PDA

View Full Version : Car off - does brake light turn on???

DC4Integra98
10-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Today when doing some maintenance on my integra dc4, I noticed that when I turn off the ignition and step on the brakes that the brake lights don't work.

Stepping on it multiple times it would sometimes turn on and other times it didn't.

However, when I start the car/drive it, the brake lights work fine.
I've got a few things in mind as to what the cause of it might be....

1) Battery - the car battery drains itself very fast or voltage is high?
2) Immobilisers
3) Wiring problem

Any help much appreciated!

EDIT:
Basically to clarify,

* engine off = brake light sometimes working when I keep jamming the brakes.
=> on/off
* engine on = brake light works fine?

shadou
10-01-2010, 03:52 PM
brake light works when ever you depress the pedal, switch activated.

chowdaa
10-01-2010, 11:35 PM
possibility, when your car is off, there is no brake assist from the booster, so you are limited to how much you are depressing the pedal, activating the switch. If you are concerned, adjust the brake light switch if possible/desired.

Chriskoss
11-01-2010, 07:40 AM
try checking the wiring, possibly because when your car is off, no active current is going through so the switch may have trouble turning on, but when car is on it will
Just a thought, you could have loose/corroded wiring, and check your bulbs for wear and tear
Could be a whole lot of other things though, hope you get it sorted

shadou
11-01-2010, 07:51 PM
what? It's a switch behind the pedal even if you have car turned off, and pumped the pedal 100 times you will still activate the switch, similar to the handbrake, no matter if you yank it up one notch it engages the switch even though the rear brakes are not engaged at all.
it's an electrical fault and an automotive electrician will assist you for a fee, but I see no harm in leaving it as long as it works fine during driving.

Troy
11-01-2010, 11:32 PM
Brake much when the car is off? :D

CB7_OWNER
11-01-2010, 11:45 PM
your brake pedal goes hard, and no longer goes down far enough to activate the brake lights.

Troy
11-01-2010, 11:46 PM
Nah, it should come on pretty much straight away when you touch it. All cars I've owned, the lights come on as soon as you feel the pedal start to travel, I'm talking like 1-2cm. So basically you should be able to get the brake lights on without any braking at all.

Chriskoss
12-01-2010, 01:14 AM
As others have said, it will do no harm as long as its on while driving, unless you wanna look cool sittin in a car with the red lights on draining ur battery?

Giraffe
12-01-2010, 04:12 PM
well the brake light pretty much has to work when ever.
it is standard the when the cars off the brake lights still work.

like what if your car stalled on the main road, and you need brake lights. :/
gotta consider or the outcomes.

Troy
12-01-2010, 07:37 PM
Also just had another thought, that very first part of pedal travel when the lights come on is also when the cruise control will switch off if you are using it.