PDA

View Full Version : JDM K20A - whats stopping me using it in Australia

yellowle
10-01-2010, 10:48 PM
Hi guys
I am new to the Ozhonda forum so forgive me if I am asking a stupid question.
I am importing a JDM K20A and I never considered if it complies with ADR emissions etc
I presume it does.
If my conversion needs to go to a VASS engineer (I am in Melbourne) - they will ask no doubt. I think it helps if other cars with the same engine has been approved for use in Australia and I think the JDM CTR EP3 was.

I take it that there are a number of K20A's installed in Australia.

Do you know a link where it shown emission data for the K20A?

cheers

aero
10-01-2010, 11:09 PM
i dont think u'll have a problem with the emissions etc.
what year is the engine? and what year chasis is the car ur putting it in?
u'll run into some problems if ur chasis is newer than the engine... but im assuming u have an older civic?

MWAKU
11-01-2010, 04:46 PM
i think it becomes an emissions problem when the engine is older then the car

dougie_504
11-01-2010, 08:03 PM
I have a mate running a JDM K20A in a '89 Gen CRX

I think it's the same as above - provided the engine produces less emissions than the original engine it should be fine :)

yellowle
11-01-2010, 08:35 PM
I am putting into a 2000 chassis. The original engine was 1.8litre. I don't know if I will need a VASS cert. Possibly so.

Red_EG4
11-01-2010, 09:06 PM
ring your engineer and ask.
ring VicRoads and ask.

EGB18CT
11-01-2010, 09:16 PM
some engineers will be picky and will want to rip you a new one and try make you prove that the engine from jap has less or the same emissions as in Aus. If so, find another engineer, USA/JAP have tighter emissions than us here so it's all good.

I know a few people use the engineer - Rowan @ Cartech in Richmond, he should be familiar with honda swaps and knows what he's on about otherwise ring around and ask engineers on the list of whats required.

EGB18CT
11-01-2010, 09:17 PM
oh if anything, don't mention its a jap motor unless they know and ask... saves some hassles if they are picky.