PDA

View Full Version : Considering buying a 2nd hand Jazz - advice?

rjflc69
12-01-2010, 09:38 AM
I am ready to buy a 2nd hand car for the school and kinder runs and am considering the Jazz. It will be an auto but other than that no other requirements.

How does the 1.3 measure up against the 1.5?

Wondering whether there is anything I should be looking out for when buying?

Any other tips?

Thanks
Fiona

rjflc69
13-01-2010, 03:37 PM
Anyone???

**Ghost**
13-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Without needing to win any races I would suggest you buy the 1.5ltr for that extra bit of power for day to day driving.

From my personal experience only, the 1.3ltr tends to really struggle once you have luggage or a few people in the car.

Considering that the price difference between the two, especially on the second hand market, isn't high definitely get the 1.5 if your budget stretches that far.

kongfu
13-01-2010, 04:42 PM
where are you located?manual or auto?

pick 1.5 if you can.

rjflc69
13-01-2010, 06:09 PM
Located in Melbourne and was looking for an auto with at the most 60,000kms and full service history.

Philip A
13-01-2010, 09:09 PM
I have just bought a 2006 1.5 manual and it sure struggles with the aircon on up steep hills especially with a few people in.

I would hate to think what a 1.3 is like although the CVT may ensure revs keep in the power band of 2500RPM plus.

And of course not as many steep hills in Melbourne as Central Coast NSW.

Regards Philip A

shadou
13-01-2010, 09:47 PM
make sure the CVT transmission is ok before purchasing, known issue with vibrations and potential start clutch (if it has CVT)

fundies
14-01-2010, 02:05 PM
Ive got an 06 VTI ( 1.5 ) CVT and it goes quite well loaded up with the air on. No Top Fueler off the mark, but once underway no problems, even up steepish hills.

TwistedGurl
14-01-2010, 02:47 PM
im looking for a 2nd hand jazz too.

from what i have read...i think 1.5 is the go. Fiona, have u read the complaints thread about the jazz? its a total turn off but good to know.

read the post about the safety of the jazz...not good for really young kids in the bak seat...unless i have read that wrong.

TwistedGurl
14-01-2010, 02:50 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11729

'The 3yo child dummy in the rear seat experienced a much higher chest deceleration than is typical in this type of test. This suggests an increased risk of injury and it might result from a relatively stiff vehicle body.'

rosewood
15-01-2010, 12:40 PM
the older models go for 1.5 but the newer models 1.3 (GE08) have more power
& are a lot cheaper.

rossw
22-01-2010, 02:46 PM
the older models go for 1.5 but the newer models 1.3 (GE08) have more power
& are a lot cheaper.

Bear in mind that the newer ones have a 5 speed where the older ones have a CVT.

If you can afford one of the current model ones, get a 1.3 if you only want it for short runs around town. I test drove one blind (they told me it was a 1.5) and found it OK with two people in it.

I ended up paying the extra for the 1.5, but this is my primary car and I do motorway trips as well.

If you get an older CVT model, definitely go for the 1.5.

pitiek
02-05-2012, 07:05 PM
Sorry to revive an old thread but I think I better do this than starting a new thread.
I'm on the market for a second car for the missus for a run around car with our newborn.
Our budget is below $12000 and I'm after a manual preferably facelifted Jazz with 1.5L engine, below 60000kms.
I also looked at Suzuki Swift and Ford Fiesta but still undecided.
Any tips on what I should look for? I know the CVT on GD is a big issue but is there anything else that I need to look for? Should I worry about high milage?
Thank you in advance..

Philip A
02-05-2012, 07:39 PM
I just bought a 2006 facelift GD Vti 1.5 manual with 45Kk for 10,400 to replace my previous one which was written off about 5 weeks ago.
The one I bought is a 3/2006 Thai build and to me seems better than the Japanese build I had previously.

I think you will be pushing to get a GE auto for 12grand! as most of the GD 1.5s for sale were more than 12grand.

With regard to mileage, I guess it depends on the life it has led. If no full service record then it is a lottery. Even mine at 45KK had no proof of a service since about 25Kk and the oil was filthy , but I changed twice and there does not seem to be any damage.

There are really AFAIK NO problems with manual 2006 or later 1.5Vtis apart from 2 recent recalls for the headlight switch and power window switch, and there should be stickers in the RH door jamb to show that the recalls have been done.

GD CVT autos are to be avoided as if a problem develops it is really expensive and as a used buyer you aare unlikley to get policy assistance form Honda.

Regards Philip A

jeremy_74
05-05-2012, 09:16 PM
Having owned both a 1.5 GD model, and now a 1.5L GE model, the GE model is much better, much better ride quality. I would even prefer to buy a 1.3L GE model than have a 1.5L GD model.... especially if it is an auto.

pitiek
05-05-2012, 09:19 PM
Thanks Phillip..
I'm still considering the swift though since there are more if them in QLD to choose from..
Anyone has driven and compare both before?

pitiek
05-05-2012, 09:34 PM
She will be mostly driving motorway mixed with little city driving.
Do you still think the GE gli is better than the GD vti-s?
Have you test driven the GE gli?

pitiek
05-05-2012, 09:40 PM
And how come the jazz and civic FD are at the same price point in second hand market??
I sold my FD for $14k,2007 77kms full service history auto...
Now I regret selling it...

Fredoops
05-05-2012, 09:48 PM
Thanks Phillip..
I'm still considering the swift though since there are more if them in QLD to choose from..
Anyone has driven and compare both before?

WAYYYYYYY more room in the Jazz. it's a bleeding delivery van compared to the Swift.
Good for Ikea trips.

Driving wise, they are about the same, i cant really tell the difference

pitiek
05-05-2012, 10:14 PM
I can still use my CU2 for IKEA trips.. :p
I found a few swift for less than jazz, that's why I ask the question..
I have never bought a car from a private seller before.. I don't want to bother people with inspections if I ended up not buying it...

pitiek
06-05-2012, 11:33 AM
So if boot space is not an issue, I better of with the swift you reckon?
Service intervals and insurance is another thing, I believe swift has 15k/1yr service interval and lower insurance premium compared to the jazz..
We will only keep the car for less than 5yr so when my bub has outgrown the jazz/swift, we need to buy an odyssey... :p

Fredoops
06-05-2012, 11:38 AM
So if boot space is not an issue, I better of with the swift you reckon?
Service intervals and insurance is another thing, I believe swift has 15k/1yr service interval and lower insurance premium compared to the jazz..
We will only keep the car for less than 5yr so when my bub has outgrown the jazz/swift, we need to buy an odyssey... :p
Check the cost of swift service...

There's a few nasties at 5yr and 7yr iirc
Www.carservice.com.au gives you a price guide.

pitiek
06-05-2012, 11:56 AM
I found a few 2005-2007 model swift/jazz that have only done less than 40k.
How does the service log book apply on these cars?
On another note, my CU2 has done 9300k and the next service is due in July/10k.
What is the tolerance in kms to keep my new car warranty?

pitiek
06-05-2012, 12:02 PM
What.?? Over $1k for swift's 105k service/7yr?? That's insane...

Artie
06-05-2012, 12:06 PM
Hi pitiek,

I just want to give you something to think about. This all depends on whether or not you can extend your budget and presumes that you will keep the car for only 5 years.

Historically, the Jazz holds its value well for the first 4 to 6 years. Like most cars they then to take a bit of a hit. I really think that you should consider buying a brand new Jazz. A second hand $12,000 Jazz will probably be worth about $5000 to $6000 in 5 years. A brand new automatic Vibe will cost you around $20,000 on the road and will probably get you $13,000 to $14,000 in 5 years if you take care of it. Up to 80,000kms your servicing costs are minimal and you are unlikely to spend anything on repairs. You will get full 12 months rego, brand new tyres and no uncertain history.

After 5 years you'll probably come out about even (extra interest included) but you'll have the piece of mind and luxury of having a new car with more features.

May not be for you but I just thought I'd raise the possibility.

Cheers.

pitiek
06-05-2012, 12:37 PM
That is a valid point..
I was thinking on saving a bit by buying a second hand jazz and do some DIY service myself..
I haven't thought about depreciation that much and considering I sold a well looked after civic FD auto for $14k, I was thinking to spend less than that...
Still gutted, what was I thinking..!!!

Artie
06-05-2012, 05:51 PM
That is a valid point..
I was thinking on saving a bit by buying a second hand jazz and do some DIY service myself..
I haven't thought about depreciation that much and considering I sold a well looked after civic FD auto for $14k, I was thinking to spend less than that...
Still gutted, what was I thinking..!!!

Yep, servicing is very easy to do yourself. I bought my GD VTI-S brand new in 2007. I intended to have it serviced by the selling dealer (Capital Honda in Canberra) for the sake of the log book but when I took it for its first service with just 996km they backed it into a large concrete pole damaging the back door and bumper bar. After this happened I decided that I didn't want them touching my car again so I decided to do all the servicing myself. I buy all genuine honda parts (from a different dealer). My car has been fully serviced as per the book. I had the valve clearance done (at the different dealer) at 40,000km and recently I had the brake pads and brake fluid changed by my brother in law who owns a mechanical workshop in Melbourne. I was using Honda FEO oil until recently and I've now changed to Castrol Edge. I keep all the receipts for parts, oil etc and fill in the service book myself.

The only down side to this is that potential buyers down the track may see this as a negative. However, I am incredibly meticulous about looking after my car and it's in absolutely pristine condition. Inside, outside, engine bay, under guards etc are all like new so it should be obvious to any potential buyers when the time comes that the car is well looked after and this thinking should relate to the mechanical side of things as well.

So, you can do your own servicing whether you buy the car new or second hand.

BTW, if you do buy used, I can highly recommend a GD 1.5 Jazz (manual). It is a very practical, economical, and reliable car. Probably more on all these counts than a Swift. The interior design is amazing. The rear seat is very well designed with a high seating position making it comfortable for people with long legs. I have 3 teenage kids and they find the Jazz is just as comfortable as our Pajero Exceed for running around town in. I've just had a cruise control fitted because this car is so good that it also loves highway running. We recently did a return trip from Canberra to Melbourne and it just loves to cruise all day long at 110kmh.

If you want an auto though, the GE is probably the safer bet. The trouble with the GE is that for my money the second hand price is too close to the new price - I think I'm going round in circles here!!!!!!

Cheers
Artie

pitiek
07-05-2012, 12:26 AM
I'm after a manual GD/swift S/Z series with extra airbags plus EBD/ABS.
I find the swift has more safety features than the GD..
How do you add cruise control to a jazz? Is it legal?

Artie
07-05-2012, 09:57 AM
How do you add cruise control to a jazz? Is it legal?

I used the Command AP60 system. It's a straightforward installation although the engine bay is a little tight for placement of the actuator. My actuator is located between the battery and the left front guard. If you are interested I can post some photos for you. The AP60 kit is sold as a DIY system but I would recommend that the wiring part of the installation be done by an auto electrician. The LED brake lights offer little resistance for cancelling the cruise so a resistor needs to be put in the wiring line to the brake lights.

It is all legal.

pitiek
07-05-2012, 10:25 PM
Will it work for manual GD?
I had a look at one VTI-S model today, 64k but no service history..
The seller told me that her daughter's boyfriend who is a mechanical engineer did all the servicing after 40k...
Mechanical engineer vs qualified mechanic... Hmmm, who will win in an oil changing competition...

Artie
08-05-2012, 11:00 AM
Will it work for manual GD?
I had a look at one VTI-S model today, 64k but no service history..
The seller told me that her daughter's boyfriend who is a mechanical engineer did all the servicing after 40k...
Mechanical engineer vs qualified mechanic... Hmmm, who will win in an oil changing competition...

Yep, works with a manual. Mine is a manual. You just need to install a clutch pedal switch. It just screws straight in to the top of the pedal, the female thread is already there. You just need to make sure you get a switch that opens and closes in the opposite way to a stop light switch. Cruise cancels (breaks circuit) when clutch pedal is depressed. Brakelights come on (completes circuit) when brake pedal is depressed.

Lack of service history is a shame but isn't the end of the world. The only big issues up to the 60K service are oil/filter changes and valve clearance. Even if the valve clearance hasn't been checked yet, and you get it done straight away there shouldn't be any problems.

The oil change history is the big drama here. You would need to satisfy yourself that it has actually been done. Once oil gets that dark colour it tends to still show up after subsequent changes so a close inspection of the oil should give an indication. Also, you can ask some questions such as "what type of oil has been used". If they can't answer off the top of their head then that would leave me doubting that it has been done or thinking that they haven't really cared too much about the car if they don't know that the correct oil has been used.

Also have a look at the air cleaner element. It should have been changed at 40K so it will be showing some signs of dirt but if it's absolutely filthy that would be a sign of lack of service.

The big downside here with the lack of service history is that the car will be less attractive to potential buyers when you go to sell it. If you're buying it from the original owner or maybe even the 2nd owner you will more easily be able to satisfy yourself that it has be serviced as required. However, when you go to sell it as a 3rd or 4th owner without service history buyers will look at it as a bit more of a gamble.

pitiek
08-05-2012, 07:03 PM
I saw another one 2007 vti-s full service history 60k and asking $12000..
It is in a good nick but I'm not comfortable with the price..
There is another 2008 vti with less 40k and asking $14000...
$2000 difference old vs new shape....
Dilemma....

Both has a full service history and one is purple and one is white... :p
Missus wants black.. :)

I have never bought a second hand car before so this will be a first hence the many questions....

pitiek
10-05-2012, 08:10 PM
I saw a 2005 jap build manual VTI @ a wholesale dealer this arvo..
Not in the best shape since the logbook is not complete.
Last service was 60k and it's now got 98k.
The air filter was dirty and oil was black.. Engine bay was dirty...
Few dings here and there..
Asking price was $6200.. I know it's cheap but I haven't test driven the car yet since the misplaced the key..
Should I bite the bullet..???

Artie
10-05-2012, 11:33 PM
Hmmm, sounds like a bit of a gamble. Something to watch out for in the bigger cities is that small economical cars are popular with couriers. It's possible that the 2005 Vti is an ex courier vehicle. "A few dings, not in the best shape" - fits the bill for an ex courier car but the fact that it's manual rather than auto gives some doubt. If it is I wouldn't touch it. It may not turn out to be cheap in the long term. Either way, it would seem that the lack of service history is due to its lack of service.

I would have thought that $12,000 for a 2007 Vti-s with full service history seems like a good buy.

As far as colour goes, black is not a good choice. It's hotter, shows damage, dirt, fingerprints etc and is harder to sell when the time comes. White is a great colour. Much more easily seen than black which is worth considering since you're carrying young ones in it. It looks a bit boring in the Vti but if you go with a Vti-s white looks great. My '07 Vti-s is white with tinted windows and it still looks as good as new. I've also got a new white Vibe-S on order for my mother in law.

Cheers

pitiek
12-05-2012, 02:30 PM
PM received Artie thanks heaps..
We were looking at mazda 2 this morning and the missus seems to like it more than the jazz..
Swift's boot is non-existence but she likes the trims and overall look.
Back to the drawing board then..
Mazda 2 is in the mix....

Celsious
13-05-2012, 06:09 PM
Did you happen to contact the place I PM'd you about ?

pitiek
14-05-2012, 12:06 AM
I haven't mate.. I have his number in my mobile phone but I haven't had the chance to do it.
I'll try to call tomo..

Nixon
14-05-2012, 08:54 PM
[.....................

pitiek
14-05-2012, 09:01 PM
Newcomer?

Nixon
14-05-2012, 09:14 PM
well..I have been round since '76..not really new...
sorry, I thought u were in melb..

pitiek
14-05-2012, 09:20 PM
That's not what I mean mate..
Ozhonda has a really strict no selling rule for newcomer..

Nixon
14-05-2012, 09:37 PM
oh oh yeah. sorry will delete i guess.

Celsious
15-05-2012, 05:09 PM
Yeah just give him a call :) Let me know if you do !

pitiek
17-05-2012, 12:50 PM
I saw a vti jazz manual online my06.
$10000 good deal? Less than 60k

Box
13-06-2012, 03:38 PM
pitiek were you thinking of a mazda 2 as well? looking at a jazz for my mrs I was gonna get brand new but they are not being made in japan no more....was thinking about mazda 2 as well but have no idea what they are like

pitiek
14-06-2012, 12:08 AM
Missus loved the mazda 2 coz of the dark grey colour.
It drives great but boot space was an issue since she is going to use it for shopping run with our little one. Fitting a pram and some shopping bags will be an issue, that is why we are looking at jazz again and possibly the new civic..

Box
14-06-2012, 02:38 AM
ah fair enough....are the new civics meant to be any good? haven't read to many good things about them

pitiek
28-06-2012, 05:44 PM
I'm about to bite the bullet for 2009 GE VTI manual for $13500.....

fundies
28-06-2012, 07:13 PM
I'm about to bite the bullet for 2009 GE VTI manual for $13500.....

You should enjoy. Just replaced my GD VTI CVT with an 09 VTIS manual, and the difference is like night and day. This new car is a hoot to drive in comparison and in it's own right ( I owned an MX5, Mazda rotaries etc, and the Jazz is fun, fun, fun on the right road ).

pitiek
01-07-2012, 12:31 AM
Got the jazz yesterday and we have been driving it all day today. A great little car and it runs on fumes..!!
The only thing now is to get a decent paint correction since the previous owner had never put much care on the exterior..
Does anyone know where to get a good detail/paint correction in Brisbane?