PDA

View Full Version : piping size?

quangsuke
11-01-2010, 12:56 PM
does it matter how big i get the cooler piping?
eg. 2.25" and 3"
or would this all depend on the size of the turbo im running?

ZeForce
11-01-2010, 02:07 PM
http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/showArticle.asp?ArticleID=843

B16
12-01-2010, 08:08 AM
:thumbsup: Thanks for sharing a great link, saved us writing that all out!

I'm currently running 2" as that was the outlet on my Turbo and in/out on my intercooler. However will be upgrading some point down the track to 2.25" Turbo>Intercooler 2.5" intercooler>TB

Limbo
12-01-2010, 11:57 AM
only thing to worry about is the bigger the piping the more lag you may have.

I've got mine stup to be from turbo 2" to 2 1/4" to 2 1/2" all the way to throttlebody

Punisha00
12-01-2010, 05:10 PM
just a quick question i have, i have notice people run a smaller pipe from the turbo to the intercooler then a larger from intercooler to TB. being that the air from the turbo to the intercooler is hotter(less dense) and the air after the intercooler being cooler(more dense) wouldnt it be better to run it opposite to what you's are saying.
As the air becomes cooler on the other sized of the intercooler its going to take up less space in the piping its going to increase pressure drop and lag. any thoughts on thiss or am i looking to much into it?

Riced_Civic
12-01-2010, 05:30 PM
i just run 2.5 both sides i pretty much get no lag

Lukezen27
14-01-2010, 07:47 PM
only thing to worry about is the bigger the piping the more lag you may have.

I've got mine stup to be from turbo 2" to 2 1/4" to 2 1/2" all the way to throttlebody

Hao's got it exactly how it should be :thumbsup:

And exactly what I'm running :)

He's making 170kw @ 10psi and I'm making 161kw @ 9psi both on unopened B16A's

Clearly that's the correct config

:thumbsup: Thanks for sharing a great link, saved us writing that all out!

I'm currently running 2" as that was the outlet on my Turbo and in/out on my intercooler. However will be upgrading some point down the track to 2.25" Turbo>Intercooler 2.5" intercooler>TB

13.2 now Matty boy :)

Time to get out there again and destroy that 13.7 of yours

Limo
15-01-2010, 01:10 AM
just a quick question i have, i have notice people run a smaller pipe from the turbo to the intercooler then a larger from intercooler to TB. being that the air from the turbo to the intercooler is hotter(less dense) and the air after the intercooler being cooler(more dense) wouldnt it be better to run it opposite to what you's are saying.
As the air becomes cooler on the other sized of the intercooler its going to take up less space in the piping its going to increase pressure drop and lag. any thoughts on thiss or am i looking to much into it?

i dont see many turbos with big compressor outlets.. usually ~2".

im running 3"-turbo-2.25 to 2.5-intercooler- 2.5 TB.. dont get alot of lag mind you my turbo to intercooler piping is about 10cms long:)

Punisha00
16-01-2010, 03:04 AM
i dont see many turbos with big compressor outlets.. usually ~2".

im running 3"-turbo-2.25 to 2.5-intercooler- 2.5 TB.. dont get alot of lag mind you my turbo to intercooler piping is about 10cms long:)

Dont get me wrong I'm not sayin anyone here is running the wrong setup, its just logical to think that if your trying to maintain pressure and minimize lag then you would run smaller piping after the intercooler or larger piping before it.

and as for the the compressor outlet there is reducers from 2" up to 3" in straight,45 and 90 degree bends, so my opinion would be if your setup had an intercooler with 3" in/out then run a 2.5"-3" (2.75") hot side and a 2.25"-2.75" (2.5") cool side, respectively. and if the intercooler was 2.5" in/out then reduce pipe size be .25"-.5".

I also understand that space is a huge factor in most setups, so maybe I'm thinking in a perfect world lol.