PDA

View Full Version : Is your engine flexing this bad?

man.exe
01-12-2004, 10:12 AM
Hi all,
This weekend after some exciting drive through some twisty roads, I popped my hood and realised that the engine's been flexing quite a lot. Just look at the corner of my valve cover, it's been rubbing hard with the insulation material on the bonnet I circled.

I've always noticed since the beginning that the engine has some weak or soft engine mounts. I think this is degrading the performance of my car, and could explain why I can't take off properly off the mark.

I was kinda worried that the engine is bumping too much into the bonnet. Should I replace the engine mounts to a more solid one?

http://tinypic.com/plugj

http://tinypic.com/pluko

wynode
01-12-2004, 10:27 AM
Are you sure the insulation hasn't come loose?

Best way to check is to start the car up, pop the bonnet up and walk around to the front.

With you hand, pull on the circular lever that he the throttle cable leads to on the throttle body to rev the engine. Rev it up and down rapidly to get the engine rocking on its mounts. If there is excessive movement, then you should be able to see it.

man.exe
01-12-2004, 10:40 AM
This thing only has happened after pushing the car a bit through the twisties, which means lots of clutch work, braking and accelerating, heel 'n toe turns etc.

wynode, I never had this problem when I was driving around normally around town, and yes I tried what you said.

h22a accord
01-12-2004, 10:51 AM
u might have done an engine mount, does the motor rock when u full throtttle it from a idling start?

egSi
01-12-2004, 11:07 AM
isnt there a DIY engine mount 'solidification' write-up around somewhere?

maybe try that before swapping mounts??! :confused:

Weq
01-12-2004, 04:49 PM
get some jimfab motor mounts from the US.. u'll looovee em :)

wynode
01-12-2004, 05:42 PM
Has the car been in an accident? If it has, its possible that your passenger side engine mount has been moved upwards. If it the mount is just worn as bad as you describe, then you'd be able to tell using the lil test I said above :)

man.exe
01-12-2004, 09:38 PM
Well I did that test you mentioned wyn, but I handbraked and then tried to move in 1st gear. The engine did rotate quite a bit. Just wondering now what to do becuase I don't wanna spend any money on this problem...

EG_2_TEG
01-12-2004, 11:44 PM
would one of those engine torsion dampeners help out?

i've noticed my car has been a lot more jerky when holding it at high rpm lately

wynode
02-12-2004, 01:04 AM
Changing your engine mounts isn't a hard thing to do. Just support your engine (a jack and plank under the sump) and do one engine mount at a time. I'd start at the rear tortion mount first!s

bennjamin
02-12-2004, 02:16 AM
Yup the rear main engine mount takes the brunt of the grunt so to speak....start with it first as the US boys usually replace this with a solid or upgraded mount - but in all seriousness unless you have doen some serious repeated launching , or a fat white guy has stood on ur engine i doubt your mounts will be gone...