PDA

View Full Version : Bonnet Lock Issue

Oinking
08-01-2010, 03:29 PM
Hey guys, just wanted to ask a quick question about the bonnet lock. I recently purchased a 2nd hand fiber glass bonnet and when i put it in, everything went ok, except for the fact that the bonnet wouldn't close completely. The bonnet lock would not engage. I asked th person i purchased it off and he said that he didn't need anything modifications for it to fit on his AP1 (mines AP1 too). I've already checked the rubber stoppers on the sides and they don't seem to be a problem. He mentioned that i might have to raise the bonnet lock. I was wondering if anyone has experienced the same problem and how they fixed it.
Ps - i'm not exactly a auto-genius xD so any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/Oinking/IMG_0671.jpg

vyets
08-01-2010, 04:16 PM
Just raise the bonnet latchm 5 minute job it tends to slide down after awhile thats why. And thats not a fiberglass bonnet it looks like a carbon fiber bonnet.

mikoZ
08-01-2010, 04:16 PM
do you can any strut bar etc, could be sumthing in engine bay block the way

gee-aye-dee
08-01-2010, 04:29 PM
yeah just check your latch position it could be off centre. undo the latch bolts so its still firm but moves with a little force and the get the latch to engage. re open the bonnet and tighten the latch

ludecrs
09-01-2010, 08:40 AM
I just dropped my latch by undoing the 3 bolts. It just slid down and then I re-tightened the bolts back up. Presto - doneski.

Oinking
09-01-2010, 06:29 PM
Sweet thanks guys. <3 u all :D Oh and vyets it's actually fiberglass with carbon Fiber bottom so it looks like CF but it actually isn't. But yea xD i know which bolts u guys are talking about so i'll go check on it right after this damn heat dies out XD. <3 Ozhonda.

jaeyon
10-01-2010, 03:26 PM
Sweet thanks guys. <3 u all :D Oh and vyets it's actually fiberglass with carbon Fiber bottom so it looks like CF but it actually isn't. But yea xD i know which bolts u guys are talking about so i'll go check on it right after this damn heat dies out XD. <3 Ozhonda.

hey pat lol its john here. no no its cf on the top and fibreglass on the botton (fibreglass isnt clear). Its a "wet carbon" fibre bonnet. most bonnets are made in this way with carbon on top (for the weave) and fibreglass on the bottom for reinforcement (saves costs as well). i think i probably confused you when i explained it.

i did say to adjust the latch, mine must have been done by the previous owner hence why yours didnt close properly. easy to do ;)

mikoZ
10-01-2010, 05:16 PM
[QUOTE=jaeyon;2612638]Its a "wet carbon" fibre bonnet. most bonnets are made in this way with carbon on top (for the weave) and fibreglass on the bottom for reinforcement (saves costs as well). i think i probably confused you when i explained it.[QUOTE]

and dry carbon is 100% illegal on the street, but seems the wet one is legal,eah?...

vyets
10-01-2010, 05:17 PM
they're both illegal same with every other mod lol

mikoZ
10-01-2010, 05:20 PM
lol,crap...
then the Fiber glass one should be illegal as well?

jaeyon
10-01-2010, 05:27 PM
yup both are defects (though i dont think they will really hassle you over it). the dry carbon ones are stronger and lighter, but a fair bit more expensive (think double +).

mikoZ
10-01-2010, 07:21 PM
what the point here to defect this mods, it not locked properly?

vyets
10-01-2010, 08:19 PM
Fiberglass + Carbon shatters when you get into a accident, so it's not excatly safe. However, genuine carbon bonnets are extremly light and sometimes they can flip up into the windscreen, which is why people use bonnet locks :)

mikoZ
10-01-2010, 08:39 PM
However, genuine carbon bonnets are extremly light and sometimes they can flip up into the windscreen, which is why people use bonnet locks :)

i heard abt ppl in the car and got neck cut by apart flip in carbon bonnet..when the car in a accident.. is that true? coz the genuine carbon bennets are extremly hard as well...

and the bonnet locks/bonnet pin is illegally to use on a street car, right?

jaeyon
11-01-2010, 08:26 AM
i heard abt ppl in the car and got neck cut by apart flip in carbon bonnet..when the car in a accident.. is that true? coz the genuine carbon bennets are extremly hard as well...

and the bonnet locks/bonnet pin is illegally to use on a street car, right?

bonnet locks are a defect but the bonnet is a defect too. Metal/stock bonnets will crumple under stresses/in an accident whereas fibreglass or carbon fibre will simply shatter/crack.

its not the harder your car is the safer, crumple zones absorb shock impact so the passengers dont get hurt, if it was super rigid (the car), when you crash the shock would probably snap your neck.

Oinking
12-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Adjusted the locks just as u said John. Worked like a charm. I guess i'll just drive extra careful and stay away from the cops :P Thanks again.