PDA

View Full Version : [cl9 euro] wat coolant to use?

biee2
05-01-2010, 10:05 AM
okay i am running low on coolant and i need to refil it.....heading to honda soon to buy some stuff so was wandering if i can get the coolant from another place or is it best to use honda coolant? i have use the search but nothing came up on coolant......

TimsGE8
05-01-2010, 10:17 AM
You should use Prixmax RCP concentrate mixed at 5% volume with distilled water, or if you are in a cold climate use Prixmax MEG95 antifreeze concentrate mixed at 50% with distilled water. you can buy these from Coventry's or Motor Traders, or just call them up and they'll help you out.

i used Prixmax RCP in my R33 for 5 years, no problems, not 1 leak ever.
i now use Prixmax RCP in my GE8, my wifes Patriot, and my CBR125R all from brand new, and not a leak or any problems and it is 40+ alot in the summer in perth

felixd
05-01-2010, 10:27 AM
try Nulon ready to use from supercheap auto does the job :) value for money aswell

aaronng
05-01-2010, 10:32 AM
If you only need to top up, then buy the same coolant as what you currently have. If you are on the original factory coolant and it is blue in colour, then you need Honda Type II coolant. Just buy a 1L bottle as you don't need much to top up.

The other 2 suggestions above will involve you draining out all the existing coolant in the system, which is a waste of time and money for a 3 year old car as the coolant is still fine.

TimsGE8
05-01-2010, 10:34 AM
what ever you choose have a look at the list of approvals by the OEMs on the packaging. None have the same factory support as Prixmax coolants.
they last 5 years or 500 000km! your hoses and water pump will wear out way before then!

biee2
05-01-2010, 10:40 AM
thank heaps for the replies guys :)
gonna head out to go get some now, changing oil, oil filter, manual tramission fluid and hrmmm top up coolant...think thats my schedule for today :p

felixd
05-01-2010, 10:55 AM
guud job ! ! ! !

tony1234
05-01-2010, 04:29 PM
thank heaps for the replies guys :)
gonna head out to go get some now, changing oil, oil filter, manual tramission fluid and hrmmm top up coolant...think thats my schedule for today :p
Stick with OEM oil filter,coolant and MTF.As for engine oil get a full synthetic 5W-30,5W-40 or 0W-40 your car will love you for it!

biee2
05-01-2010, 08:49 PM
Stick with OEM oil filter,coolant and MTF.As for engine oil get a full synthetic 5W-30,5W-40 or 0W-40 your car will love you for it!

yeah...i use all oem products exept the engine oil....that i used motul 5w-40. took it for a test drive b4 and she's running smooth ass. took me YONKKKSSS to get the manual transmission filler nut to come up...dam thing mad me grazz my tricep aswell :(

felixd
06-01-2010, 09:52 AM
yeah...i use all oem products exept the engine oil....that i used motul 5w-40. took it for a test drive b4 and she's running smooth ass. took me YONKKKSSS to get the manual transmission filler nut to come up...dam thing mad me grazz my tricep aswell :(

spray sum wd40 shoud do the job :)

aaronng
06-01-2010, 10:37 AM
The assembly workers at Honda Japan must have strong arms. I had trouble removing my oil filter as well. Couldn't do it with a generic oil filter tool and had to get the honda tool + ratchet + strength.

aaronng
06-01-2010, 10:38 AM
spray sum wd40 shoud do the job :)

Nah, the bolt has a crush washer on it and the threads are already soaked in MTF which is essentially an oil. They just overtightened it from the factory. :thumbdwn:

biee2
06-01-2010, 01:18 PM
Nah, the bolt has a crush washer on it and the threads are already soaked in MTF which is essentially an oil. They just overtightened it from the factory. :thumbdwn:

every thing had been completed...just needed to remove the filler nut to refill with mtf and omg...was thinking to myself...what happens if i cant get it open..lmao becuz there wasnt much room i had to use an extension on the rachet and was scared i would round the bolt. in the end removed my battery and my oem intake, already knew i would hurt myself but it was either that or never get the thing opened...:p

aaronng
06-01-2010, 01:37 PM
My first time, I put on the 3/8" ratchet and then used a rubber mallet and bashed the hell out of it. LOL

BTW, for everything in life, always open the filler bolt first before opening the drain bolt (basically make sure it everything is ok before you do the deed)

i.e. check that your turkey can fit in the oven before thawing and preparing it.
i.e. check that your condoms are not expired before "putting it in"
i.e. check that you have wine glasses ready before opening that $700 bottle of Grange
i.e. check that you have adequate finances before having a kid.
~and so on...~