PDA

View Full Version : Engine life.

Temp3st
12-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Hey guys my car recently hit 150k kilometres and i was wondering is it time for a new engine or something soon? because it gets flogged a fair bit and i dont want the engine to completely erupt on me lol. This probably should go into the noob section but oh well. Cheers

fromdeeeast
12-01-2010, 10:02 PM
whats the point of getting a new engine now?

How do you know that the engine you have is not going to last for another 150,000kms?

To be honest and you can do now is MAINTENANCE. Servicing it every 5000kms, and preventative maintenance, by becoming aware of things that start to fail if they do and fix them early.

150,000kms isn't alot of k's and hondas are generally reliable.

You'd be better off it going completely erupting on you that way you have to get a new one.

But if you want to go blow 3k+ on a new motor then by all means go do it, just do your research before you get another asshole made and get charged an arm and a leg

"IF IT AINT BROKE, WHY FIX IT!!"

Temp3st
12-01-2010, 10:16 PM
haha thanks for that i meant to say is there a way of prolonging the life of the engine but its late im tired and mustve forgotten to say that. I do however appreciate the advice thank you very much for that!

redefine
13-01-2010, 11:31 AM
haha thanks for that i meant to say is there a way of prolonging the life of the engine but its late im tired and mustve forgotten to say that. I do however appreciate the advice thank you very much for that!

prolonging life?? maintain it like a bitch. change never miss an oil change or a service. dont rev it hard untill it warms up. and always drive like a granny :p

fromdeeeast
13-01-2010, 11:36 AM
prolonging life?? maintain it like a bitch. change never miss an oil change or a service. dont rev it hard untill it warms up. and always drive like a granny :p

+1

And just make sure when something starts tp play up get it fixed asap, as they can start to make other things start to fail.

For basics tho
- Let the car warm up before you drive it ( leave for 5 mins, some say its bad as it leaves carbon deposits on your valves but i reckon its a load)

- Service it every 5000kms

- Just don't thrash it all the time

zillacles
13-01-2010, 11:47 AM
5 minutes is way too long for an EFI. 30 seconds should be enough, it's better to warm it up with 5 minutes of driving.

Temp3st
13-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Yeah i dont ever thrash it when it hasnt warmed up properly i usually drive around for at least 10 mins before even revving it a little more than i should so thats not a problem and it gets a service on time so basically im good haha thanks guys :P Speaking of which though is Penrite a good enough oil to put in?

EK1.6LCIV
13-01-2010, 01:48 PM
install an oil pressure gauge, best investment you could put on a vtec engine

I don't warm mine up for more than a min max (I run oem or RP oil, very good protection properties during cold operations til warm up and an oem filter), by the time I get out of my estate and head towards the motorway Im nearly back at 50psi at 3k on 100kph within 10mins, on idle it around 10psi