PDA

View Full Version : another noob question..lol

Trice
07-01-2010, 04:36 PM
After buying a car with roadie provided, if i do a check up on it, and just say the gearbox or brakes are abt to break but it hasnt yet, do i have to fix it or do they?

cheers

V73C
07-01-2010, 04:58 PM
So what your trying to say is that you bought a car and it came with a road worthy, but after driving it for a lil while the brakes and gearbox is ****ed yeah ?

Trice
07-01-2010, 05:07 PM
well i havent bought the car but it seems a bit sus thats its so cheap, but after inspection of the car and test driving it seems fine, i just wanted to know abt how the roadie works.

Giraffe
07-01-2010, 05:11 PM
road worthy is when they check for parts, exterior. that needs fixing to match driving standards.

they give you a certificate and you produce it the the road authorities.

if they say something is wrong they expect you to fix it or they will fix it for you, within a certain week. so they can give you the road worthy certificate.

Trice
07-01-2010, 05:36 PM
well since they provide me with a rwc, i give it to vicroads, but later on in the week there is a problem..who fixes it?

kcokla
07-01-2010, 05:44 PM
you do, its your car then!

V73C
07-01-2010, 06:33 PM
If it states that he'll provide a road worthy, means he'll fix what ever is wrong on it so it passes road worthy to rego it, plus to sell to you. But if it breaks a week later then you're on your own

dougie_504
07-01-2010, 07:13 PM
Brakes will be covered in RWC but GBox probably won't

Trice
07-01-2010, 08:05 PM
is it actually possible for a dodgy roadworthy?

just asking lol.

tsg88
07-01-2010, 08:11 PM
It is possible for dodgy roadworthy, if its a mate of a mate that's a mechanic. But its a risk they take... I am not sure but if it has changed hands, pretty sure they aren't liable for a brake failure or worn pads etc.

Most cases would be that if its passed roadworthy, it is. I am always cautious when a buyer says, 'roadworthy on deposit', screw that! If its gonna cost them money to make it roadworthy then thats only going to add to their asking price! And guess who they are gonna pass the cost onto. Even if they had to spend money to make it roadworthy, it should be included in the sale of the vehicle. I want proof of roadworthy before I go to test drive it.

dougie_504
08-01-2010, 02:16 AM
It is possible for dodgy roadworthy, if its a mate of a mate that's a mechanic. But its a risk they take... I am not sure but if it has changed hands, pretty sure they aren't liable for a brake failure or worn pads etc.

Most cases would be that if its passed roadworthy, it is. I am always cautious when a buyer says, 'roadworthy on deposit', screw that! If its gonna cost them money to make it roadworthy then thats only going to add to their asking price! And guess who they are gonna pass the cost onto. Even if they had to spend money to make it roadworthy, it should be included in the sale of the vehicle. I want proof of roadworthy before I go to test drive it.

They only say that because it costs about $100 to get the RWC checkup - and it won't pass unless it's alright, but otherwise if it's fine you'll get the RWC immediately.

However the RWC is only valid for 30 days, during which you need to have the registration of the car changed into your name with the valid RWC.

So if you were selling a car would you pay $100 to get the RWC, regardless of whether or not it needs work to be made road worthy, knowing that the car might not be sold within 30 days - thus meaning you just need to go and spend another $100 to get a new/valid RWC?

The only reason people get a deposit before RWC is because it means that somebody will most likely buy the car once you have a RWC. Then you need to pay to get it road worthy, and that expense isn't the responsibility of the buyer.
This should be discussed before you put down your non-refundable deposit and you should ask for a written/signed receipt from the seller to declare that you have paid the non-refundable deposit with an outstanding sum of money to be paid once the RWC has been accquired.

Troy
08-01-2010, 03:09 PM
I also suggest you get the car mechanically inspected yourself by a third-party mechanic. A RWC really doesn't mean squat, just that the indicators work and stuff like that. Every time I've had a RWC done here in Queensland I've used different mechanics, and each of them have checked different things and then gone and ticked the lot on the form.

Getting a third-party check from someone like RACV (if you're in Vic) would cost a bit extra, but give you peace of mind that they've given it a comprehensive check over and written report to you on the cars condition. I personally don't do it because my dad used to be a mechanic so he's pretty good at fixing everything, but for someone who is just downright worried (as you sound) it would be a great idea.

WATAJK
08-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Your best case mate, get your trusted local mechanic and get the car check or pay RACV $200 or whatever the hell it is and they will check the entire car over for you and could save you buying a disaster of a car.
Had my DC5R checked before i bought it, touch wood no problems 7 months on