PDA

View Full Version : Can you lose power if you pod is too close to the engine?

spiller
30-11-2004, 10:05 PM
Hey guys i was just reading other posts about a power loss if your pod is too close the engine. Roughly how much power do you lose if it sucks in hot air from the engine?

Cheers :D

TypeG
30-11-2004, 11:12 PM
pod will actually lose power for street use

redliner
01-12-2004, 01:08 PM
for one your car will lag on accelaration, and its a 40 degree day... expect worse. Get a panal filter that fits into the stock box u'd prob get the same gain without the problem of suckin hot air in. Oh one more thing pods are defect.

spiller
01-12-2004, 02:32 PM
Okay, what if i extend the pipework to the front of the engine bay or even to the front bar? is it worth it or should i just put the stock air box back in? Which will gain better performance?

Hawk
01-12-2004, 09:07 PM
Hey guys i was just reading other posts about a power loss if your pod is too close the engine. Roughly how much power do you lose if it sucks in hot air from the engine?

Cheers :D
U want to suck colder air as it is denser. As for how much power u would lose ? For every 4 degrees u lower the air intake temp it is approx (very approx) a 1% power increase at the fly ....... so ........ if it is 40 outside and u r sucking engine bay air of 80 u r down approx (very approx) 10% in power.

Hope this helps a little.

FastAz

azjs
01-12-2004, 09:47 PM
pods - you'll enjoy induction noise, but when at operating temperature, say hello to heat soak! ie not good.

extension - yes it will "induct" cold air, but the length of the piping complementing the stock intake tube may also create a laggy throttle response. Some CAI manufacturers will go at lengths to research a tuned length/diameter intake of varying designs to combat this, and some quite well too.

-az

Blew_lude
01-12-2004, 10:13 PM
the weather makes my car laggy!
it dont matter if its pod stock k and N hks if its hot
its slow

redliner
02-12-2004, 11:28 AM
turn the aircon off :)
that makes the car lags even worse

elude
08-12-2004, 10:43 PM
yea i wouldnt suggest a pod for a 3rd gen lude, i put one expecting increase and cause it looked and sounded nice; there is just no where in the bay to place the pod where it can suck cold air. moving the battery is the only the place for colder air, but it will lag. its amazing the power difference on cold days as opposed to hot days!

civiceg9
09-12-2004, 12:22 AM
The boss of Spoon Honda suggest for road use we should just use a panel filter.
I have a cold air pipe going into my stock box. Keeps my engine noise down.

Sp3rMz
09-12-2004, 02:39 AM
Oh one more thing pods are defect.
Technically no. Pods sitting by it self is a defect. If you have a proper heat shield for the pod filter then no it is not a defect. You can get head shields for them basically any where. As for me i wouldnt pay for a heat sheild. I got custom one made up.

redliner
09-12-2004, 11:03 AM
yeah how many peaple actually puts a heat shield on coz its just not worth the trouble... another word is ur jus boxing in the pod... thats like panel filter already :)

hmmmmmz i didnt know they were legal once u put a heat shield on...
coz i was reading on some other forum tha mentioned about diff state has diff laws, so it doesnt mean coz u have heat shield its defect proof?

Ozwolfbane
09-12-2004, 12:30 PM
what about a proper cold air intake like this :
http://www.deepstaged.net/aemprelude.htm
That wont loose power right even in street use ?

vtc
09-12-2004, 12:41 PM
Ozwolfbane... thats the best instructional site i hvae seen.... they clear instructions and clear pictures... the only bad thing is that dont explain what the product does for the car but its all good. Thanks for that!

toE
10-12-2004, 01:38 AM
yeah how many peaple actually puts a heat shield on coz its just not worth the trouble... another word is ur jus boxing in the pod... thats like panel filter already :)

hmmmmmz i didnt know they were legal once u put a heat shield on...
coz i was reading on some other forum tha mentioned about diff state has diff laws, so it doesnt mean coz u have heat shield its defect proof?
those who do not wish to get in much trouble with authorities will do it. ;)

Sp3rMz
10-12-2004, 01:45 AM
My pod is full on cover.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~sp3rmi3zzz/mypic19.jpg

Ozwolfbane
11-12-2004, 01:56 AM
Ozwolfbane... thats the best instructional site i hvae seen.... they clear instructions and clear pictures... the only bad thing is that dont explain what the product does for the car but its all good. Thanks for that!
yeh best ...all u need to know to install one in yourself ;) Should be stickied or something...found it while no one was giving me a clear answer ;)
Still doesnt answer my question though does a proper cold air intake like that still loose power in strreet use ? i would think not :confused:

mbilic
12-12-2004, 03:05 PM
yes u will loose power if ur pods 2 close 2 engine coz it'll suck in hot air... if u have piping from the front of the car up 2 the pod with a metal partition around it, it should b sucking in cold air....a bit of mucking around tho

Ozwolfbane
13-12-2004, 03:22 AM
man this forum is dead !

toE
14-12-2004, 02:06 AM
My answer to your question is yes and no.

Yes.
If the pod is exposed. Obviously to the heat that an engine bay produces. In order for a cold air intake to really function, it needs cool or cold air, hence "Cold Air Intake".

No.
If the pod is enclosed to allow the most amount of cool/cold air to flow into the filter. That is why it is common to see some people direct a tube from an opening in the front bumper to the closest point of the pod which is enclosed or shielded (either by plastic, carbonfiber, metal, etc.)

With that said, please note that I write this from reading from other sites and forums, hearing about it from friends. I have yet to see some technically proven data to support my findings. (I didn't bother searching for one! :p)

It's really common sense. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure this one out. The colder the air, the better the function of the CAI/pod/filter.

my 1.15c

Sp3rMz
14-12-2004, 02:22 AM
From my car with or without the heat shield there is no power or accelartion difference that is noticeable. This result may alter with what car or what pod you use. In general there isnt noticeable difference. Although in theory hot air should feel bit more sluggish on the accelatrion.

chewy
14-01-2005, 09:46 PM
if you look in your 3rd gen air box you'll find you already have a pod

racinghonda
23-02-2005, 07:07 PM
if you look in your 3rd gen air box you'll find you already have a pod

I would just spend about $20 and make yourself up a custom CAI for the 3rd gen. That's what I did, I kept the stock airbox, put a K & N replacement filter in it and replaced the drinking straw stock intake pipes to a 3" intake.

http://www.racinghonda.com/pictures/customCAI/DSCF3328.jpg

As you can see from this pic, my CAI gets cool air from just behind the front bar. The other plus is that the bigger diametre seems to have increase top end performance slightly.

I thought about a short ram intake pod but that would just lose me power, becomes a HAI not a CAI

qup70c
24-02-2005, 10:09 AM
Do comptech make an icebox setup for the lude? if they do i'd suggest one of those, combo of both short ram and cold air intake :thumbsup:

spiller
24-02-2005, 12:00 PM
racinghonda: how far down does the end of your piping extend. I had a look inside my engine bay yesterday and there are a few hoses that would preventing from ging deep down? Also, where did you buy you piping from?

BTW; are your headers wrapped in that pic or have you just taken the heat shield off them?

LAGOOT
24-02-2005, 01:03 PM
ive got a DC2R ive got a TRUST drop in filter in my standard airbox and cold air intake tubing leading just behind my front bumper..

racinghonda
25-02-2005, 10:13 AM
racinghonda: how far down does the end of your piping extend. I had a look inside my engine bay yesterday and there are a few hoses that would preventing from ging deep down? Also, where did you buy you piping from?

BTW; are your headers wrapped in that pic or have you just taken the heat shield off them?

Have a look at this pic here. It goes all the way down to the front subframe then turns right to make sure it doesn't get air from the radiator. I had to move a wiring loom out of the way and reattach them somewhere else.

http://www.racinghonda.com/pictures/customCAI/DSCF3330.jpg

I got the PVC pipe from Bunnings, then ceramic thermal paint from SuperCheap Auto. Used the whole can of paint to make sure the pipe was insulated.

My headers look the way they do because they aren't the stock headers, those are extractors. Stock 3rd gen have cast iron one piece header, I fitted piped headers.