PDA

View Full Version : honda eg breeze. wanna convert to sohc vtec?

thj822
08-01-2010, 11:45 PM
is it easy to convert it to a sohc vtec from the eg vtec. its a eg 1.3L breeze with carby fuel lines. does it matter? will i have to change the fuel lines?

na-118
08-01-2010, 11:48 PM
yeah easy slap fuel tank, motor and ecu all plug and play der search

dougie_504
09-01-2010, 01:45 AM
Just a note: Lots of people will tell you this swap isn't worth it because you don't get much out of the swap compared to a B-Series and the SOHC has virtually nil potential unless you go FI.

Just food for thought.

That said, I'm quite fond of my SOHC VTEC engine in my EH9 :)

AXS
09-01-2010, 04:40 AM
is it easy to convert it to a sohc vtec from the eg vtec. its a eg 1.3L breeze with carby fuel lines. does it matter? will i have to change the fuel lines?

save a little more and get a b-series motor, because your going to go through alot of hastle to convert it to be able to run a EFI engine....so have the power that youv struglled so hard for!

dougie_504
09-01-2010, 08:47 AM
^

That's right.

If you're going to be paying for the labour you may as well go B16A at least :)

02gzm
09-01-2010, 01:02 PM
Would be cheaper to sell the breeze and buy a VTi. Go the B-swap if you're gonna go to all that effort ;)

thaizeg
09-01-2010, 01:09 PM
you guys arent answering the mans question...
lol

02gzm
09-01-2010, 01:14 PM
Isn't easy. Need the tank, lines, EFI loom, engine and ECU. Rewiring the car will shit you off. And possibly cause problems down the track if something stuffs up.

OEM reliability is much better.

thj822
09-01-2010, 05:28 PM
thank for all the replies guys. yeah probably isnt worth it. too much work =D

curtis265
09-01-2010, 08:15 PM
I has a breeze too, i know they're v. slow, but the best thing is to put up with it... or put another carby engine in, lol

thaizeg
10-01-2010, 06:23 AM
Isn't easy. Need the tank, lines, EFI loom, engine and ECU. Rewiring the car will shit you off. And possibly cause problems down the track if something stuffs up.

OEM reliability is much better.

So if u can get the full loom from the efi eg ( Complete from engine to inside the car).... Would it be just a swap over? Might take abit longer taking off the dash n stuff but don't have worry bout rewiring the car?

na-118
10-01-2010, 08:08 AM
yeah if you have complete interior and exterior looms ecu and shit, easy

dougie_504
10-01-2010, 08:18 AM
Also just wanted to add.

SOHC VTEC is probably not as good an option as DOHC non-VTEC.

Maybe consider the D16A8 DOHC non-VTEC, just because of the extra cam. It has a better torque curve than the SOHC VTEC and is much more responsive to modifications. Cheaper engine, and cheaper labor and it's non-VTEC (less wiring work). You can't really get shit out of a SOHC VTEC engine unless you go turbo.

I have a SOHC VTEC and wish I'd bought a DOHC non-VTEC civic instead <lol>

EDIT: Or even consider a B18B from an Integra GSR. Probably just as cheap. That would pull really well in an EG, especially with some bolt-ons :)

thj822
11-01-2010, 12:29 PM
will i have to change my fuel tank? use the same gearbox?

thj822
11-01-2010, 12:43 PM
if i got wiring from a efi eg

thaizeg
11-01-2010, 02:36 PM
Fuel tank will need to be changed to an efi one witha fuel pump also.
As long as the gearbox and engine are both d-series u can use ur old gearbox.

dougie_504
11-01-2010, 08:00 PM
yes to above :)

But still...consider what you're doing man. If you're paying for the labour it's probably not worth doing an engine conversion unless you go B16, B18 or H22 etc :)

thaizeg
11-01-2010, 08:21 PM
^^ that is true but for the ones who like to learn more bout working on cars and doing engine swaps.. its a good challenge.
in the long run u can do the conversion urself and save alot on labour..

AXS
11-01-2010, 11:31 PM
Also just wanted to add.

SOHC VTEC is probably not as good an option as DOHC non-VTEC.

Maybe consider the D16A8 DOHC non-VTEC, just because of the extra cam. It has a better torque curve than the SOHC VTEC and is much more responsive to modifications. Cheaper engine, and cheaper labor and it's non-VTEC (less wiring work). You can't really get shit out of a SOHC VTEC engine unless you go turbo.

I have a SOHC VTEC and wish I'd bought a DOHC non-VTEC civic instead <lol>

EDIT: Or even consider a B18B from an Integra GSR. Probably just as cheap. That would pull really well in an EG, especially with some bolt-ons :)

a d-series is no motor to stick you into your seat but my cousins doing a d-series and he has pulled a 15.6 at wsid, with headers, catback, injen replica intake, blox velocity stacker, blox inlet manifold, and stage 2 cams (btw not tuned yet) so its not immposible to make it have abit of balls but if thats your budget go for gold i respect that as long as u dont get turned off and move away from hondas...

iv previously had a 300zx with 140rwkw

mild tuned gts-t skyline r32

and then stepped into the world of honda's and did a b18c7 ccenversion into my eg. And now i dnt see myself driving anything else in the future, N/A motors in the right cars are much more enjoyable than a mild tuned turbo car...WRX's freak when we both drop second gear and i pull away!!

lol sorry for the life story guys :P

tsg88
12-01-2010, 02:59 AM
i respect that as long as u dont get turned off and move away from hondas...

and then stepped into the world of honda's and did a b18c7 ccenversion into my eg. And now i dnt see myself driving anything else in the future, N/A motors in the right cars are much more enjoyable than a mild tuned turbo car...WRX's freak when we both drop second gear and i pull away!!

Really? I know a guy with a 300ZX and he reckons its a rocket? I personally don't like them at all. They look like they are trying too hard to be a 'sports' car.

Skylines are every boys dream, but Skyline or Commodore are the most popular choice here. I only know of one Honda that sounds kinda worked, and its so beat up. Also I don't like Turbo's, they are too show boaty, not my style, everyone hearing you pull away with a tsss on every gear, I find it more embarrassing than anything.

I am tempted to upgrade to a DOHC VTEC from my CXi's D16Y4 for my next car, it's only a matter of time/money. I consider my Honda CXi the trail run, its my first manual car, so i'm practicing a manual gearbox (waaay out of practice) and it will sit at the station in my current situation. A conversion... sounds like a lot of effort... and my dad would kill me if I started pulling cars apart on his lawn lol. (saving to move out *sigh*)

02gzm
12-01-2010, 07:38 AM
Really? I know a guy with a 300ZX and he reckons its a rocket? I personally don't like them at all. They look like they are trying too hard to be a 'sports' car.

Skylines are every boys dream, but Skyline or Commodore are the most popular choice here. I only know of one Honda that sounds kinda worked, and its so beat up. Also I don't like Turbo's, they are too show boaty, not my style, everyone hearing you pull away with a tsss on every gear, I find it more embarrassing than anything.

I am tempted to upgrade to a DOHC VTEC from my CXi's D16Y4 for my next car, it's only a matter of time/money. I consider my Honda CXi the trail run, its my first manual car, so i'm practicing a manual gearbox (waaay out of practice) and it will sit at the station in my current situation. A conversion... sounds like a lot of effort... and my dad would kill me if I started pulling cars apart on his lawn lol. (saving to move out *sigh*)

You live it Brisbane and only know of 1 semi worked Honda? You need to get out more son ;)

And 300ZX's are boats unless they've had huge bucks spent on them.
A twin turbo 1UZ-FE setup would go alright though.

tsg88
12-01-2010, 01:47 PM
You live it Brisbane and only know of 1 semi worked Honda? You need to get out more son ;)

And 300ZX's are boats unless they've had huge bucks spent on them.
A twin turbo 1UZ-FE setup would go alright though.

I live closer to the Sunshine Coast than I do Brisbane. I put Brisbane in my profile to keep things simple, since I public transport my way into Brissy for work meetings. I don't think its a turbo'd 300ZX.. Just has chrome wheels, 2 cannons out the back and new air intake. But yeah I imagine it to be a boat (never been for a ride) even with its 6 cylinder engine.

I can't wait until I get my CXi to a state I am happy with, but its all time and money. My main goal is to make it cleaner than when I bought it, with some improvements like a new stereo (done) and a nice set of Alloys.

02gzm
12-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Lol yea a vg30de 300zx with chromies will struggle to get out of the 16's...

Giraffe
12-01-2010, 03:58 PM
haha you say that commodores and skylines are popular choices in there, but in melb i see an EG every 5 seconds.

i think honda's are the most picked car's in melbourne, going about as young people.

tsg88
12-01-2010, 06:42 PM
Yeah that's what lead me to choose a Civic for my first car, they're relatively rare in my immediate area. A lot more common in the City and on the Gold Coast however.

I bought mine from Brisbane and drove it up my way. Every one I looked at online was very close to Brisbane. I find it a nice freeway drive car so I don't really know why there isn't as many out here. Only 1 or 2 EK's and I know of 1 beat up EG.

A lot of 4x4's out here, but we already have a damn good one in the family.

dougie_504
14-01-2010, 02:58 AM
a d-series is no motor to stick you into your seat but my cousins doing a d-series and he has pulled a 15.6 at wsid, with headers, catback, injen replica intake, blox velocity stacker, blox inlet manifold, and stage 2 cams (btw not tuned yet) so its not immposible to make it have abit of balls but if thats your budget go for gold i respect that as long as u dont get turned off and move away from hondas...

True man. I have massive respect for the D. I have the SOHC VTEC one, and my mate's DOHC non-VTEC one pulls super hard.
Our club leader is running sub-12's on his turbo setup also :D

But if you're going to pay for labour to convert any engine I wouldn't swap to a D series because there is far less potential and it'd cost more money than it's worth to make it perform like a B16A <lol>