PDA

View Full Version : FD1 Muffler

vlixcool
11-01-2010, 11:05 AM
thinking to change muffler on my fd1.. anyone know if hi-tech muffler good? any feed back on their job?

eNGee
11-01-2010, 11:33 AM
thinking to change muffler on my fd1.. anyone know if hi-tech muffler good? any feed back on their job?

Refer to the link below:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85892

Enjoy!

PS: Next time do a Search/Advanced Search... you're more than likely that you'll find what ya after ^.^

vlixcool
11-01-2010, 11:48 AM
Refer to the link below:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85892

Enjoy!

PS: Next time do a Search/Advanced Search... you're more than likely that you'll find what ya after ^.^

that's not answering my question lol... i just want to know whether anyone in ozhonda have any experienced with HiTech muffler

http://www.hitechmufflers.com.au/home.php

saw them on magazine and seems to be pretty good.

DC5.Raven
11-01-2010, 11:52 AM
Had Hi-Tech Mufflers fabricate an exhaust for my previous car.
It was 'ok'.
Lost abit of low-end power though.
Generally I'm not the biggest fan of custom-made exhaust.

If you're looking for decent power gains, custom isn't the best way to go.
'Branded-off the shelf' exhausts will probably be better.
These will cost you significantly more but essentially you are paying for the R&D, testing and tuning that is involved.
And in most cases they will give you 'some' gains.
I think theyre worth the extra money.

If you just want an exhaust for just the sound then go for it.
But keep in mind that the FD1 is only a 1.8L.
I wouldnt go for large piping as you'll lose alot of bottom end power.
The most you should go with is 2.25.

DC5.Raven
11-01-2010, 11:56 AM
Forgot to mention.
They fabricated a cat-back exhaust for me about 3-4 years ago.
And they charged my around 350ish.

vlixcool
11-01-2010, 12:12 PM
Thanks for your brief explanation Raven, hmm i see i thought custom can give you more power since they also can check the engine size, ecu setting piping diameter.

Do you know how much the price we are looking roughly? if i go for custom and do you think its worth the trouble since i ned to drop my car and etc etc. The aftermarket one of the shelf its going its going to cost me roughly around $600 and its pretty much bolt on kit so i can do it my self.

And thanks for the infos on 2.25 piping :)

DC5.Raven
11-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Nah I doubt they would check ecu setting, or even engine size.
Or atleast they didnt with me.
Not sure if Hi-Tech mufflers have much experience with Hondas.
I know they have 'tested' catbacks (i.e. dyno'd etc etc) for Suabrus and Nissans.
But then again its easier to get gains from an exhaust from a turbo engine.

I reckon to have a cat-back fabricated from scratch should cost you around 400ish (stainless steel, press-bent, resonator, muffler, flanges and hangers).
Not 100% though.
Only had two experiences with custom made exhausts.
After that I stuck with off-the-shelf reputable-branded exhausts.

IMO the biggest problem with customised exhausts is that you dont know what you are going to get until they have fabricated it.
The best you can do is ask for something (e.g. smaller piping to increase lower end power).
But at the end of the day, all you can do is hope that you got what you paid and asked for.
Most places don't test or tune their custom exhausts with dyno runs etc,
because this would be very time consuming and costly.

But then again, this is why you pay more for a reputable exhaust. The testing is already done. Most have dyno graphs to show you what the exhaust will do for you in terms of performance.

Personally, I would only stick with reputable-branded off-the-shelf exhausts myself.
They would also be easier to sell, if you decide to later on.
And you can install it yourself (with a few stands, tools and an hour of your time).

If your only after an exhaust for the sound then custom should be fine for you as it will cost you less.
But if you want 'some' gains then go for something decent.

vlixcool
11-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Forgot to mention.
They fabricated a cat-back exhaust for me about 3-4 years ago.
And they charged my around 350ish.

wow that's cheap.. thanks for the info mate will see how its go :)

hondar
11-01-2010, 12:45 PM
Thanks for your brief explanation Raven, hmm i see i thought custom can give you more power since they also can check the engine size, ecu setting piping diameter.

Do you know how much the price we are looking roughly? if i go for custom and do you think its worth the trouble since i ned to drop my car and etc etc. The aftermarket one of the shelf its going its going to cost me roughly around $600 and its pretty much bolt on kit so i can do it my self.

And thanks for the infos on 2.25 piping :)

depend who custom made them?

it is like saying if it is cooked by a chef, it must be good.

well it depends who is the chef? there are a lot of so called "non-chef" who can cooked better than the chef

not dishing australian made goods but we are behind in terms of crafmanship. if you want really good one, you need to pay more.

we dont have the volume to make high quality and affordable system yet.

hence all exhaust shop here is "custom made". we made as the vehicle come. there is no "off the shelves" exhaust anymore as there is no volume for it

in japan, they can make it cheaper becos they have the volume to sell. so thats why you get high quality and affordable exhaust.

i always lean on buying jdm parts just because it always has better resale value.

if you put a sale thread: hi-tech muffler vs j's racing or mugen muffler for sale. which one create more interest?

i am sure there is good muffler shop here but as mentioned, the good one cost a lot more. you get what you pay for. they are not going to spend more than what you pay for.

remember this shop run a business. they need to pay rent, wages, and earn a living. they wont be doing 10 hour job on 2hour pay.

vlixcool
11-01-2010, 01:13 PM
depend who custom made them?

it is like saying if it is cooked by a chef, it must be good.

well it depends who is the chef? there are a lot of so called "non-chef" who can cooked better than the chef

not dishing australian made goods but we are behind in terms of crafmanship. if you want really good one, you need to pay more.

we dont have the volume to make high quality and affordable system yet.

hence all exhaust shop here is "custom made". we made as the vehicle come. there is no "off the shelves" exhaust anymore as there is no volume for it

in japan, they can make it cheaper becos they have the volume to sell. so thats why you get high quality and affordable exhaust.

i always lean on buying jdm parts just because it always has better resale value.

if you put a sale thread: hi-tech muffler vs j's racing or mugen muffler for sale. which one create more interest?

i am sure there is good muffler shop here but as mentioned, the good one cost a lot more. you get what you pay for. they are not going to spend more than what you pay for.

remember this shop run a business. they need to pay rent, wages, and earn a living. they wont be doing 10 hour job on 2hour pay.

fair enough.. thanks for the explanation Leo, talking about chef you make me hungry now lol.. i wish you can carry more brand such as kakimotor and greedy tic really interested in those muffler.. let me think about js racing again :)

hondar
11-01-2010, 01:29 PM
fair enough.. thanks for the explanation Leo, talking about chef you make me hungry now lol.. i wish you can carry more brand such as kakimotor and greedy tic really interested in those muffler.. let me think about js racing again :)

yeah at the end of the day. i dont have the volume to bring them in.

i can access most if not all japanese brand. but to bring just one. the cost of shipping cannot be spread out

note: greddy went bust so we dont deal with them anymore

at the end of the day market dictates. affordable is the key word now.

being distributor of js racing, i can push the price down.

hondar
11-01-2010, 01:35 PM
there is tanabe muffler option too if you want.

Waternmo
12-01-2010, 12:50 AM
anyone with FD1 has the tanabe axel back fitted? wanna see how it sits and how it sounds too!

vlixcool
12-01-2010, 01:06 AM
anyone with FD1 has the tanabe axel back fitted? wanna see how it sits and how it sounds too!

Saw couple video of tanabes from YouTube I thin they sound more heavier than js racing