up gears. It accellerates faster too. I went from a 16.2 to a 14.8 1/4 mile. Its a linear drivetrain change so its consistant across the rev range. It wont increase your power but it will deliver that power to the road more effectively than the existing EK4 box. Yes thats also with stock ECU.

ENDLESS
06-12-2004, 06:05 PM
For me LSD is optional, my main purpose for this job is to install a final drive (4.92) clutch and flywheel. so if it won't fit it doesn't matter.

I talked to the workshop in hong Kong they said all LSD are the same.. you can share everything with itr,ctr and sir (EK4).

But anyway different people say different things..i won't know until i try it. I booked in honda in mid of this month, if it does fit i will ask them whether the lsd will fit my standard ring gear or i got my final drive to fit. Adrian there is another one of sale too..

hmm.. i was thinking to get an ITR gear box.. it has everything. lsd, 4.78 final drive, closer 3rd gear ratio.. cheap labour and direct bolt in.

by fitting the LSD final drive clutch and flywheel cost me 700-750 labour in honda. Thatz y i do everything at once. Even i just install the final drive it will still be the same price.Vicent... take a look at the part number from Cusco japan site and Spoon Japan site... the part number for the LSD on the DC2R, EK9 are not the same as EK4...

http://www.cusco.co.jp/04ctl/lsd_pdf/lsd_14a.pdf

http://www.spoon.jp/jpn/products/lineup_main.php?page=048

ATSEK4
06-12-2004, 06:17 PM
You will usually find a different answer when that person is selling that particular item ! Thats the truth right thurr ...

The JDM ITR gearbox is damn awsome. The LSD rips in hard and when accellerating it satys in vtec when changing up gears. It accellerates faster too. I went from a 16.2 to a 14.8 1/4 mile. Its a linear drivetrain change so its consistant across the rev range. It wont increase your power but it will deliver that power to the road more effectively than the existing EK4 box. Yes thats also with stock ECU.

thatz a big difference.. that was with the B16A or B18c engine?
so 16.2 with B16a, and 14.8 with b16a and itr gear box only? thx !

ATSEK4
06-12-2004, 06:29 PM
Vicent... take a look at the part number from Cusco japan site and Spoon Japan site... the part number for the LSD on the DC2R, EK9 are not the same as EK4...

http://www.cusco.co.jp/04ctl/lsd_pdf/lsd_14a.pdf

http://www.spoon.jp/jpn/products/lineup_main.php?page=048

hmm.. i agree with the evidence you provided THX for helping .. i will still give it a try as it doesn't cost me extra anyway.. then i will get a refund if i can.. anyway i will let you know.

I am planning to book in and adjust/check my valve clearence, as that shop was trying to put 0.4 clearlance like standard, but after i said it is 0.2 cold and they said really? and look at the tools and said.. oh yea it was 0.2.. my mistake.. :confused: i have no idea.

I am pretty sure what i have done is completly right.. as i did a lot of research.. just the tuning and the cam should make sure i was installed correctly.

ENDLESS
07-12-2004, 09:00 AM
hmm.. i agree with the evidence you provided THX for helping .. i will still give it a try as it doesn't cost me extra anyway.. then i will get a refund if i can.. anyway i will let you know.

I am planning to book in and adjust/check my valve clearence, as that shop was trying to put 0.4 clearlance like standard, but after i said it is 0.2 cold and they said really? and look at the tools and said.. oh yea it was 0.2.. my mistake.. :confused: i have no idea.

I am pretty sure what i have done is completly right.. as i did a lot of research.. just the tuning and the cam should make sure i was installed correctly.We will need to keep the car for whole day... or even better over night...because all cylinder will be cooled down and have equal temperture thus the adjustment can be more accurate...

Since you have the LSD already...ask the installer before they open up the gear box...because it will be cheaper for you....

Civic Type R
07-12-2004, 09:34 AM
thatz a big difference.. that was with the B16A or B18c engine?
so 16.2 with B16a, and 14.8 with b16a and itr gear box only? thx !with B16A2 AUDM VTiR hatch

ATSEK4
07-12-2004, 12:05 PM
We will need to keep the car for whole day... or even better over night...because all cylinder will be cooled down and have equal temperture thus the adjustment can be more accurate...

Since you have the LSD already...ask the installer before they open up the gear box...because it will be cheaper for you....

Thx chris.. I thought i gotta open the gear box to install everything. hey have u got any comment about BP or Shell? say something in the other topic called BP vs shell ! thx !

ATSEK4
07-12-2004, 12:06 PM
with B16A2 AUDM VTiR hatch

Thatz really kool.. have u tried with your B18C ?

Civic Type R
07-12-2004, 01:18 PM
14.2 with the same 60' times

SPEEDCORE
07-12-2004, 03:06 PM

:eek: :thumbsup:

ATSEK4
07-12-2004, 10:12 PM

thatz really quick !

tanghy
08-12-2004, 12:20 PM
Thx chris.. I thought i gotta open the gear box to install everything.
you don't have to open the gearbox to install clutch or flywheel

tanghy
08-12-2004, 12:53 PM
and if you buy a 4.9 make sure it is for ek4

ATSEK4
08-12-2004, 03:41 PM
you don't have to open the gearbox to install clutch or flywheel

i know... not was not saying the clutch and flywheel.. the everything means the final gear.. and lsd.. thx anyway !

ATSEK4
08-12-2004, 03:43 PM
and if you buy a 4.9 make sure it is for ek4
Yes it is for EK4, for B16A2..

you got experience on putting final gear ? tell me how you feel thx !!!

edw-R
08-12-2004, 03:51 PM
Well done!! Hope you can success!! Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tanghy
08-12-2004, 09:16 PM
i know... not was not saying the clutch and flywheel.. the everything means the final gear.. and lsd.. thx anyway !
if you are going to spend 700 to put in a FD then get teh LSD at teh same time to save moeny

to compare i only spent 350 to put in FD + clutch, not sure why u are charged 2x mroe

ATSEK4
08-12-2004, 10:55 PM
if you are going to spend 700 to put in a FD then get teh LSD at teh same time to save moeny

to compare i only spent 350 to put in FD + clutch, not sure why u are charged 2x mroe

people are ripe off here in brisbane.. i am going to do it in HOnda.

what FD did you put in? how did you feel? what car are you driving ? thx !