PDA

View Full Version : Headunit Problems

xclusive_eg8
10-01-2010, 10:39 PM
ok guys, the car is a 1995 Honda civic sedan, the head unit was working till i decided to install a preamp, getting power off the head unit circuit. But while stripping back the wires i accidentally shorted.

So far i have checked for continuity:

-ground connection is ok
-positive is good until final connection on fuse box (tested continuity from fuse box connection to both sides of all fuses but no continuity at all)
- Fuses are all fine

I have come to think that maybe a connection is blown inside the fuse box, although it seems really odd that this would happen. I am only receiving approx 2.13V at the head unit, and hardly any current.

* the car starts and runs fine, only problem is no head unit

anything else I should check??

fusionprelude
10-01-2010, 11:40 PM
does ur interior light work or your cig lighter still or did they go aswell.. where bouts u located at

chowdaa
10-01-2010, 11:55 PM
Test light is your friend.
2.13v is unusual. Are your inputs original wires and not tapped into an unrelated component wire?
You mention continuity, is there power on both poles of each and every fuse in both junc. box (dash and enginebay)?
last resort, replace radio and back-up fuse, possible damaged, but not blown bridge.
The fuses protect the component and wires, somewhat unlikely wire would burn before the fuse blows. But there is a first for everything.
Report back with findings

xclusive_eg8
15-01-2010, 09:36 AM
Found the problem...

The fuse in the engine bay fuse box labeled backup was blown, thus no power to internal radio/lighter circuit. But I really really belived that a fuse would blow in internal fuse box.

But I was mistaken. Moral of the story is check everything before coming to conclusions