PDA

View Full Version : Buying EK Civic - tips

jrbny911
13-01-2010, 05:13 PM
Hey guys

well i sold my WRX & now in the hunt for a EK Hatch 96> Auto. anyway i have searched the forum for tips on buying a civic but couldn't really find much so wondering if you can share your pearls of wisdom with me :D

just for some info i am currently looking at a 97 GLI & 99 CXI is there any difference in actual engine & trans?

also i have some rims from a Mitsubishi Mirage which was wondering if they would fit? they are 17's TSW venoms i am not sure on the size so a wheel expert could help me thanks?

Cristian

Raztaz
13-01-2010, 05:27 PM
they both have D16Y4's. (same motor and tranny)
GLi has rear disc brakes, power options and air con where as CXi has rear drum brakes, no pwoer options and no air con.
The wheels for EK1's are 4 x 100 stud pattern. 17's can fit, depends how wide they are

muzukashi
13-01-2010, 05:45 PM
Both very similar but GLI better option if u can find 1 and the price is right, power options these days are a must these days unless your fine without

flipfire
13-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Go for a GLi model. You should be able to pick one up for around 6-8k depending on condition.

17's 4x100 wheels will fit

just for some info i am currently looking at a 97 GLI & 99 CXI is there any difference in actual engine & trans?

No just the body. 96-98 is prefacelift and 99-00 is facelift. Pre-facelift has bumper moulds and different front bumper.The facelift version is found to be more desirable. See here http://www.ek9.org/forum/resource-area/14052-pre-facelift-vs-facelift.html

Mikecivic78
13-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Hey guys

well i sold my WRX & now in the hunt for a EK Hatch 96> Auto. anyway i have searched the forum for tips on buying a civic but couldn't really find much so wondering if you can share your pearls of wisdom with me :D

also i have some rims from a Mitsubishi Mirage which was wondering if they would fit? they are 17's TSW venoms i am not sure on the size so a wheel expert could help me thanks?

Cristian

Wow, from a WRX to an auto EK hatch. Bit of a change, why are u getting something so base?

The engine and trans are the same and the wheels will almost definitely fit.

Here is the best article on buying an EK civic. It does a thorough review amd goes through all potential problems that the EK Civics can have(mechanical or otherwise). Enjoy! http://www.carpoint.com.au/reviews/2005/small-passenger/honda/civic/honda-civic-cxi-gli-vti-vtir-19952000-3569

munkaii
13-01-2010, 06:56 PM
Cxi civics do come with aircon by the way. Also 96-98 is the preface shape and 99-00 is the facelift shape. Slightly different front end and tail lights are different too.

jrbny911
13-01-2010, 06:56 PM
Thanks guys, good so its same/same apart from those lux items, the 97 has bit more kms but no damage on the paint so i will keep yous posted.

any other info will be appreciated.

jrbny911
13-01-2010, 06:59 PM
oh missed those other comments. thanks

yeah my WRX was nice but i could bare seeing it sit outside & i have my childhood dream sitting in the garage so still have the speed etc. also wife wants a car that she too can drive.

tsg88
13-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Only advantages of GLi over CXi that I know of, power mirrors and windows. Since you are looking at Auto's the Tacho is a non-issue, it's a non-issue for most experienced daily Manual drivers also. The GLi also has rear disc brakes, but 4cyl cars from the 90's very rarely have rear disc brakes so from that perspective its another non-issue.

CXi's do have Air Conditioning in MOST cases, it was an option but most people chose to add it. Preface models have like bumper protectors, 99 onwards have a cleaner look due to the removal of those bits of plastic.

jrbny911
14-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Mikecivic78 - good article

flipfire - good info

the hunt continues.