PDA

View Full Version : Headlights

Xpire
12-01-2010, 12:44 AM
Hey guys,

Sorry if this has been asked a million times but I can't seem to find the answer to it on the forums.. :(

I read somewhere that Phillips CrystalVision/DiamonVision are illegal in Victoria, so I decided to buy a pair of Phillips BlueVision for my FD2 and I was wondering whether they're legal in Victoria?

If not, then which globes ARE legal in Victoria?

Cheers!

DC5.Raven
12-01-2010, 01:04 AM
Hey guys,

Sorry if this has been asked a million times but I can't seem to find the answer to it on the forums.. :(

I read somewhere that Phillips CrystalVision/DiamonVision are illegal in Victoria, so I decided to buy a pair of Phillips BlueVision for my FD2 and I was wondering whether they're legal in Victoria?

Cheers!

You're right in saying that Philips Crystal and Diamond Vision are illegal. Both of these are not ADR approved.
Philips Blue Vision IS ADR approved. Therefore legal.

Xpire
12-01-2010, 01:09 AM
You're right in saying that Philips Crystal and Diamond Vision are illegal. Both of these are not ADR approved.
Philips Blue Vision IS ADR approved. Therefore legal.

Sweet!

HID's are definitely illegal on my FD2 right? I spent a lot of time researching up HIDs and then realised they could possibly be illegal, wasted all that time. =\

DC5.Raven
12-01-2010, 01:26 AM
AFAIK, aftermarket HIDs are illegal in Australia.
Theyre only legal if the car came with HIDS from the factory (E.g. the Accord Euro).
I think its got something to do with the auto-leveling and blinding other drivers.

Xpire
12-01-2010, 01:59 AM
AFAIK, aftermarket HIDs are illegal in Australia.
Theyre only legal if the car came with HIDS from the factory (E.g. the Accord Euro).
I think its got something to do with the auto-leveling and blinding other drivers.

Yeap, exactly what I read...Oh well :(

Would the Osram Night Breaker be legal for my fog lights in Victoria?
http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_detail.asp?prod=113

NightKids
12-01-2010, 12:18 PM
You should be running the Osram NightBreakers/Philips XTremes for your main headlights and not the BlueVision. Blue Vision is not a very good bulb for vision. Powerbulbs are great to deal with and you can pick up these 2 bulbs for a pretty cheap price.

Your foglights should be running a selective yellow bulb if you wanna actually use it for fog. If your after bling then anything should do, but it's not gonna be very useful when you do need it for fog.

Xpire
12-01-2010, 02:04 PM
You should be running the Osram NightBreakers/Philips XTremes for your main headlights and not the BlueVision. Blue Vision is not a very good bulb for vision. Powerbulbs are great to deal with and you can pick up these 2 bulbs for a pretty cheap price.

Your foglights should be running a selective yellow bulb if you wanna actually use it for fog. If your after bling then anything should do, but it's not gonna be very useful when you do need it for fog.

Thanks for the info!

I wasn't able to find any other bulbs for my main headlights (HB4 9006) other than the BlueVision and the Phillips Premium on Powerbulbs, that's why I went with the BlueVision instead.

I just saw your post a minute after I put my order through for the BlueVision :(

As for the foglights, Powerbulbs only seem to stock the Osram Night Breaker and the Phillips Longer Life for my foglight type (H11).

Is the Phillips Longer Life a better choice?

Cheers!

Giraffe
12-01-2010, 04:03 PM
but whats the chances of being pulled over and them checking your bulbs :/

but as previously posted. if the car came stock with factory hid, does that mean a dc2 that had a jdm conversion with 98 spec hid. is legal or illegal ?

DC5.Raven
12-01-2010, 06:00 PM
but whats the chances of being pulled over and them checking your bulbs :/

but as previously posted. if the car came stock with factory hid, does that mean a dc2 that had a jdm conversion with 98 spec hid. is legal or illegal ?

When I said 'factory' I meant AUDM.

Still illegal. JDM DC2R was never released in Australia.

Look at the EP3Rs. Those who are importing these in have to revert back to halogen lighting to be complied in Australia.

NightKids
12-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the info!

I wasn't able to find any other bulbs for my main headlights (HB4 9006) other than the BlueVision and the Phillips Premium on Powerbulbs, that's why I went with the BlueVision instead.

I just saw your post a minute after I put my order through for the BlueVision :(

As for the foglights, Powerbulbs only seem to stock the Osram Night Breaker and the Phillips Longer Life for my foglight type (H11).

Is the Phillips Longer Life a better choice?

Cheers!

One of our original ozhonda traders actually have the 9006 in Philips Xtreme on sale on ebay (too late now since you placed the order already):-

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PHILIPS-X-treme-80-BRIGHTER-LIGHT-BULBS-9006-HB4-NEW_W0QQitemZ270501803282QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car _Parts_Accessories?hash=item3efb29f512

H11 foggies i'm actually running PIAA Plasma Ion Yellows myself (they aren't cheap, bought mine for nearly $70) they are pretty mad. Found them real useful going up Dandy mountains when it was foggy. Cheaper alternative would be the Nokya Hyper Yellows. A lot of Honda guys use it in the US and found them pretty good. May not get as much life from them though.. they only cost $30.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOKYA-H11-HYPER-YELLOW-2500K-JDM-FOG-LIGHT-BULBS-NEW-NR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5638a0e3b1QQitemZ370 317255601QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAcces sories

If your not too fussed about yellow then the Osram Nightbreakers would be pretty good to use as foglights. Bear in mind that they actually have a tinge of blue that makes them 10% whiter which means it won't be as good for fog. Out of the Philips long life or Nightbreakers, definately get the Nightbreakers.

Hope this has helped you.

Lukey
12-01-2010, 10:47 PM

accord euros still blind lol

Xpire
12-01-2010, 11:47 PM
One of our original ozhonda traders actually have the 9006 in Philips Xtreme on sale on ebay (too late now since you placed the order already):-

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PHILIPS-X-treme-80-BRIGHTER-LIGHT-BULBS-9006-HB4-NEW_W0QQitemZ270501803282QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car _Parts_Accessories?hash=item3efb29f512

H11 foggies i'm actually running PIAA Plasma Ion Yellows myself (they aren't cheap, bought mine for nearly $70) they are pretty mad. Found them real useful going up Dandy mountains when it was foggy. Cheaper alternative would be the Nokya Hyper Yellows. A lot of Honda guys use it in the US and found them pretty good. May not get as much life from them though.. they only cost $30.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOKYA-H11-HYPER-YELLOW-2500K-JDM-FOG-LIGHT-BULBS-NEW-NR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5638a0e3b1QQitemZ370 317255601QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAcces sories

If your not too fussed about yellow then the Osram Nightbreakers would be pretty good to use as foglights. Bear in mind that they actually have a tinge of blue that makes them 10% whiter which means it won't be as good for fog. Out of the Philips long life or Nightbreakers, definately get the Nightbreakers.

Hope this has helped you.

Aww damn I wish I wasn't in such a rush to buy the BlueVisions :(

I can't really see myself driving in heavy fog, and the only reason why I looked into replacing my foglights was because I thought it'd look a bit funny with White headlights and Yellow foglights, but now that I think about it...it ain't too bad.

Thanks for all your info!

dahondr98
13-01-2010, 12:21 AM

According to Hella, using either yellow bulbs, or yellow glass in foglights results in less efficient foglights, because the yellow filter absorbs about 20% of the light. Although the perception is that yellow foglights are easier on the eyes, it’s only a perception, according to Hella, and you’re better off with the brighter light from clear bulbs or lights, compared to less efficient yellow ones. The reason that yellow ones seem kinder on the eyes is that they are dimmer, and so there’s less light to bounce back off the fog, if they aren’t aimed underneath the fog, such as when going over the top of a hill.

I second the thoughts about the Osram Nightbreakers, though - together with the Philips X-treme bulbs, they are the brightest standard wattage bulbs. The long life bulbs are aimed more at lasting a long time, and so aren't as bright as standard bulbs:thumbdwn:, let alone the Plus 30/50/80/90 bulbs available.

NightKids
13-01-2010, 08:23 AM
In regards to the yellow light used for foglights I got my information from Daniel Stern lighting. His information is backed up by heaps of research and is pretty much seen as the godfather of automotive lighting. It seems to however contradict what Hella says, here's a read on selective yellow light for foglights/harsh conditions:-

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/light_color/light_color.html

NightKids
13-01-2010, 08:49 AM
Aww damn I wish I wasn't in such a rush to buy the BlueVisions :(

I can't really see myself driving in heavy fog, and the only reason why I looked into replacing my foglights was because I thought it'd look a bit funny with White headlights and Yellow foglights, but now that I think about it...it ain't too bad.

Thanks for all your info!

You'll find that the Nightbreakers won't really match your blue visions anyway because the Nightbreakers will be like normal headlights with a tinge of white. The blue visions are white with a tinge of blue I think.

Xpire
21-01-2010, 01:55 AM
Awesome! Just installed my BlueVisions onto the low beams but they don't seem that much different compared to my old bulbs! :( Oh well.

Anyway, I've now noticed that my parkers are very yellow, and it looks kinda funny with the BlueVisions.

I've been reading up stuff about SMD LEDs but haven't been able to find many pictures of them being compared to normal LEDs...
What do you guys think, should I go for another pair of BlueVisions for my parkers, or some SMD LEDs? Are these things legal, or is it blinding?

NightKids
21-01-2010, 08:00 AM
Yeah blue visions don't really improve your visibility much, mainly just for looks. The result is expected.

I've got SMD's in my car atm, would you like me to send you some pics.

haha they are only parkers, not headlights. It'll be pretty impossible to blind people... LOL

SMDs are the way to go, they are nice & bright and they should match your blue visions ok.

Xpire
21-01-2010, 10:13 AM
Yeah blue visions don't really improve your visibility much, mainly just for looks. The result is expected.

I've got SMD's in my car atm, would you like me to send you some pics.

haha they are only parkers, not headlights. It'll be pretty impossible to blind people... LOL

SMDs are the way to go, they are nice & bright and they should match your blue visions ok.

Sweet, some pics would be good thanks :)

Could you recommend some places to get SMDs, all the forum posts have been pointing to eBay etc., are there any good branded ones at least?

Cheers

NightKids
21-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Cool i'll take some pics tonite and post them up for you. If i forget just remind me tomorrow.

I pick up all my SMDs from this guy on eBay. His really good, with cheap rates & fast postage. Never had a problem with him. I'll link you to him if you like the look of my SMDs. If you wanna buy locally I've got another guy too, but he'll charge a little more.

Both of them will replace if it's faulty anyway so you don't have to worry.

WATAJK
21-01-2010, 04:13 PM
Hey guys,

Cheers!

I've got phillips crystal vision (from melb) in both my cars (02 Laser and 02 DC5R)
Never had issues with it and from what i know there perfectly legal and ADR approved, but then again mine got fitted by my sparky and we re-aligned my lights to make sure they weren't sitting to high. Such a little problem gets a shit load of people in trouble = Defect.

But from what i know, Crystal Vision is legal (bright white light with a slight blue tinge 5000/6000k, one or the other)

NightKids
21-01-2010, 09:23 PM
OK I took some pics for you. Took one in the day & one at night.

LOL i dunno what's wrong with my phone but the dark one is definately not that bright! That's like brighter than HIDs man. It's just a nice glow at night...

http://img2.pict.com/50/c7/0b/2584314/0/img00128201001211918.jpg

DC5.Raven
21-01-2010, 09:36 PM
I've got phillips crystal vision (from melb) in both my cars (02 Laser and 02 DC5R)
Never had issues with it and from what i know there perfectly legal and ADR approved, but then again mine got fitted by my sparky and we re-aligned my lights to make sure they weren't sitting to high. Such a little problem gets a shit load of people in trouble = Defect.

But from what i know, Crystal Vision is legal (bright white light with a slight blue tinge 5000/6000k, one or the other)

Crystal Vision are not ADR approved,
and therefore illegal.
This will get you a defect if they check.

Blue Vision are ADR approved and therefore legal.

Xpire
21-01-2010, 09:51 PM
OK I took some pics for you. Took one in the day & one at night.

LOL i dunno what's wrong with my phone but the dark one is definately not that bright! That's like brighter than HIDs man. It's just a nice glow at night...

http://img2.pict.com/50/c7/0b/2584314/0/img00128201001211918.jpg

LOL damn that's bright as! Looks good though, do you have the eBay seller link for me or something? :) I actually found a few good ones from Dealextreme, whom I've purchased from hundreds of time, do you know whether those SMDs are good?

WATAJK
21-01-2010, 10:09 PM
Crystal Vision are not ADR approved,
and therefore illegal.
This will get you a defect if they check.

Blue Vision are ADR approved and therefore legal.

are well first ive heard of it but ill take your word :D
I've never been hassled, been hassled thinkin they were HID's once LOL

Xpire
24-01-2010, 08:57 PM
NightKids? Where did you go :(

NightKids
24-01-2010, 11:12 PM
I'm here! PM'd you the seller on eBay.

curtis265
26-01-2010, 11:07 PM
SMD's are still led's, theyre jsut mounted on the surface to give a 180 degree beam

NightKids
26-01-2010, 11:40 PM
SMD LED's are a different type of LED that's heaps brighter than normal.

Wilco
08-10-2010, 05:12 PM
i think with cops low in numbers, they will not be stopping you over if you have good driving behaviour but have somewhat white lights than yellow. its only if you have totally lame ultra blue lightbulbs will they be bothered earning some commission off you via booking u a ticket.

thought i'd post this here as well, cuz there's no general headlight subforum here:

has anyone here experienced these before? apparently they are equal to the crystal visions, but tons cheaper.
i know we can get them cheaper on ebay for $45AUD shipped from Singapore but yea....
Website Link (http://www.aponline.com.au/product.php?productid=16174&cat=253&bestseller=Y)
Ebay Link (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Eclipse-H4-White-Head-Lights-Bulbs-FREE-LED-PARKERS-/380273350630?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item588a0ed7e6)

They are called Eclipse headlights. They are trying to compare themselves to the crystal visions. not too bad judging from those pics, for now lol

NightKids
10-10-2010, 04:29 PM
I definately wouldn't buy Eclipse. The only brands that you should trust with Halogen lighting are Philips & Osram.

If you do want to go Jap brands then PIAA's are pretty good also. I tried MTEC once and they absolutely suck.

Wilco
13-10-2010, 01:56 PM
coool.
thanks for your opinion, though PIAA are just too expensive for that you get as halogens? if i pay that much, i guess i might as well just get hids.

having said that, i used to have these BJUnions. now that was a BRIGHT pure WHITE light, brilliant. but no ones sells them anymore in australia, and not only that, they only last 1.5years because of the amount of vibrations on our roads. they were twice or 3 times better than the crystal visions.