PDA

View Full Version : Single carby to Dual carby?

Enigma
30-11-2004, 09:19 PM
i was just wondering wat difficulties i would be encountering if i tried to convert my breeze 1.3 single carby to a D15B4 motor with a Dual carb. Can anyone help?

cheers

mytoycivic
30-11-2004, 11:25 PM
is that the one out of the ED civic? or out of the later EG twin carby? it would be illegal to put the ED twin carb in your car as it is an older engine.
and if so, why do that when you can go something simple, but EFI with a D16a8??? probably wouldnt cost much more...and is a much better engine

karbonphyber
01-12-2004, 09:51 AM
i'm using a D15B4 currently with Dual carb.

mytoy is right, why jump 1.3 to 1.5? aim high!

i heard in aus, the rules are, i'm allowed to go to a max of 2.3l from my 1.5l engine, issit correct?
Enigma, aim higher mate. lol i don't know why you want my bloody engine capacity. higher mate!
all the best!

the breeze is a single carb and i've seen one before.

you'll probably have to change your instrument cluster too because you don't have a tachometer in there and it's different, well might as well look good on the way mate.

Mr. Focus
01-12-2004, 10:12 AM
just on that, my mate just bought a CRX with a d15 dual carby and wants to transplant a b16a into it. he'll need new mounts for it yeah???

nedgeworth
01-12-2004, 10:20 AM
just on that, my mate just bought a CRX with a d15 dual carby and wants to transplant a b16a into it. he'll need new mounts for it yeah???

indeed he will :thumbsup:

Mr. Focus
01-12-2004, 10:36 AM
i thought so. seeing as you need mounts to transplant it even with a d16

Enigma
01-12-2004, 11:37 AM
well see the thing is ive got my EG3 1,3 singly carby at the moment and they head is blown. i dont got that much money on me only say about over a grand and i dont see my choices for me at the moment. i want a better engine but it looks like im just going to have to replace my old one. any suggestions would be good im in brisbane. i can save almost 2000 but yeah dont know wat to do.

Mr. Focus
01-12-2004, 12:16 PM
mate, go the d16a8 conversion. they aint too expensive. you can get a decent one for around $400-$800. cll some wreckers or search the trading post. i know of one thats going for $300 on crxaustralia.com

LAGOOT
01-12-2004, 12:43 PM
just on that, my mate just bought a CRX with a d15 dual carby and wants to transplant a b16a into it. he'll need new mounts for it yeah???yeah and also with the carby going to an efi engine a whole new fuels system will need to be done as well..

Enigma
01-12-2004, 02:01 PM
its jus tthe conversion costs are going to be through the roof, especially when i need the engineer certificate. like if i ddid the conversion how much u recon it would cost me? also if u see an offers or engines thats look like a good buy could u pm .

DualCarb
01-12-2004, 04:30 PM
Enigma, If you plan to build a street racer that can humiliate all and their auntie, go for higher like these guys say... If you are looking to add more power to your car for your own pleasure in having a more powerful car, not caring really about impressing anyone alse's ass, then go for the Dual Carb D15 motor.... like ive said before, those carbs are VERY tweakable, you can push up the motor's performance with some work to 130HP+... ive seen/done it myself... in a light car that works beautifully...

Yes, putting in a B16/B18 motor with fuel injection will be nice, BUT these guys are not telling you about all the hidden costs regarding changing from carb to FI... new harnesses, ECU etc.... in my opinion, if your car came carbed, keep it carbed, if it came FI, keep it FI... costs are saved... just look for the most powerful carbed motor that Honda made that will be a straight swap, no hassles.... in your case it would be the SOHC ZC Dual carb motor from the Honda Civic RTX (EG generation, therefore legal, many in japan) or the Honda Integra ZX, manufactured until 1996, therefore also legal... its a 1600 cc, pushing out 118HP just with bolt on's

mytoycivic
01-12-2004, 05:17 PM
i heard in aus, the rules are, i'm allowed to go to a max of 2.3l from my 1.5l engine, issit correct?

well you can do anything with your car, but once you go over 15% of the stock specified displacement of the original engine in the car, you will need an engineers certificate.

Enigma, i can understand that you are on a tight budget, so am i, but you will need an engineers certificate if you go to 1.5 twin carb, or 1.6 D16a8 EFI. my point is, that it will cost a little more in parts, like your ECU and fuel system, but believe me you will be a lot better off with the D16a8. the D15b4 is a great engine, i have had no problems with it, but to get the power for it these guys are talking about, you will need to invest some more money.

saying that, the money you will spend to get a D15b4 up to 130HP will probably be more than gettting a ZC/D16a8 in your car that already has 136HP (vouch???)

i have a carb in my car, a D15b4, and i am going D16a8 EFI. it will cost me $4000 for total conversion, and thats a blown figure.

trust me, its worth it ;)

hope this helps.

StOo
01-12-2004, 05:59 PM
its jus tthe conversion costs are going to be through the roof, especially when i need the engineer certificate. like if i ddid the conversion how much u recon it would cost me? also if u see an offers or engines thats look like a good buy could u pm .
I was quoted $1500 for a full D16 conversion including all conversion, upgrade and engineering costs.

DualCarb
01-12-2004, 07:53 PM
I was quoted $1500 for a full D16 conversion including all conversion, upgrade and engineering costs.

Everything? Like the engine, FI system, electronic fuel pump, new hosing, new tank, computer, harness and wiring installation for all gauges and features, sensors and meters and service of the new motor?

Do these guys actually make a profit?

mytoycivic
01-12-2004, 08:49 PM
i dont think that would include parts...too cheap

Enigma
02-12-2004, 01:37 PM
would it be better off for me to just simply replace the engine, like the truth is i just want my car up and running. better performance would be good but i recon i should probably just fix it and then sell it. save a little money and buy one with more power and more opportunities to increase its performance. $1500 budget. if anyone knows anyone in brisbane that can help or an engine that will fit tell me.

is there acctually alot involved in the conversion to a dual carby? my mechanic said 400 to change the same engine how much more work would he have to do for a conversion such as the D15B. and wat would enginnering cost be?

DualCarb
02-12-2004, 05:13 PM
Its a straight drop in....

Enigma
02-12-2004, 05:46 PM
would i need any news hosing or mounts to change to a dual carby at all?

mytoycivic
02-12-2004, 06:05 PM
i am not sure about the mounts, but you have to make sure the engine you get is out of the later model twin carby...which may cost as much as a 92 Si engine (DOHC 1.6L)
hmmm

Enigma
02-12-2004, 08:47 PM
why dual carby engines were made for the EG series that would fit my EG3?

Enigma
02-12-2004, 08:48 PM
i mean which dual carby engines were made for the EG series , that would fit my EG3. does anyone know about the mounts? and the hoses?

StOo
02-12-2004, 11:44 PM
That price was for everything - all parts + all work + all compliancing. They were getting the engine for near free, so I don't think they'd offer that deal to me anymore :p Was at Ares Speed. They're friends of the family.

Unless you're doing breathing mods, wouldn't you be better off with the D15B? It'd cost more to put in and get working, but my friend told me it's a nice engine for the Breeze. You need a lot of bits and pieces for the conversion tho, so I'd probably give it a pass unless you got all the required parts to go from carby to EFI. That was the advice the same friend gave me... He quoted me $3500 incl. all parts, work and compliancing to drop a b16a in my car provided he could find an engine in Japan for me. I didn't go ahead with it cause I don't really plan on keeping my car for many more years.

I'm fairly sure all dual carbies from EGs would fit into other EGs... if that's what you mean. They'd have the same engine mounts... just different carbs (i think).

Enigma
03-12-2004, 10:56 AM
so you recon that the best choice would be find a decent EG D15B dual carby engine for my breeze and fit that straight in? just a simple out with the old in with the new? no new mounts and no new hoses. the dual carby system would come with the engine right?

karbonphyber
03-12-2004, 11:57 AM
the dual carb thingy will come with the engine. after all it's considered a part of it.
i own an eg4, just a level above. running with a D15B4 engine, i love it.
i reckon i saw a bloke selling a D15B4 somewhere in this forum, keep your eyes peeled for it.
all the best =o)
check all hidden costs.

Enigma
03-12-2004, 12:12 PM
ive beeen offered that B15B4 engines but i really want to know wat are the hidden costs. if there are any.

karbonphyber
03-12-2004, 12:28 PM
i wouldn't know what's really in an EG3. just saw the engine bay and saw that big single carb thing.

in my eg4 with the D15B4, it's pretty packed.
engine is basically just the engine with twin carbs there.

mytoycivic
03-12-2004, 04:19 PM
look Enigma, its best you talk to Charlie at Good performance about the hidden costs (thats if you are in sydney) . he will tell youi everything. dont let him talk you into any other engine or anything
just say 'charlie, what will it cost me to put this engine in my car' and thats it ;) good luck mate

DualCarb
03-12-2004, 06:22 PM
the EG also came with the SOHC ZC dual carb motor in the Honda Civic Ferio RTX... its a 1600 motor, pushing 118HP... much more than the D15B4, and is also a straight drop in...

Enigma
04-12-2004, 02:46 PM
4th Gen ED Civic GL
Released: 12/87-1992
Engine code: D15B4
Engine location: Front
Engine orientation: Transverse
Capacity (cm3): 1493cc
Fuel system type: Dual Carb
Maximum power: 74kW @ 6300rpm
Maximum torque: 126Nm @ 4500rpm
Compression ratio 9.2:1

im just wondering how u said that this engine would fit straight into my bay. but its an ED civic the old model civic. and mine is an EG the mod after. are the mounts identical?

Eclipsor
04-12-2004, 03:35 PM
I have an eg4 94 civic breeze. It has a dual carb d15z2 engine. Not quite sure what the differences between this and the one you are talking about are or whether this engine may be another option for you. Probably not as common as the d15b4 anyway. Just letting you know.

I'm not really looking to swap atm so my engine isn't available but I'm in brisbane. I'd be happy to take you for a drive if you want to see how the dual carb goes.

Enigma
04-12-2004, 04:48 PM
thats for the offer i might consider that. just wondering in regards to ur cluster, have u got any pics of it. does it have rpm meter on it?

karbonphyber
04-12-2004, 10:16 PM
Z2? how rare is that?

what's the performance ratings on that?
Eclipsor. whereabouts are you?

Enigma, yes, it has a Tachometer. erm..... just email me at karbonphyber@gmail.com , i'll send u a picture of my cluster.

cheers mate

Enigma
05-12-2004, 09:14 AM
millenium_bass@hotmail.com, if anyone finds a cluster or engine for me please pm me please. im sort of tired of driving around my straight 3. suzuki alto its awosome on fuel but dam its a bitch on hills and speed.