PDA

View Full Version : Honda CRV 2007-2009 DVD/CD/GPS/Bluetooth Etc

StylusPilot
07-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Hi Guys,

Just bought my first second hand Honda, and I'm loving it. (2007 Honda CRV Luxury)

What I would like to know is, I have been looking around at all in one Navigation Head Units and wanted to know if anyone has used anything like this before.

The only ones I can find custom fit for a Honda CRV are at this website http://www.autodvdgps.com/ however I am not sure how reliable/dodgy thse are.

Anyone got experience with gear like this?

In my previous car (shitbox Hyundai Excel lol) I had installed a Laptop and ran linux with some carputer software on there, however this time I would like something a little more streamlined integrated into the dash.

Any opinions of what to do/get?

Atjo
08-01-2010, 09:58 AM
You can use Kenwood GPS system, it's a 7" screen connected to a processor box. My friend installed this on his Land Rover Discovery for about $3500 with reverse camera. But i don't like the display of the GPS. Or you can use a double din head unit with GPS capabilities like Pioneer, Alpine, JVC, etc.

halihuya
08-01-2010, 10:55 AM
Why did you buy a second hand since the new one is so cheap?
I got a list of Honda CRV 2007 in dash car GPS
http://www.chinacargps.com/honda-gps-navigation-c-100.html
I have bought the second one of this list. The latest version of firmware.
Very amazing!
But to be honest, i like the 7th, it's very expensive, even they gave me a coupon of 20USD. It's till 860USD!

Atjo
08-01-2010, 11:46 AM
I think what he meant second hand is the car not the GPS.

halihuya
08-01-2010, 11:50 AM
lol
Look as if i have problem understanding English...

purehate1978
11-01-2010, 03:21 AM
Why did you buy a second hand since the new one is so cheap?
I got a list of Honda CRV 2007 in dash car GPS
http://www.chinacargps.com/honda-gps-navigation-c-100.html
I have bought the second one of this list. The latest version of firmware.
Very amazing!
But to be honest, i like the 7th, it's very expensive, even they gave me a coupon of 20USD. It's till 860USD!

I prefer to order for autodvdgps.com. I checked both site, though there is price difference, personally I think Qualir is more reliable.
I like to share my opinions as follows:
1. I looked through 2 sites, and found that autodvdgps.com has long history, and they are confident to show their company' sign with its name. It seems chinacargps.com copied qualir's sites and made a little change. Of course I like lower price, but I care more about the company strength especially when they are not local brands.
I emailed chinacargps.com for more real pictures taken from product model "FA-HONDACRV78", but they said they did not have currently....
2. Qualir has more products available, and description is more accurate. Chinacargps.com says the unit is 800*480,but in the specification, it is 1440*234...
These are just my opinions, just for your guys reference, :D

yerfdog
15-04-2010, 01:58 PM
There are plenty of them on ebay with great price.

sa24oz
27-04-2010, 07:42 PM
Interesting discussion. :D

spacekey
04-06-2010, 02:00 PM
GPS is not high price any more!

Son Gokou
24-06-2010, 10:24 PM
If i buy a unit from http://www.autodvdgps.com/, does the radio and GPS work in Australia?

mark1974
04-07-2010, 04:28 PM
Afternoon All,
I too am looking at the idea of an aftermarket GPS in dash unit for my 2007 CRV,
I do have a few questions some have been answered that I hope some one on here can answer from their experience.
any photos of your install too would be helpful.

1- What model or at least a link to the model that you bought.
2- Did the unit come with all Australian maps loaded ?
3- Duty or customs issues ?
4- Installation issues , was the steering controls retained, and the back lighting is still blue like factory?
5- I have read on all of these units that they do not charge the iphone/ipod.? is this true?
6- Boot up time are they relatively quick?

i was going to get a quote from Honda but I would imagine that they are quite pricey.

Thanks in advance,

Mark.

sunnyl
13-07-2010, 04:46 PM
I just got one of these head units installed in my 09 CRV about a week ago now.

1) http://cgi.ebay.com.au/7-HD-DVD-DVB-T-TV-GPS-Honda-CR-V-2007-2010-/260629708204
I specifically picked this model because it has a 533MHz processor and 128MB RAM. Most units on the market are 400MHz and 64MB RAM, which apparently struggles with TTS.

2) Yes, NZ as well. Not hard to find more maps if you want to. It comes with iGo8 on the SD card. The unit runs Win CE 5, so you should be able to run any other compatible navigation software you want.

3) No, the seller is in Queensland

4) From my couple of weeks of researching, that depends on the unit. The one I got does have steering controls. Its configurable in software, so basically you tell the software you're about to press a button, then press it, and it'll tie that button press with that particular function in the future. It looked like each button had a difference resistance on it and the unit just detects that. My unit is mostly white light, which pretty much the same as the backlight you get on the original buttons.

5) My unit charges and plays my iPhone/iPod fine (3GS and 5th gen Nano). The iPhone gives me a warning saying that the accessory may cause interference and asks whether I want to go into airplane mode. I never do and haven't had a problem.

6) Pretty quick. About <10 seconds for the shell software to show up, and maybe another 5 seconds to start iGo. But its not like your regular GPS units that sleep when you hit the power button (so they come back straight into navigating when you turn it back on). The unit completely powers down when you turn your car off so you have to wait for it to boot each time.

I was under the impression Honda doesn't have any GPS head units?

Other thoughts of mine:

1) Its not a 100% flush fit, but close enough

2) Its pretty much a drop in replacement. You unplug the original harness from the original head unit. The new unit has its own harness that plugs into the back on one then, and into the original harness on the other end.

3) This unit does NOT wire in the original AUX input (the 3.5mm jack in the centre console), so now its just disconnected. The new unit has its own AUX A/V in (for a reverse camera), but those are RCA inputs. I'd have to wire the original harness to the new unit's RCA plugs to get the 3.5mm jack working again. Not majorly bothered by it, seeing it has the iPhone/iPod line, which is what I used the 3.5mm jack for anyway.

4) I have the genuine Honda bluetooth module. I installed this myself and wanted to keep using it. The BT unit piggybacked onto the original harness - my guess was it redirected the speakers between the head unit and itself when a call came through since it automatically muted the head unit. But this is not the case with the new head unit. Either a) the new head unit doesn't understand a mute signal come from the BT unit, or b) theres some physical wiring missing that makes this happen. I haven't had time to look in the service manual to find out either. But not another major issue: the new unit has a mute button, which is something the original lacked.

5) You can have the GPS voice guidance on at the same time (it plays through the front two speakers) as the radio/iPod/TV, but it automatically turns down the volume of the background temporarily while the voice guidance plays, which I don't like. And theres no way to turn this off.

6) Leading from the above, the shell software isn't very configurable or professional looking.

Its not perfect, but overall I'm pretty happy with it.

traumatized
14-07-2010, 11:06 AM
^ did you do the installation yourself?

If so..
- how hard was it to take out the original head unit?
- was there a GPS antenna and where did you install that?
- how good is the picture when watching tv? where did you mount the antenna?
- any other cables or antenna's you need to mount on your dash or else where?

Thanks.

sunnyl
14-07-2010, 11:52 AM
did you do the installation yourself? how hard was it to take out the original head unit?
Yes I did. Its not that difficult to take out the original head unit, but I think like most modern cars now things are held together with plastic clips which might make things hard to take apart. The unit doesn't come with instructions - you need to know how to do it yourself (you can source out service manuals on some CRV forums). It basically involves:
1) Take out the HVAC controls (the fan/AC controls)
2) Take out the small panel behind the vents that is above the head unit
3) Remove the vents
4) 4 screws and a couple of clips and the head unit is out
Its easy on paper, but like I said its mostly held in with plastic clips so it can take some forcing to get out. I needed to get the original head unit out to install the Honda bluetooth unit once before, so I already knew what I was doing (<10 mins to get it out)

was there a GPS antenna and where did you install that?
Yes there was. Its one of those generic GPS antennas with a MMCX connector. I placed it under the panel above the vents. I just cable tied it to the plastic mounting that was under the panel. No reception problems whatsoever. The first GPS fix took a while, but after that its been perfect.

how good is the picture when watching tv? where did you mount the antenna?
Its pretty good, but I can only receive SBS where I am (metro Sydney). I suspect its the antenna because its absolutely tiny, but the reception is good when it has any. At least I could watch the world cup in my car though :) I put the antenna in the same place as the GPS antenna. I wasn't particularly fussed about the TV - I just got it because I could. Also, it doesn't do HD channels either (not suprisingly)

any other cables or antenna's you need to mount on your dash or else where?
No, I deliberately mounted the GPS and TV antenna out of sight underneath that panel - I didn't want anything mounted on the dash or the body. If you're confused about which panel, imagine looking at your head unit, above the head unit are the two air vents and the hazard lights switch, keep going up along the plastic and theres a small panel before you reach the windscreen. Underneath that panel its hollow. The US version of the CRV which has factory sat nav mounts the GPS antenna in there as well.

It does have a second harness which gives out RCA outputs for the speakers and AV in for the reverse camera, which I haven't done yet. The camera that comes with it is a cylindrical one thats probably supposed to sit in a hole in your bumper, and seeing I just installed the front/rear lower trims I'd rather not drill a hole in two bumpers!! I'm going to look for a different kind of camera that I can mount above the license plate before I do the wiring for that (and probably wire up the 3.5mm jack at the same time)

Sorry I don't have pics with me atm! Hope that helps!

traumatized
14-07-2010, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the quick response, much appriecated. My parents just got a 2010 Sport and I wanted to get this unit for them as a gift so I want it to be decent enough to be a gift and not be dodgy.

So anymore information you can give me would be great. Also when you stated it does not sit flash how far form flash is it?

sunnyl
14-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Also when you stated it does not sit flash how far form flash is it?
I'll get some photos up tonight.

traumatized
14-07-2010, 01:18 PM
that would be great. thanks in advance.

oh you mentioned it does not do HD, however in the pictures on ebay it shows HD channels. or did you mean it doesn't display in HD?

sunnyl
14-07-2010, 02:11 PM
that would be great. thanks in advance.

oh you mentioned it does not do HD, however in the pictures on ebay it shows HD channels. or did you mean it doesn't display in HD?

The channels are listed, but when you try and view that channel is says the signal is bad or encrypted (or something like that).

traumatized
14-07-2010, 02:40 PM
fair enough. please do take pictures if you can for me tonight.

cheers

mark1974
14-07-2010, 07:45 PM
Thanks Sunny, this info is quite helpful ,
Was a coincidence i was looking at the same ebay listing also,
and did note the 128mb of ram on this unit which i imagine speeds things
up quite a bit also.
You mentioned that the software isn't very configurable ? in what way?
And the fact that its not very professional looking ?
I was going to ask you if this unit has the facility for caller ID on the head unit ? but you have the factory BT installed so
that answered that question :)

im looking forward to some pics of it too when you get a chance ,this will probably answer alot of questions.

Cheers ,

Mark.

sunnyl
15-07-2010, 01:01 AM
Mark, its just the software itself, eg, you can't change the colour scheme or skin of the software. Maybe I'm just being a bit critical of it (I'm a software developer by day). For example, in the top right of the screen, it scrolls between showing you the time, day of the week, and date. Whats the point of having the day of the week and date when you're driving?? Theres no way to change this to show just the time.

Other quirks:
1) When you have your driving lights on, your instruments light up as well, and everything lights up according to the brightness set on the instrument panel. The head unit doesn't obey that setting. Its just constantly at one brightness.
2) Although you can adjust the brightness of the screen in software, the shell software doesn't automatically adjust for ambient lighting or time of the day. iGo automatically changes to a "night" colour scheme past a certain time
3) You can turn off the LCD with the button on the top right, however, using the steering controls (like turning the volume up/down) turns the screen back on.

I may sound a bit critical of this unit, but I'm just pointing out all the little imperfections - its still a great device - I'm nit picking here!

I've uploaded the photos to: http://www.sunny.id.au/crv/gps/

I've tested the BT, and yep it shows the incoming number of the screen (after a couple of rings though, see pic). In one of the photos I've adjusted the brightness to show the HVAC controls, there you can see the contours don't match up exactly anymore because of the head unit. Theres also some gaps where lighting from the unit shows through.

traumatized
15-07-2010, 08:10 AM
thanks for the pictures sunny, thanks for also taking the time to be detailed also.

how are the gps maps? and spoken directions? is the interface any to use? (parents and technology dont get along really)

sunnyl
15-07-2010, 08:50 AM
The maps are great. The seller sends iGo 8.3.4 and Sensis R17 maps (Feb 2010), which you can always update yourself - I've already updated to a newer version of iGo. The maps are the newest available.

He also includes the gurjon skin (http://www.gurjon.com/gj_scr/), which I found a little overwhelming to use and had some errors. I'm using the dimka skin (http://www.igo8mods.com/dimka.htm) instead. If they don't get well with technology then maybe using iGO without any skins would be better as its much more straight forward to use without any skins. Having those skins makes things more accessible, but makes the interface way way more complicated.

The voices are fine too. For TTS iGo only has UK and US voices, which I'm not particularly fond of. I don't think any AU TTS voices exist yet for iGo. I'm just using the regular directions which sound really good, or I mute the GPS because it messes with the music thats playing.

traumatized
15-07-2010, 09:31 AM
thanks again, seems like a decent enough unit from what you have described. now just gotta bid for one and hope to get one for a good price. if I have anymore questions i'll let you know :)

Shermanator
18-10-2010, 08:52 PM
I ended up winning the same unit as sunnyl. Sunnyl I would love to know how everything is going with your deck. I have done a few modifications to my CRV and this being the second to to last modification I am doing.

sunnyl
19-10-2010, 12:43 AM
Its still going strong - nothing new other than the things I've already pointed out. Still haven't gotten around to doing the reverse camera and aux line though. I also have a set of auto fold+heated mirrors to wire up!

Shermanator
19-10-2010, 06:36 AM
Sunnly is the sound reproduction better that the stock sound unit? My CRV is the Luxury version and to be honest its pretty decent. Just wondering if its better sound than the stocky.

sunnyl
19-10-2010, 10:59 AM
No noticeable difference really, but I'm not audiophile. Though when the iphone/pod is turned up I do get a bit of noise coming out of the speakers - but that could be the ipod itself or the iphone cable being not shielded.

Shermanator
25-10-2010, 09:18 AM
Sunnyl,
I received my head unit today. Just wondering was your box a generic looking box with no pictures as such thats just says "multi car navigation systems coal"?? I had a brief look at the instructions and I got to tell you the english is pretty lame arse. I guess thats what you have to expect from chinese manufacturers. Now I have booked my CRV on thursday to go to the Auto Electricians to install everything. However one thing concerns me. The Reverse Camera- Just wondering where are you thinking of installing your camera?? I had a brief look at the camera instructions and it says to put it in the keyhole.
Err Our cars don't have a keyhole as such in the rear boot lid. Due to the cylindrical nature of the camera I was thinking of putting it in between the Honda Symbol plastic facia (drilling a hole in the centre?). Their is no bracket as such that comes with it to mount anywhere else. What are your thoughts on this???
Secondly the auxiliary input in the CRV's middle console- Just wondering if you are sure you can wire up the auxiliary console input to work with the unit? If so how do you intend on doing this- just so I could ask the auto sparky to look at doing it.

sunnyl
25-10-2010, 10:41 AM
Yep it was just a generic box. Its not exactly a consumer item so I wasn't expecting any fancy packaging. Is your camera barrel shaped with screw threads on the end? I plan to put it into the centre of the rear bumper - I've seen two other CRVs that have the camera installed in the same place (almost directly underneath the trunk lid button). I think thats a good spot for it if the camera has a wide angle. The rear bumper comes off pretty easily and is hollow underneath so theres space for work and wiring. Putting the camera where the H is won't let you see the furthest part of the car (the bumper) unless you point the camera downwards.

cheers,
Sunny

Shermanator
25-10-2010, 10:45 AM
Yeah mines a barrel shape with thread on the end. I think your right. I will also put it in the bumper.

Shermanator
27-10-2010, 02:50 PM
Sunnyl- Just want to know if you have tried driving around with the TV operational? Would like to know if it still works whilst moving. I know you said you can only see SBS. Just want to know if it has the same limitations as playing a DVD and driving.- Although illegal, have you tried playing back a DVD whilst moving? or is yours wired up so that its non functional on the move?. In the manual I have read that it supposedly comes up with a warning if you haven't connected it up properly. For others info - I have no intention of doing anything illegal, but wouldn't mind knowing if it is possible.

Also another thing the unit comes with a dedicated ipod input at the rear. Where exactly do you have the wire coming out from??- In other words where is the connection located for you to connect up the ipod??

Shermanator
03-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Ok I thought I would update this. Everything was working great until I put in a brand new Cd. The Cd will no longer eject the disc and remains stuck inside. Every time I press the eject button it will try to eject but go back into resume and play the cd. I have contacted the seller who I am now in a dispute with. As he is not willing to send out a replacement unit until he receives the faulty unit. My argument is that I will need to pay for uninstallation as well as installing it twice over. This has been an extra costly exercise all over this cheap chinese system. When it was working it was great- but unfortunately has costed an arm and a leg. I will not recommend him nor this unit although everything seems fine with sunnyl's unit. Its just to much of a risk to gamble with.

It has come to my attention that out of all these Chinese head-Units- the best one to buy is the Caska unit. It is distributed here in Australia through Polarisgps.com. It is an expensive proposition with the unit selling at $1200.00 plus $295.00 for the Tyre Pressure Monitoring System. Give or take 3 hrs for installation and we are looking just below 2 grand. Having bought the ebay unit- I should have known it was too good to be true. Anyway having said that it looks like it maybe time to bare my losses.

Shermanator
05-11-2010, 08:33 AM
Today I am having the Polaris - Caska unit installed today. As soon as I have the faulty head unit I bought from ebay out, its going back for a refund. The seller has been extremely unreasonable and I just now want to have a refund. For that matter I will then have full 12 months warranty from Polaris, a reputable Australian Company who have tried and tested all these Chinese units and decided that the Caska headunit is the best for the Australian market. Apparently the Caska unit is the OEM supplier for Honda's overseas market. Our CRV's especially the Luxury model (Honda Australia), have been dumbed idown to exclude key features that would have been included in overseas CRV's. Example is rain sensing window wipers, speed activator door locks, Auto headlight washers etc etc. I will update this thread and give you all a comparison over the faulty unit. Wish me luck !!

Below - I believe this to be the Caska head unit.

http://www.chinacargps.com/honda-crv-gps-navigationdigital-hd-touchscreebuiltin-bluetoothradioipod-controldual-zonehigh-quality-p-637.html

JudyKayTee
09-12-2010, 07:17 PM
Honda has released a special DVD player for new Excelle, which would be quite exciting information for car lovers as well as the car market. Honda DVD (http://www.espow.com/wholesale-car-electronics-car-dvd-special-car-dvd.html) players support TV, AM and FM playback so that you can watch TV and listen to the radios as well.