PDA

View Full Version : throttle body selection...

AXS
08-01-2010, 03:43 AM
hey guys im looking to upgrade my throttle body on my egb18r, atm it has a injen intake, full exhaust, fuel pump. i want to upgrade to a skunk2 throttle body and inlet manifold, just wondering what size throttle body would you guys suggest, 68mm? 70mm? it will be tuned soon after

cheers

EKhatchguy
08-01-2010, 04:48 AM
Unless you are going with some crazy N/A build, or boost, your stock one should be just fine.

If you end up getting one that big, expect your throttle response to be killed.

AXS
08-01-2010, 05:25 AM
Unless you are going with some crazy N/A build, or boost, your stock one should be just fine.

If you end up getting one that big, expect your throttle response to be killed.

so your telling me i will not gain any power what so ever? and when you mean killed, will it be that bad?

EKhatchguy
08-01-2010, 05:36 AM
You may gain power in the higher rpms if you just slap it on.

Think about like this... You have x amount of water (doesn't matter how much for the example).

You put it through a 1" hose and it shoots out due to the pressure/velocity etc.

You take the same amount of water and put it through a 2" hose, and it'll dribble out for the most part.

Kinda like the same thing here. You engine needs X amount of air at certain rpms. A smaller TB will allow that air to rush in faster, but you will be limited with the maximum amount of air it can possibly flwo at one time.

If you get a bigger TB, the air in the lower rpms will have the velocity compared to the water in the bigger hose.

Your stock one is 60mm I believe. I have two questions for you now...

1. What do you plan to do with this car? If you do plan on a big turbo/boost set-up, I would go with a 66mm.

2. You say you have an aftermarket/upgraded Intake manifold? How big is the hole where it connects to the TB? If it is 62mm, putting on a 68mm TB won't do anything unless the intake manifold is bored to the same size. Your intake system will only be as free fliwing as your most restrictive part.

Hope that helps.

AXS
08-01-2010, 06:11 AM
You may gain power in the higher rpms if you just slap it on.

Think about like this... You have x amount of water (doesn't matter how much for the example).

You put it through a 1" hose and it shoots out due to the pressure/velocity etc.

You take the same amount of water and put it through a 2" hose, and it'll dribble out for the most part.

Kinda like the same thing here. You engine needs X amount of air at certain rpms. A smaller TB will allow that air to rush in faster, but you will be limited with the maximum amount of air it can possibly flwo at one time.

If you get a bigger TB, the air in the lower rpms will have the velocity compared to the water in the bigger hose.

Your stock one is 60mm I believe. I have two questions for you now...

1. What do you plan to do with this car? If you do plan on a big turbo/boost set-up, I would go with a 66mm.

2. You say you have an aftermarket/upgraded Intake manifold? How big is the hole where it connects to the TB? If it is 62mm, putting on a 68mm TB won't do anything unless the intake manifold is bored to the same size. Your intake system will only be as free fliwing as your most restrictive part.

Hope that helps.

btw b18c7 tb is 62mm

example understood, but i do not see it that way, maybe because your using water as an example....

anyways the car will be a street car, i will be upgrading the inlet manifold and TB at the same time, skunk2 is the brand i will be going towards.

A #1. it will not be boosted, or no internal work will be done at this stage anyway, merely tuned with i/h/e and tb.

A #2. the hole is 74mm (skunk2)

90LAN
08-01-2010, 07:57 AM
SPOON 70mm>>>64mm oem quality and fitment
and with brand new sensors
for around the small price as other tb

Cooker
08-01-2010, 09:37 AM
When will people leave the whole IM and TB thing on fairly stock engines ALONE!!!!
YOU WILL GAIN ***K ALL POWER!!!! WASTE OF TIME.
Don't believe me?? Go to the dyno with your wanky 9000mm throttle body. Do a run with the OEM one then do one with the one 9000mm throttle body and see yourself how much power you don't gain.
Throttle response will be improved and you will "think" you have more power due to the fact that you don't have to push your foot down as much to get the same amount of air in then the smaller TB. But go to a dyno and you will see that on a mildly built engine you will gain 0, I repeat 0hp.

PEOPLE, PLEASE, LEAVE THE OEM TB AN IM ALONE, UNLESS YOU HAVE A FULLY BUILT BALLISTIC N/A SCREAMER!!!
And no, having Buddy club stage 2 in your B18CR or ITR cams in a B16a does not meet this N/A screamer criteria lol

90LAN
08-01-2010, 12:04 PM
When will people leave the whole IM and TB thing on fairly stock engines ALONE!!!!
YOU WILL GAIN ***K ALL POWER!!!! WASTE OF TIME.
Don't believe me?? Go to the dyno with your wanky 9000mm throttle body. Do a run with the OEM one then do one with the one 9000mm throttle body and see yourself how much power you don't gain.
Throttle response will be improved and you will "think" you have more power due to the fact that you don't have to push your foot down as much to get the same amount of air in then the smaller TB. But go to a dyno and you will see that on a mildly built engine you will gain 0, I repeat 0hp.

PEOPLE, PLEASE, LEAVE THE OEM TB AN IM ALONE, UNLESS YOU HAVE A FULLY BUILT BALLISTIC N/A SCREAMER!!!
And no, having Buddy club stage 2 in your B18CR or ITR cams in a B16a does not meet this N/A screamer criteria lol

your engine must of been a dud then lol

NightKids
08-01-2010, 02:34 PM
your engine must of been a dud then lol

haha that.

dougie_504
09-01-2010, 02:04 AM
hey guys im looking to upgrade my throttle body on my egb18r, atm it has a injen intake, full exhaust, fuel pump. i want to upgrade to a skunk2 throttle body and inlet manifold, just wondering what size throttle body would you guys suggest, 68mm? 70mm? it will be tuned soon after

cheers

That will set you back like $600-700 right?

I recommend just getting a lightweight flywheel, better final drive or some light internal work.

IM and TB isn't really worthwhile unless you're gonna put massive money into the engine.

bennjamin
09-01-2010, 09:47 AM
another IMO

A throttle body upgrade....isnt needed or warranted for standard / mild even worked engines. So do dont waste your money on it

Lukezen27
09-01-2010, 05:45 PM
another IMO

A throttle body upgrade....isnt needed or warranted for standard / mild even worked engines. So do dont waste your money on it

:thumbsup:

cheers

BAH

I'm running stock 60mm IM on my boosted B16A

90LAN
09-01-2010, 10:48 PM
another IMO

any proof ?

BAH

yeah you cant afford one because you spent all your money fixing it

def need a bigger one imo

bennjamin
10-01-2010, 01:08 AM
any proof ?

No proof at all. Just heresay from builders , smart older people in general. but lets get some dyno readouts of people out there that HAVE used a larger TB - combined with more mods etc !

Cooker
10-01-2010, 01:50 PM
You want proof???!!! I know of a B20 with a 62mm TB on it, TODA spec B's etc made around 180whp. Threw a 70mm TB on it as the customer requested and guess what Lan the Einstein, NOT 1 MORE HP.
That was on a B20!!!
Plus I have also first hand seen people throwing B18CR IM and TB's on B16a's and the amount of midrange grunt they loose is just a joke!!! I'm talking 10-15whp less in the midrange then the OEM B16a setup, and these are not bog stock B16a's either.

As I said b4, on a HIGHLY worked N/A engine, bigger TB and IM (bigger then OEM) will help. You prob only need both hands to count the amount of highly worked N/A honda's in OZ that will actually benefit. And those that will benefit prob have quad throts on anyway so this doesn't even apply to them.

You don't know what you are talking about 90LAN so I suggest you don't comment on posts you know nothing about and say silly things like my engine must be dud and say that all us people that actually circuit race/drag race and see the benefits and the downfalls of certain engine mods don't know what we are talking about etc.
You wana prove all your knowledge and Honda skill? You know where the best proving ground is, out on the track, wether it be drag or circuit.

90LAN
10-01-2010, 02:21 PM
thats why i bought the spoon one its 70mm then goes to 64 mm butterfly with oem tb
works a treat

where as teh other ones which are straight 70mm would like you said work only on big built motors

im no einstein just common sense will tell ya

im on commenting on what you post
so your telling me it was dead the same amount of kws when you swapped it over
gee that must tell you some thing what ever you put on your car it will be the same kws lol
didnt your tuner do his magic ??

funny how ppl that go on the track think they are the best
any one can go on the track and have some fun
some people choose not to do it

if you were so good as you say and have all this knowledge
have you won any titles have you got track records etc

im commenting on what i have exprience and know and used
have you used a spoon tb before if not
dont talk about stuff you dont have a exprience with

Lukezen27
10-01-2010, 02:40 PM
BAH

yeah you cant afford one because you spent all your money fixing it

def need a bigger one imo

Well I'm making 161kw ATFW on 9psi OEM TB/IM

Surely that's proof enough?

Do you think I'd make that power if I had flow problems?

90LAN
10-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Well I'm making 161kw ATFW on 9psi OEM TB/IM

Surely that's proof enough?

Do you think I'd make that power if I had flow problems?

wow thats heaps of power for a turbo
try i bigger tb and see if you can make some more power

Cooker
10-01-2010, 05:39 PM
if you were so good as you say and have all this knowledge
have you won any titles have you got track records etc

You wana bring up titles?
What Title do you hold? OZ honda JDM Hard-parker of the century? This thread can easily escalate into an argument. Don't start arguments boy.

I have the lap record at Barbagalo Raceway for the 2L and under class in the W.A Sprint/time attack.
And I'm running a mildly worked B16a. To make a B16a that competitive and its fairly standard, I'm sure me and my dyno tuner know what we are doing.

Lukezen27
10-01-2010, 06:51 PM
wow thats heaps of power for a turbo
try i bigger tb and see if you can make some more power

for an unopened B16A on only 9psi that's a lot!!!!!!

bennjamin
10-01-2010, 06:59 PM
for an unopened B16A on only 9psi that's a lot!!!!!!

yeah thats a good 60-70kw ATW......

tell me any other mod/s for that price that would net you that much !

90LAN
10-01-2010, 08:34 PM
You wana bring up titles?
What Title do you hold? OZ honda JDM Hard-parker of the century? This thread can easily escalate into an argument. Don't start arguments boy.

I have the lap record at Barbagalo Raceway for the 2L and under class in the W.A Sprint/time attack.
And I'm running a mildly worked B16a. To make a B16a that competitive and its fairly standard, I'm sure me and my dyno tuner know what we are doing.

im really happy for you with that record but you told us that one already

wow thats the second time you have brought that one up
got any new records

must be fun racing in wa were theres hardly any other hondas racing

of course your going to have the record if you race there a million times

race at any other tracks you pro driver you

especially when you made the same amount of power with and without a bigger tb

got any pics of this under 2lt class record breaking car and motor set up

that seems to get the same power after you do a mod to it ?????

anyway any dyno graphs of the same power runs with and with out the bigger tb so members can see

i build my cars to drive on the street not
to be a pro driver who cant get any power out of a bigger tb
try port matching the manifold ?

so when are you going to be drving in the 2lt plus class

must be boring holding the record in the same class over and over again on the same track

Cooker
10-01-2010, 09:23 PM
You don't learn do you. Your so proud, you can't just stop embarrassing yourself. I hope some moderator deletes all these posts for your sake. I told you not to start arguments.
Anyway you didn't listen...

im really happy for you with that record but you told us that one already
wow thats the second time you have brought that one up
got any new records

Why did you ask again then???? You have Alzheimer's??

especially when you made the same amount of power with and without a bigger tb

Who ever said it was my engine that I have the bigger TB info on? You have dyslexia as well as Alzheimer's?
I'm not as stupid as you to fit a bigger TB on my own car.

got any pics of this under 2lt class record breaking car and motor set up

Unlike you I let my car do the talking and not my mouth and fingers on forums. You might like getting everyone bowing down to you because you do your little silly JDM mods etc and spend years finding some rare as exhaust that makes less power then a backyard job but because its JDM you love it and you keep the box in your bedroom,
but where I want respect is at the track, not on some forum with people like you that just talk crap all day and don't know what they are talking about. There is no thread on OZ Honda about my car, I don't need one. As I said, the car speaks for itself.

i build my cars to drive on the street

Ain't you gansgta as. I build my car for the track and I drive it on the road as a daily.
What you mean to say is you build your car for your driveway cos didn't you say something along the lines of "I like my car looking like a 4wd offroader and I refuse to lower it because... my JDM exhaust might scrape"
awwwwwwww ain't that cute.

try port matching the manifold?

Now you giving me tips?? hahaha

must be boring holding the record in the same class over and over again on the same track

Um actually its not. You hold the record for biggest wanker on Ozhonda and you don't seem to be getting sik of it.
Barbagolo's is the only big track in W.A so unless you plan on me to build a multi million dollar track this will remain.
If you know anything about tracks in OZ you would know this.

90LAN
10-01-2010, 09:58 PM
i know your frustrated cos you mods fail
and make no power

your my hero i just want to be like you a pro racer that drives his race car on the road

you must feel so good when you do with your track record car

you talk about it so much why dont you post up some pics

and show us the tb you used to gain no power

maybe if you got it to work for you on the dyno and made some more power

you could smash your existing record

care to boast a bit more about your feats ?

AXS
10-01-2010, 11:35 PM
so what everyone is saying is stick to standard??? even if its going to be tuned with other mods?

isnt it the more air and fuel you can pump in the faster it goes? obviously in a tuned manner?

tell me if im wrong....id like to increase power on my car without opening up the motor, due to the facet that iv seen alot of family and friends destroy their existing motors and end up spending thousands on a project that shouldnt have cost them that much....

thanks for all the help BTW

vinnY
11-01-2010, 08:43 AM
well not point having a larger tb to let more air in when the cams will only open up the valves enough(and long enough) to take in a lesser amount

bennjamin
11-01-2010, 09:30 AM
imo

replace the restrictions on intake and exhaust.

So , better flowing intake , better flowing header , better flowing CAT and CAT BACK and muffler. Not TB.

dougie_504
11-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Leave TB and IM, they will be fine for basic bolt-on mods and light-moderate head work.

Just give them a good lean with Suburu engine cleaner or carby cleaner etc, will flow very nicely after that and maybe give you a HP or 2

AXS
11-02-2010, 12:28 AM
Well thanks for all the advice guys but i still went ahead with the upgrade, it went 68mm s2 TB and s2 IM ported to a 68MM, the car has gain alot of torque and power throughout the rev range, if anybody is looking into this upgrade it will be worth it and will not regret a thing, not the engine bay looks great and the drive is awsome! :D :D :D

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae22/jdm818/DSC00918.jpg

dougie_504
12-02-2010, 01:30 AM
Looks f'ing mint in that bay of your's mate. Good for you :)

pinoy-boi
12-02-2010, 09:34 AM
keyboard warriors FTW lmao.

looks nice, im liking da blue rocker cover. wat other mods u planning to do??

dougie_504
13-02-2010, 01:29 AM
What bolt-ons are you currently running? IE what brands? Headers look nice :)

AXS
14-02-2010, 03:19 AM
intake and exhaust are both unbranded, liverpool exhaust did my full exhaust system, 4-2-1 headers ceramic coated, high flow cat, and a basic looking cannon, intake is a injen replica, also made at liverpool exhaust and ceramic coated aswell running a blox velocity stacker pod filter, i got spoon leads, 550hp fuel pump walhbro, using castrol edge sport 10w-60w, platinum plugs...the intake manifold and TB also done as stated above and seen :cool:

in the near future id like to get a lightened flywheel and 6 puck clutch, running a exedy heavy duty clutch at the moment.

further down the track going to be doing full head work.....hope all goes well!

vinnY
14-02-2010, 10:28 PM
how much did the ceramic coating cost from livo exhausts?

Tegzieboi_BAR
24-05-2010, 03:35 PM
Good to hear the result of the upgrade from the OP himself... good to know the outcome is positive.

Does anyone know the internal diameter of the OEM B18CR IM? My OEM TB is sticky and i will be making the upgrade to a 66mm TB, just need to know how much the IM will require to be ported.

Tegzieboi_BAR
28-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Installed my Blox 66mm TB last night n ported out the B18CR IM to match... certainly a noticeable torque n top end power increase althought the initial response a bit off, worthwile mod imo n the pedal feels much better.