PDA

View Full Version : Apexi VAFC 2 and ECU, can I get both mods?

DC2-PWR
06-01-2010, 02:20 AM
I'm having trouble finding threads on this matter. My brother has given me a Apexi VAFC 2 for free, I'm getting it wired next week. But when I read most threads they say "don't buy it, get a ECU instead."

I'm wondering that if I get this Apexi computer fitted, can I buy a ECU in future? Or can I only do one modification to the chip? I would love to have an ECU aswell with the Apexi VAFC 2.

Sorry for the Nooby question but I'm really curious and I don't know anyone that knows the answer for this matter nor my bro.

Cheers

DLO01
06-01-2010, 02:30 AM
Yes, you can have both.

DC2-PWR
06-01-2010, 02:32 AM
Yes, you can have both.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh your a life saver,

Thanks.

tOniies
06-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Why would you use the VAFC anyway. I got my one in my car, and i want to yank that shit out. People have been telling me its nothing but trouble in your car.

VT3C
06-01-2010, 03:01 PM
VAFC's are good and Bad.. depends what you want from them etc. APPARENTLY some OBD2 cars can re-learn around the VAFC's tuning parameters to essentially make it useless. I am not 100% sure of this I suspect it's an internet rumour LOL.

VAFC is limited as to what it can do compared witha proper stand-alone tunable ECU. it can only adjust the Air/Fuel Ratios and VTEC points (i dont think it can do ignition ?) and cannot alter your rev-cut etc.

there are cases where a VAFC is used in combo with an ECU but normally only for chipped ECU's (Spoon/Mugen/Hondata* etc) where some small changed to AFR and VTEC points are needed to allow for varying conditions or engine modifications etc.

I am considering a VAFC to ride piggy-back on my SPOON ECU as the Spoon ECU has the 180km speed limit removed, and a 9,000RPM rev cut - however I need some AFR tuning and want to RAISE the VTEC point - Spoon VTEC controller only allows you to LOWER the VTEC point.

*Hondata is just a chipped OEM ECU with the ability to have the chip re-flashed (and data logging ability).. but if you dont have all the hardware and software it's only as good as a chipped ECU as you cant alter the program set by your 'tuner'.

All the HARDCORE people will tell you that a VAFC is crap.. but for I/H/E modifications (or even a stock motor) with a competant tuner you can get some great results - i've seen 10-15 HP gain on an EK4 that completely changed the way the engine behaved (for the better!!).