PDA

View Full Version : LED Strip - Opinion Needed

xxb4xx
11-01-2010, 04:18 PM
Hi Guys,

I really love the look of the new Audi's with the SMD / LED strip,

I have my whole car converted to LED, from parkers to blinkers to brake lights to all interior lights LOL

I wanna take that extra ricer step with the LED strip..

now where to put it?

I was thinking either in the headlight like the audi as a strip, or around the fog light assembly..

anyone else seen any good locations?

(I refuse to put them on the grill or somewhere completely stupid)

tron07
12-01-2010, 11:33 AM
lol... knight rider

[ IV 23 VI ]
12-01-2010, 02:16 PM
let the Accord Euro be a Accord Euro.. Its not a Audi

Only Audi can pull it off in the headlight!

If you plan on putting just a tiny 5 bar led strip molded into the front bar, like some other kits i have seen it look good as it has nothing to do with Audi's styling..

Just like altezza (clear) backlights.. came from the Altezza (IS200) then it was over killeed by every one and now even mazda put it on there cars.. wich looks old fashion now not even Lexus does it anymore..

same as BMW halo's they were over killed aswell.. I dont think BMW even does it any more..

Your car will look better as is, but if it tickles your fancy.. then go ahead..

xxb4xx
12-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Hmm good call.. The small little strip your describing is the one that I'm after.. It's basically replacing the fogs.. Either that or I might just bite the bullet and install hid foggies too

tony1234
12-01-2010, 05:31 PM
;2615119']let the Accord Euro be a Accord Euro.. Its not a Audi

Only Audi can pull it off in the headlight!

If you plan on putting just a tiny 5 bar led strip molded into the front bar, like some other kits i have seen it look good as it has nothing to do with Audi's styling..

Just like altezza (clear) backlights.. came from the Altezza (IS200) then it was over killeed by every one and now even mazda put it on there cars.. wich looks old fashion now not even Lexus does it anymore..

same as BMW halo's they were over killed aswell.. I dont think BMW even does it any more..

Your car will look better as is, but if it tickles your fancy.. then go ahead..
I agree.Maybe as you say just upgrade the fogs,not HIDs but something with a white HID like output.

denot
13-01-2010, 10:44 AM
I agree.Maybe as you say just upgrade the fogs,not HIDs but something with a white HID like output.

something like LED foglight? http://www.carhidkits.com/led-fog-lights-515/

npcan2
13-01-2010, 01:29 PM
I saw them on a Arctic Blue euro sometime last year and it looked SWEET!

I was surprised how tasteful it looked... I'd go 4 it man, im pretty picky and i thought it looked good!:thumbsup:

xxb4xx
13-01-2010, 01:35 PM
I had LED loggies in the Subaru.. like the actual globe changed inside... wasn't very bright at all..

tiksie
13-01-2010, 02:18 PM
I see you live in Sydney.

Since when will you need to use your fog lights anyway ?

xxb4xx
13-01-2010, 02:49 PM
I see you live in Sydney.

Since when will you need to use your fog lights anyway ?

Not about that champ,

I want them to be noticeable and white.. as in i'll use them as day driving lights etc.. fog lights in syd are pointless.

denot
13-01-2010, 03:20 PM
Not about that champ,

I want them to be noticeable and white.. as in i'll use them as day driving lights etc.. fog lights in syd are pointless.

I think for daily driving light, you dont need bright light... just use the leds should be ok... HID lights on daytime is a bit too much...

MR_LATE
14-01-2010, 12:58 AM
plz for the love of god dont put the 5 bar led on the euro.. and pls dont put it where the fog light manifold is... seen it done on acura zine and it ugly. sry to say.. just get led fog lights.. they look aggresive... thats what i got :D

denot
14-01-2010, 07:43 AM
plz for the love of god dont put the 5 bar led on the euro.. and pls dont put it where the fog light manifold is... seen it done on acura zine and it ugly. sry to say.. just get led fog lights.. they look aggresive... thats what i got :D

Show us Mr_LATE! :p

Simonnn
14-01-2010, 09:59 AM
Maybe something like this? :)

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/1188/drop38vb.jpg
http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/5599/drop123ik.jpg

Not my car btw, found it on acurazine. That mugen lip is hot! :eek:

[ IV 23 VI ]
14-01-2010, 10:01 AM
The OEM fogs look heaps better..

denot
14-01-2010, 10:51 AM
^^^ Agreed,I think it will look better if he use the OEM fog with led located here:
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/5599/drop123ik.jpg

xxb4xx
14-01-2010, 12:09 PM
those LED's there look awesome, pretty much the look I want!

Euro_CU2
14-01-2010, 01:59 PM
This is a nice look for the LED strip on CU2.

Will get this soon for mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMMGr4m8uFI&feature=related

leo
14-01-2010, 09:31 PM

that looks awesome, but will u void ur warranty on headlights?

furythree
15-01-2010, 01:31 AM

Noooo! u must do the 5 bar Led. just dont do it the same as AUDI. be original and put it at the top or something, so it looks like an eyelash.
Finally there are others who wanna do what ive been wanting to do for 9 months!

i even have the led strips bought and sitting in my car waiting for me to figure out how im gunna install it.

yeh thats the same car from the cu2 mods thread. its AWESOMEE!!!!!
i wish they wud post a tutorial.

theres also a video where they changed the 2 red reflector strips at teh bottom rear of the car into 2 red led brake lights. genius

you are getting it soon for yours? how? where? share!!!

Maybe something like this? :)

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/1188/drop38vb.jpg
http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/5599/drop123ik.jpg

Not my car btw, found it on acurazine. That mugen lip is hot! :eek:

that looks similar to the russian lip. less wider tho. i didnt noe the mugen kit had those holes? omg just asking to be lit up!

please let me know if you guys actually start doing mods like this. im really interested. lets collaborate!!

Euro_CU2
15-01-2010, 03:13 PM
Noooo! u must do the 5 bar Led. just dont do it the same as AUDI. be original and put it at the top or something, so it looks like an eyelash.
Finally there are others who wanna do what ive been wanting to do for 9 months!

i even have the led strips bought and sitting in my car waiting for me to figure out how im gunna install it.

yeh thats the same car from the cu2 mods thread. its AWESOMEE!!!!!
i wish they wud post a tutorial.

theres also a video where they changed the 2 red reflector strips at teh bottom rear of the car into 2 red led brake lights. genius

you are getting it soon for yours? how? where? share!!!

that looks similar to the russian lip. less wider tho. i didnt noe the mugen kit had those holes? omg just asking to be lit up!

please let me know if you guys actually start doing mods like this. im really interested. lets collaborate!!

Where did you get yours LED strips from?

furythree
15-01-2010, 05:14 PM
ebay/dealextreme

Sharma
15-01-2010, 06:44 PM
does anybody know what the standard brake light is on a CU2. Looking to replace it with some SMD/SMT LED's if they exist?

Edit- I found out that the CU2 uses T20 12V Wedge Bulb. So If I buy any 12v T20 led bulb it would be alright and wouldn't lead to my car catching on fire or wires melting?

slimx
15-01-2010, 07:05 PM
If your gonna do it go for the INSIDE HEADLIGHT look.

Oven your headlight, put the lil bulbs one by one, place it EQUALLY distant from each other.

Ive seen an RX8 with this, it had angel eyes and audi led's looked quite nice.

In accord euro other then EXTRA EXTRA powerful xenons i havent seen much but i reckon it'll look alright.

but yeh definately go for INSIDE HEADLIGHT.

[ IV 23 VI ]
16-01-2010, 12:38 AM
Ricer alert

felixd
16-01-2010, 01:47 AM
LED must be mounted inside the housing of the headlight to make it looks nice and legal .

furythree
16-01-2010, 09:45 PM
oh man just drive home next to some guy with a Loooooong LED red strip in his rear windscreen that acted as an extra brake light

then i passed him and realised in my rear view mirror that he also had lined the edges of his FRONT windscreen with white led strips too! it was basically a rolling torch. im sure thats illegal. and it was so blatant cause the white leds strips were so long and bright.

xxb4xx
17-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Yeah... See that's mega rice and I would be embarrassed even being a passenger in that car :)

furythree
17-01-2010, 02:22 PM
yeh but tasteful ones are not rice. otherwise every single audi would be considered rice.

i went to my mechanic friend today. he said he reccommends i get the LED slabs/blocks like 4*9 rectagular peices and put them in the place next to the fogs. he just has to cut some holes. slap on some 3m tape and wire it to the parkers and done. tasteful, subltle and cheap and easy.

iLlusion10
17-01-2010, 02:27 PM
yeh but tasteful ones are not rice. otherwise every single audi would be considered rice.

i went to my mechanic friend today. he said he reccommends i get the LED slabs/blocks like 4*9 rectagular peices and put them in the place next to the fogs. he just has to cut some holes. slap on some 3m tape and wire it to the parkers and done. tasteful, subltle and cheap and easy.

Their not rice because they come with the car and that's the "mark" of an Audi.

furythree
17-01-2010, 04:04 PM
lol i want to create my own mark

xxb4xx
17-01-2010, 07:09 PM
I'm with ya :)

I got an 04 euro.. I can't put them next to the foggies..

As a aide question is there an easy way to change the parkers apart from the wheel arch by removing the splash guard?

Rudy
17-01-2010, 07:30 PM
hmm ive seen a few of those LED strips stuck on before and none of them look any good. Get angel eyes man. DRL is too played out and looks obnoxious during the day when you're the only one with lights on (yes even on audis).

xxb4xx
18-01-2010, 04:03 PM
I love the angel eye look also.. I haven't physically played with the strip yet to see how it looks in person.. if it's ugly and bulky, its not going on

denot
18-01-2010, 04:20 PM
One thing that I dont understand is why ppl link the Daytime Running Lights to parker... that just beat the purpose. DRLs meant to be the only lights on during daytime (like in audi). I think if its not a DRL (or not serve its purpose), that just rice (same as putting led strips under your car)

just my 2 cents though...

oh and yeah Rudy, you wont be the only one with the lights on if you see audis, mercs and even HSV around :p

leo
18-01-2010, 05:21 PM
One thing that I dont understand is why ppl link the Daytime Running Lights to parker... that just beat the purpose. DRLs meant to be the only lights on during daytime (like in audi). I think if its not a DRL (or not serve its purpose), that just rice (same as putting led strips under your car)

just my 2 cents though...

oh and yeah Rudy, you wont be the only one with the lights on if you see audis, mercs and even HSV around :p

cos link with parker is the easiest job to get DRLs.

the purposes of getting drls are let people see ur car in day time, or just show off, so why care about the parker light are on or off?

furythree
18-01-2010, 10:45 PM
i see where ur coming from denot, but LEo is right, i asked my mechanic friend the easiest and best way to install DRLs and he said link it to parkers. even tho i just want it to show off, i still want them on during the day. but how else can you link it without making it messy.

oh btw would this void any warranty

leo
19-01-2010, 09:49 AM
i see where ur coming from denot, but LEo is right, i asked my mechanic friend the easiest and best way to install DRLs and he said link it to parkers. even tho i just want it to show off, i still want them on during the day. but how else can you link it without making it messy.

oh btw would this void any warranty

link to parkers wont void any warranty, just like i did on my car

but if put led inside the headlight, then it will void

hisoka
19-01-2010, 10:00 AM
lol... knight rider

mad lol

denot
19-01-2010, 10:14 AM
Leo n Fury, yes linking to the parker was the easiest... but I'm just saying, why turn on your front and rear parker light at day time, while audi, mercs, hsv etc doesnt need to?

I think if I want to install DRL (and I will, waiting for my friend to come back from indo with it) I will install it properly (with on off switch next to the VSA button)

Again, just my 2 cents :)

oh and link to parker wont avoid warranty, but when you have problem with car electronic stuff (even if you have problem with your speaker etc) they will try to make it sounds like the DRL cause the electronic problem (in fact, Honda dealer will try to blame faulty on all aftermarket parts installed on your car).

leo
19-01-2010, 09:34 PM
Leo n Fury, yes linking to the parker was the easiest... but I'm just saying, why turn on your front and rear parker light at day time, while audi, mercs, hsv etc doesnt need to?

I think if I want to install DRL (and I will, waiting for my friend to come back from indo with it) I will install it properly (with on off switch next to the VSA button)

Again, just my 2 cents :)

oh and link to parker wont avoid warranty, but when you have problem with car electronic stuff (even if you have problem with your speaker etc) they will try to make it sounds like the DRL cause the electronic problem (in fact, Honda dealer will try to blame faulty on all aftermarket parts installed on your car).

yes, audi, mercs, hsv etc dont need to cos ur pay much more price on those cars.

and you make a point that aginest urself denot, cos the warranty thing is the most issue that i worry about, as you said, even small electronic problem honda dealer will try to make it to blame faulty on aftermarket parts, so if any problem that cause faulty on my car, i just need to take off the wire that linked with parkers and take the car to dealer. they wont say anything.
howeven cos u did a lots of jobs on drls things, such as on off switch next to the VSA button ects, that means you give more chance to let dealer find excuse to void warranty on ur car. why u want more jobs to be done and more risk taken but come out with no big different result???

furythree
19-01-2010, 10:07 PM

ohh that sounds nice! tell us how ur gunna do it!. i too would prefer a switch, just that its difficult and sounds messy.

which kind of lights are you getting? show us some pics and stuff?

denot
20-01-2010, 08:43 AM
why u want more jobs to be done and more risk taken but come out with no big different result???

Because I dont want to look like a dumb dumb with my parker light and my red (rear) parker light on in the middle of daylight, and then ppl will flash me because they thought I forgot to turn them off... :)

like I sed, it just my 2 cents... no need to attack ppl opinion here Leo... Anyway, come here to give comments, not to debate. :)

And Furry, I havent got the pics coz the items still in Indo with my friend. I'll let you know if it looks good then I took pics, if not, then scrap the idea :)

furythree
20-01-2010, 05:19 PM
lol ok denot. why get them all the way from indo tho? im sure ebay or hk sellers will have them for similar if not cheaper prices? or are u getting super high quality DRL kits or something

also leo, where did you get ur DRLs from?

im just comparing. because the ones i got were really crap.

leo
20-01-2010, 10:45 PM
i got from ebay, u can check my post before, i posted with photos

denot
21-01-2010, 08:06 AM
i got from ebay, u can check my post before, i posted with photos

No matter how bad we are debating about this, I still reckon yours looks great! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

[ IV 23 VI ]
21-01-2010, 10:17 AM
You guys should add this to the CU2 mods thread,

hahaha lol :p

HunterZero
21-01-2010, 10:24 AM
If you have to have these daytime driving lights, then be prepared to be pulled over occasionally for a conversation with a cop who wants to fine you for running fog lights in clear conditions. You'll have to insist that they're not fog lights, they're daytime safety running lights. He'll insist they're fog lights...

You can be fined from $85 to $160 and lose 1 demerit point for having lights that the cop deems as 'fog lights' on during the day, depending on what state you're in. Eastern states are less tolerant.

Not to mention, fog lights annoy the h*ll out of most other drivers on the road.

- HZ

denot
21-01-2010, 10:29 AM
Not to mention, fog lights annoy the h*ll out of most other drivers on the road.

- HZ

I didnt see whay fog lights annoy other driver... as long as its installed correctly, the light should (or must) point downwards instead of to incoming traffic (forward).

I believe having foglights still better on a sedan/hatch, compare to a 4 WD with theirs "normal" 55W lights

HunterZero
21-01-2010, 11:23 AM
I didnt see whay fog lights annoy other driver...

They don't annoy me particularly - but if you have lights on the front of your car that are especially bright, even HIDs, trust me you will annoy other drivers, and you'll get flashed. I've been flashed a few times just for the HIDs on my car. LEDs can be very bright and piercing when viewed directly on.

The main complaint is that they are distracting.

as long as its installed correctly, the light should (or must) point downwards instead of to incoming traffic (forward).

The installation of fog lights doesn't factor into the legal situation. It's a general requirement that projector headlights on the front of a car point downwards. The definition of what a fog light is is vague, and there are no special regulations for how they are installed nor as to their required colour/brightness. The current law seems to be if you have lights deemed to be fog lights by a cop, which usually means any reasonably bright lights additional to your normal headlights, tail lights, signals and parkers, you cannot drive with them on in clear weather, no matter how cool they look. I'm sure you could go to court and argue an infringement, but to me it's certainly not worth the risk and hassle. The law says you can't have fog lights on in clear weather. My foggies stay off.

I believe having foglights still better on a sedan/hatch, compare to a 4 WD with theirs "normal" 55W lights

Don't disagree with that. It's especially annoying being tailgated by a 4WD with his standard headlights on. Thank goodness for auto rear vision mirrors... They're almost essential with all the trucks and 4WDs around.

- HZ

denot
21-01-2010, 11:33 AM
...Thank goodness for auto rear vision mirrors... They're almost essential with all the trucks and 4WDs around.

- HZ

Oh man... I envy you... mine is std so dont have it :(

HunterZero
21-01-2010, 12:01 PM
Oh man... I envy you... mine is std so dont have it :(

Do a search on here for those rear vision mirrors. They're from a third party manufacturer, you can buy them and have them fitted to a standard car.

- HZ

leo
22-01-2010, 11:55 PM
No matter how bad we are debating about this, I still reckon yours looks great! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

thx, remember to show us the photos of car.

furythree
01-02-2010, 08:55 PM
leo i cant find the ebay link u posted. i checked all 5 pages

also do you guys know what type of bulb our fogs and HIDs use? i know one of them is h11 but i forgot which is which.

also is it legal to have blue or blueish fogs (not headlights)
or blue DRLS? because i saw a dude with neons/drls inside his grill shining downwards to light up his FRONT number plate and it didnt affect anyones vision and it wasnt that bright. would that be legal? or is it illegal to have coloured plate lights as well

also i saw someone who did it via a cheap way. he stuck on a strip of blue highly reflective tape or something along his bumper. so when someones headlights shine on it, it glows/reflects blue, kinda like the lower bumper reflectors we have on the cu2

furythree
01-02-2010, 10:02 PM
oooohh would these work for us http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25521
seem to be t10 type. so insert into parker slot? lol

chunsa
02-02-2010, 08:56 AM
Saw these on the VW forums and looks like a better way to do DRL instead of using those LED strips.

http://www.tmtuning.com/HOME/catalog/product_detail.php?default_product=2450 (http://www.tmtuning.com/HOME/catalog/product_detail.php?default_product=2450)

furythree
04-02-2010, 09:37 PM
nobody knows the bulbs out fogs and hids use? :(

chunsa
04-02-2010, 10:25 PM
Fog light bulbs should be H11.

HID's on the Luxury model are D2S bulbs.