PDA

View Full Version : How do I know what my wheel offset is?

Alvis
13-01-2010, 08:29 PM
Hi guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my stock EK wheels (4 stud pattern) to a 16" lightweight Buddy Club P1 rim, and I was hoping you might be able to help me out with 2 questions I have:

1. How do I know if I need a 4x100 or 4x114.3 rim - what does this mean?

2. What does the wheel offset mean: +27, +43 etc?

I am also thinking of upgrading to BC coilovers before I get the wheels (unfortunately I can't afford both at the same time and I believe suspension is the priority over the sloshy stock shock/spring set up) - are there any problems upgrading my suspension before fitting the 16' wheels?

Thanks for your help,

craigosrepz
13-01-2010, 08:41 PM
eks, eg, ed, ef hondas etc are 4x100 stud pattern
accords type r integras are 4x113.3 for example

Just means the measurment between the studs on the hub that your wheel bolts on to grab a measuring tape an check it out.

hope this helps offset calculator:

http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

NO theres no problem with fitting suspension before wheels. But would pay to set up the suspension when you put you wheels on though so you can get all the settings dialed in properly. Or redo it when you put your wheels on up to you.

Hope this helps..

Mugen Civic
13-01-2010, 08:44 PM
you'll need 4x100
it means the spacing between the studs diagonally

the offset is the distance from the centre where the wheel touches the hub, looking front on. The picture helps what i'm trying to explain

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk251/Mugen_Civic_photo/wheel_offset.jpg

CB7_OWNER
13-01-2010, 09:07 PM
In simple terms. Your car is 4x100

The larger the offset eg(+55) the more the wheel will sit inside the guard.
The smaller the offset eg(+25) the more the wheel will sit outside the guard.

Id your after something flush on the civic, i think around +40 - +45

Alvis
13-01-2010, 11:26 PM
Thanks for all the information guys (and the great diagram Mugen Civic - you legend mate) - definitely makes sense to me now...

Cheers fellas,

fergo308
23-02-2010, 06:53 PM
One other thing to bear in mind is that the same offset specs with different wheel widths will mean different clearances to suspension or bodywork.
a 15x6.5 +35 will not sit in the same location inboard or outboard that a 15x8 +35 will.

the best way to work out what will fit and what won't is the know what your current wheel's specs are and do the math to workout where your proposed replacement wheels will sit.
offset is taken from the centreline of the wheel,as stated above. different widths need different offsets to maintain specific clearances.

Justin...