PDA

View Full Version : Type R external mirrors- false impression distances

bluesboy
05-01-2010, 09:35 PM
I have owned an 09 civic type R for over 2 months now and altho generally very happy i find one aspect of the car very annoying and bloody dangerous. This is related to the fact that the size of the images in the ext mirrors of cars behind u gives a VERY false picture of just how far back they are. If u check in the rear view mirror u will find the actual distances are 3-4 times closer thus rendering the external mirrors of limited use. Have others found this problem as i consider just plain crazy to set mirrors up like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ktld
06-01-2010, 01:21 AM
hmmm Don't have any problems with the mirrors.

curtis265
07-01-2010, 01:26 PM
You don't use mirrors for distance, end of story.

Mirrors are convex so that you get a wider field of view. If they were perfectly flat you'd see jack-all.

VT3C
07-01-2010, 02:13 PM
seriously if you're having trouble with this you should go hand in your driver's license !!

mind you, when I was working for Honda, probably 1 in 5 customers (normally elderly women LOL) would complain soon after delivery that the mirrors are misleading - one lady came in almost in tears cause she almost had an accident when changing lanes.. She actually had a glazier cut a piece of FLAT mirror to the shape of the honda mirror and had it attached instead of the convex mirror - hopwever THAT technically makes the car illegal.

I think it even says ON the mirror that 'OBJECTS MAY BE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR'..

The safe way I was taught to judge the distance is when the vehicle appears in your (windscreen mounted) rear view mirror then you have gone past it enough to change lanes safely with enough clearance of the other car. Unfortunately, in the FD2, you're relying on your mirrors a lot more as the blind spots and rear vision is terrible in the Type R..

ALL new cars have these mirrors - am pretty sure it';s a new ADR requirement... and yes this is different to old fashioned 80's and 90's cars etc. but it is actually SAFER as the convex mirrors pick up a wider field of vision/reflection allowing you to see the car in your blindspot easier.. but judging distance is not relevant to the function of the wing mirrors.

dvsx
07-01-2010, 02:43 PM
head check?

aaronng
07-01-2010, 03:33 PM
If you don't do a head check, you fail your driver's license test.....

e240
07-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Turn yr bloody head around for sure!!!

curtis265
07-01-2010, 06:07 PM
get a 'objects in mirror are losing' sticker.

bluesboy
07-01-2010, 11:37 PM
"Unfortunately, in the FD2, you're relying on your mirrors a lot more as the blind spots and rear vision is terrible in the Type R.."

U aint f---ing kidding buddy. What the hell is the use of these modern mirrors giving u "a wider field of vision" if u then have to look in the rear view mirror to double check.Pardon my baby boomer ignorance but i thought external mirrors were there to pick up cars out of the field of vision of the rear view mirror and act as a total extension to it. I am obviously talking to gen y and z so just forget it guys.

xntrik
07-01-2010, 11:52 PM
lolwut
i dont even use sidemirrors.

FDBenni
08-01-2010, 12:01 AM
Well if you've ever had driving lessons then 1 important thing to do when changing lanes is to check the rear view mirror. All modern cars have the convex mirrors for a wider range of vision, just do a headcheck it's not that hard and then after a while you'll get used to the distances.

curtis265
08-01-2010, 12:20 AM
"Unfortunately, in the FD2, you're relying on your mirrors a lot more as the blind spots and rear vision is terrible in the Type R.."

U aint f---ing kidding buddy. What the hell is the use of these modern mirrors giving u "a wider field of vision" if u then have to look in the rear view mirror to double check.Pardon my baby boomer ignorance but i thought external mirrors were there to pick up cars out of the field of vision of the rear view mirror and act as a total extension to it. I am obviously talking to gen y and z so just forget it guys.

Makes no sense what you're saying. You're supposed to be doing a headcheck anyway. You're taught never to trust distance you see from any mirror or screen.

aaronng
08-01-2010, 07:11 AM

Mirrors are just for initial checking if it is clear to lane change. Then you do a headcheck to confirm that before changing lanes because the mirrors themselves have a blindspot from your rear quarter panel to the front quarter panel. A lot of people forget this and you end up with some people changing into your lane and bashing your car.

JaCe
08-01-2010, 11:14 AM
Beats me how people can't figure this one out.

Ninjadust77
16-01-2010, 12:12 PM
the mirrors are only just a guide... u should still be looking over ur shoulder anyways...
drive properly and dont be lazy

Nickykeeng
16-01-2010, 12:30 PM
mirrors are to check if there's any cars around not to guage how far they are from you. If they're too close to the point that its not "clear to go" then you should wait and not blame the mirrors

Stig
16-01-2010, 11:29 PM
one of the features i love about the new civic besides from the cool windscreen wiper is the side mirrors, they offer a wider range of view compared to other side mirrors so you know what is around you

sitta
18-01-2010, 10:11 AM
i find it the other way around.. objects in the mirror are closer than they actually are...

paulh
24-02-2010, 09:30 PM
I don't like the convex mirrors either. I've had them on my new Honda for ~9 months, and had a few near misses in similar circumstances. Someone in front brakes heavily, I quickly look in R rear view mirror, lane has a car but it looks like space to enter lane, but really there isn't as much as it appears as the car in that lane is alot closer than it looks.
So what I should do is just brake heavily and hope I don't go up the bum of the car infront because I don't have time to first check the interior mirror, then external mirror, then turn my head around, or even just turn my head around which takes longer than a quick glance into a flat mirror.
I've had flat mirrors for 30 years of driving and never had an accident with them, so I personally think if you're an experience driver and know how to set up the flat mirrors correctly you'll not have any blind spots.
In my opinion, flat mirrors should be an option, atleast on the drivers side.
Does anyone know when regulations changed, as ADR 14/01, 2006, states right side exterior mirror should be flat...that was only 4 yrs ago, so I'm assuming it changed after then?

Vestri
24-02-2010, 10:23 PM

Id like to point out Im not Y or Z, and your assumption and obvious discrimination of the youth is disturbing and ignorant... That shows an obvious ego about your belief that the youth are always wrong if they dont agree with baby boomers.

Driver safety INCLUDES looking over your shoulder. Dont blame mirrors for your own inability to drive safely.

What shocks me more is that people STILL think that in todays modern hi-tech world, that cars no longer have blind spots. They still do, no matter how well the car is designed. Unless you want Windows/glass for rear and B pillars.

If they still teach the youth about blindspots, dont trust mirrors for distance, and also HEAD CHECKS, the elderly dont have an exception. Being born a baby boomer doesnt mean you can jsut dismiss X and Y just because you think they are wipper snappers. My kids know more than me about driving, even though I have been driving longer than them, and Im more than happy to take my car to the track, use my kid's forum username to read this forum, and Im also more than happy to send them to free driver safety courses where they learn about dangerous driving... something us old blokes never got and have to pay to get nowadays. But the youth, to get cheaper insurance, can take a free course on how hard they can push a car.

So if you are blaming the mirrors for your own inability, then X and Y have every right to tell you, that you need a driving lesson.

Vestri
24-02-2010, 10:28 PM
In my opinion, flat mirrors should be an option, atleast on the drivers side. Does anyone know when regulations changed, as ADR 14/01, 2006, states right side exterior mirror should be flat...that was only 4 yrs ago, so I'm assuming it changed after then?

They are not a legal option based on the design on of a car. if they are flat, then the car's design legally allows for it. If its convex, then there is a legal, and also a safety reason to have them.

If you cant do a 1,2,3:
1) check rear
2) check the side you are doing to merge into
3) Head check

Then get a drivers lesson. A simple 1,2,3 should only take 1 - 2 seconds. Thats more than enough at any speed, if youa re cutting it close, you are either too fast, or driving too close... Its your own responsibility to leave enough space between you and the car in front. Its also another driving safety skill eveyone is taught.

paulh
26-02-2010, 12:45 PM
They are not a legal option based on the design on of a car. if they are flat, then the car's design legally allows for it. If its convex, then there is a legal, and also a safety reason to have them.

If you cant do a 1,2,3:
1) check rear
2) check the side you are doing to merge into
3) Head check

Then get a drivers lesson. A simple 1,2,3 should only take 1 - 2 seconds. Thats more than enough at any speed, if youa re cutting it close, you are either too fast, or driving too close... Its your own responsibility to leave enough space between you and the car in front. Its also another driving safety skill eveyone is taught.
A head turn to the RIGHT accomplishes very little in my car, and it is the right mirror I'm talking about. The pillar is in the way. I suppose I could wind down the window, stick my head out for a proper look, but that'd take longer again.
The head turn is more relevant to checking the left side of the car, and I don't have a problem with the left side convex mirror.
As far as travelling too close, it's generally other people who tailgate me who are likely to cause the accident if I don't change lanes and brake hard, in the context of the situation I found myself in. Staying in the same lane would have been the only alternative if the right hand lane was not free in any case.
You can preach all you want about convex being safer, but in some instances, it's not always the case.

aero
26-02-2010, 05:10 PM
^

during my driving lessons way back, i was told that head checks are much more relevant to the driver's side, than the passenger's side.. even tho u should always check either depending on which lane u are moving into.

are u a big or tall bloke, paulh? if not, it could help if u move ur seat forward a bit. it may allow u to see what is beside u, rather than be obstructed by the pillar. or u could get some spot mirrors. if u cant move ur seat forward or cannot afford to wind the window down, and check ur blind spot. it doesnt beat actually turning ur head to look.. but when u have no other choice...:confused: