PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used this? CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner.

Mikecivic78
07-01-2010, 11:47 PM
I'm planning to do a throttle body clean and I stumbled upon this product at Supercheap. http://www.crcind.com.au/catalogue.nsf/web_brands/MAF+Sensor+Cleaner?openDocument

It basically claims that carby cleaner is too harsh and damages the MAF and this is the proper product to use. On the actual can it says that it's supposed to give actual hp gains.

Sounds like marketing spin, but the stuff costs $25 bucks a can which is really quite expensive. Does anyone know about this product?

fat_85_civic
08-01-2010, 09:12 AM
hondas dont have a MAF, they have a MAP. So the carby cleaner will not harm anything.

Go with normal carby cleaner.

Luke

duzy
08-01-2010, 09:39 AM
Could you use subaru upper engine cleaner for the sensors aswell?

Mikecivic78
08-01-2010, 11:50 AM
Could you use subaru upper engine cleaner for the sensors aswell?

Definitely. Thats what I plan to use.

hisoka
08-01-2010, 11:55 AM
no, just use a carby cleaner.

i have all three. and i use carby cleaner to clean honda sensor.

CRC MAF cleaner good for nissans because the sensor inside the tube (maf sensor) is sticking out and very fragile. it wont clean to much of your throttle body. its a very light clean if you get what i mean/

just use carby cleaner, works a treat

Mikecivic78
08-01-2010, 02:31 PM
no, just use a carby cleaner.

i have all three. and i use carby cleaner to clean honda sensor.

CRC MAF cleaner good for nissans because the sensor inside the tube (maf sensor) is sticking out and very fragile. it wont clean to much of your throttle body. its a very light clean if you get what i mean/

just use carby cleaner, works a treat

Cheers Hisoka :thumbsup:

beeza
08-01-2010, 05:58 PM
WIll Subaru UEC damage the MAP sensor Hisoka? I don't think so..

hisoka
08-01-2010, 08:44 PM
no but why pay for subaru upper engine cleaner, when you can get carby cleaner which is cheaper, and you get way more.

trust me lol. subaru engine cleaner mega overated lol. i daily a subaru, and have only used it like once, i still got 10 cans left LOL.

dont get me wrong, it does the job its supposed to but yeah carby cleaner does the cleaning he is after, just a throttle body

beeza
08-01-2010, 08:55 PM
Cheers mate!

string
10-01-2010, 12:04 AM
For what it's worth, CRC make excellent products.

mnc
10-01-2010, 01:46 AM
10 CANS LEFT!!! ill buy 2 off ya =]

beeza
10-01-2010, 10:33 AM
^^ Haha,I was waiting for that!!

I get asked a bit...but U can buy from the spare parts dept at any Subaru dealer

:)

hisoka
10-01-2010, 01:14 PM
For what it's worth, CRC make excellent products.

so true

beeza
10-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Great to know.They have been around forever.I always remember finding cans of CRC something in the garage when I was a little tyke :)

imratedpg
10-01-2010, 04:00 PM
theres a product that is better then subaru UEC and does the same job also is cheaper

beeza
10-01-2010, 04:50 PM
And that product is....

hisoka
10-01-2010, 06:04 PM
theres a product that is better then subaru UEC and does the same job also is cheaper

maybe we should come to ure garage and see if we can find it late at night lol. when your asleep

are you talking about seafoam thing ?

beeza
10-01-2010, 07:53 PM
Always wanted to do that but couldnt find it here plus there's quite a few horror stories of hydrolocking ya engine with it.

hisoka
10-01-2010, 09:49 PM
doesnt ure subaru uec do same thing ? smokes out street when i used it on my subaru lol

beeza
10-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Forsure,it's just that seaform is supposed to be the most heavy duty upper engine cleaner out there.tbh I don't reckon my engine needs it only old engines..with years of built up crap.

hisoka
10-01-2010, 10:13 PM
lol have u seen subarus. you can pour out 250 ml of actual liquid oil out the intercooler itself LOL. imagine what else is there as u go down further

beeza
10-01-2010, 10:17 PM
What do you mean?

hisoka
10-01-2010, 10:34 PM
like a 2005 model subaru ive worked on, just boosted up right ( and i think 2005 not to bad age for a car)

needed to be upper engine cleanered twice, there was like oil buildup (blowback) aswell as other deposits.

just saying subarus are really wierd engines lol. i couldnt beleive any other car to have shit built up like that. seriously lol

beeza
11-01-2010, 09:36 AM
AH gotcha.It's cause the engine rests on it's back yeah,so all the oil and gunk settles in all the little nook and cranny's?

bennjamin
11-01-2010, 04:41 PM
....thats why they call it "subaru upper cleaner" lol. Because its made for subarus only.

Engine layout is a big influence on this

Mikecivic78
11-01-2010, 07:48 PM
....thats why they call it "subaru upper cleaner" lol. Because its made for subarus only.

Engine layout is a big influence on this

Heya Bennjamin. Good to see a bit of debate on the thread. What would you recommend for a basic throttle body clean?

bennjamin
11-01-2010, 08:42 PM
Heya Bennjamin. Good to see a bit of debate on the thread. What would you recommend for a basic throttle body clean?

IMO

Grab a old tooth brush and a clean rag.
Take off tb piping - open the throttle with ur finger or get a mate to hold the throttle open in cabin.
Spray an amount of CARBY CLEANER in the inlet , around the TB , around the actual butterfly too. Grab the rag clean off any major excess - then grab the toothbrush and scrub away around all the surfaces you can.

Leave for a good few minutes , absorb up any excess dirt / carby cleaner mix with the rag if you want.
Hook up the piping again get it back to stock and start the car. It WILL struggle to start first off - might idle alittle off but it will eventually pep back into normal life.

beeza
11-01-2010, 08:46 PM
Should just take the TB off,it's so easy and U can clean it up perfectly and it needs it!

hisoka
11-01-2010, 08:48 PM
used to clean my motorbike ones with fuel lol

beeza
11-01-2010, 08:51 PM
I used to clean my skate bearing in petrol and soak them in sewing oil overnight.

Mikecivic78
13-01-2010, 08:25 PM
IMO

Grab a old tooth brush and a clean rag.
Take off tb piping - open the throttle with ur finger or get a mate to hold the throttle open in cabin.
Spray an amount of CARBY CLEANER in the inlet , around the TB , around the actual butterfly too. Grab the rag clean off any major excess - then grab the toothbrush and scrub away around all the surfaces you can.

Leave for a good few minutes , absorb up any excess dirt / carby cleaner mix with the rag if you want.
Hook up the piping again get it back to stock and start the car. It WILL struggle to start first off - might idle alittle off but it will eventually pep back into normal life.

So you basically recommend good ol' regular carby cleaner. Is there any particular brand that u think is best?

I was gonna actually take everything apart and clean it off the car ( take off the MAP sensor and IACV and give them a good clean). Do you think this is a waste of time?

Mikecivic78
25-01-2010, 08:31 PM
I did my throttle body clean. I used Nulon throttle/carby cleaner.

I tried to remove the whole TB and clean it off the car (like Beeza suggested) but one of the 4 main screw bolts was F++ked. The head has been snapped off by someone and they just placed a same diameter bolt onto it to make it look normal. Therefore I couldnt take the whole TB off :(

So, I just used Bennjamins method. I also adjusted the throttle cable. Its unbelievable how much gunk is inside the intake manifold.

Result: better idle and throttle response.

beeza
26-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Oh beautiful Mike.

Damn that bolt.

Is the tps riveted or screwed on?

Mikecivic78
26-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Oh beautiful Mike.

Damn that bolt.

Is the tps riveted or screwed on?

yea, the TPS is riveted on, just like yours used to be.

beeza
27-01-2010, 05:26 PM
Damn.It would be a bit tricky to grind them off while it's on there.

Gotta get that bolt off to get the tps off to do the tps mod..

Mikecivic78
27-01-2010, 05:59 PM
yea, i'll have to try to get it off somehow. I need to get a grip on it and then screw it out.

I'm not gonna do it yet, maybe next service.

beeza
27-01-2010, 06:04 PM
Sweet!

Mikecivic78
27-01-2010, 06:07 PM
I'll make sure I'll let u know how it goes Beeza!

beeza
27-01-2010, 06:08 PM
SA-weeeet! :)

Mikecivic78
31-01-2010, 02:33 PM
I
I tried to remove the whole TB and clean it off the car (like Beeza suggested) but one of the 4 main screw bolts was F++ked. The head has been snapped off by someone and they just placed a same diameter bolt onto it to make it look normal. Therefore I couldnt take the whole TB off :(

Just looked at the service manual. It is a nut on a screw.

It aint broken. Thats how it's supposed to be. I guess its only screwed into the intake manifold and not the TB. My bad.

I'll have a look at it next service. I need a multimeter and angle grinder tho'

Anglegrinder i can borrow, im not too sure about a multimeter. Its a useful tool, so I'll look into buying one.

beeza
31-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Yeah they are only 20 bucks.

2 of the them are nuts on bolts that are part of the IM.The other 2 are bolts that go into the IM.

Mikecivic78
31-01-2010, 05:48 PM
Yeah they are only 20 bucks.

2 of the them are nuts on bolts that are part of the IM.The other 2 are bolts that go into the IM.

20 bucks, thats cheap as! I'll definitely take it apart and do the TPS next time. :thumbsup:

I've also decided to replace the PCV valve, i did the squeeze test today and I didnt hear anything. The car eats a little bit of oil (about 500ml per 5,000km). I've decided to start monitoring my fuel economy as well.

Takes ages to start when tank is 1/4 full or less full. I'm still at odds as to why this happens, my old ej8 was much better in this regard. Also idles a little rough at times also.

Ive gone a bit off topic... maybe I should start a thread on this.

BTW, u still coming to the GC meet on Saturday?

DC2-PWR
31-01-2010, 06:21 PM
I use this MAF sensor cleaner on my GU Patrol every time I service it, you can feel the difference straight after its cleaned. It boost's a lot quicker to 13psi,

So yeah if you guys do have a MAF sensor I reccomend this, I did use carby clearners before but nothing works better than this CRC.

beeza
01-02-2010, 05:08 PM
U can just clean up the PCV valve up with CC,it's just as good as buying a new one.

YUP! psyched for saturday :)

Damn $28 for the CRC MAF sensor cleaner from repco.

I wanna try it but.How different do ya think Suburu UEC will be from this stuff?

Mikecivic78
01-02-2010, 06:10 PM
U can just clean up the PCV valve up with CC,it's just as good as buying a new one.

YUP! psyched for saturday :)

Damn $28 for the CRC MAF sensor cleaner from repco.

I wanna try it but.How different do ya think Suburu UEC will be from this stuff?

Well aparently its much more gentle than carby cleaner.

But as someone else pointed out, it's MAF sensor cleaner and Civics have a MAP sensor. As i understand, they serve the same function, so I guess that it can be used on a MAP sensor.

Still $28 bucks... Ive read some posts from the states and some guys swear by it.

Maybe a good clean will do it for the PCV, i'll give it a try.

Saturday should be good, hopefully it doesn't rain.

beeza
01-02-2010, 06:17 PM
Not coming on the gold coast cruise saturday?

I might just clean it up with Suburu UEC.

string
02-02-2010, 02:54 PM
But as someone else pointed out, it's MAF sensor cleaner and Civics have a MAP sensor. As i understand, they serve the same function, so I guess that it can be used on a MAP sensor.

They don't serve the same function. One measures air mass flow rate, and one, air pressure. I doubt a map-sensor would get dirty - it's at an air-flow dead-end.

Mikecivic78
02-02-2010, 06:33 PM
They don't serve the same function. One measures air mass flow rate, and one, air pressure. I doubt a map-sensor would get dirty - it's at an air-flow dead-end.

thanks for the clarification bro'

Mikecivic78
02-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Not coming on the gold coast cruise saturday?

Im comin mate :thumbsup: Just I hope it doesnt rain on us is all.

beeza
03-02-2010, 01:35 PM

Cheers String,it seems right,I mean the opening is just a tiny nipple...

I will still clean it out with Suburu UEC though :)

beeza
03-02-2010, 01:37 PM
Im comin mate :thumbsup: Just I hope it doesnt rain on us is all.

True true,Tim showed me the forecaft,isolated thunderstorms :car: