PDA

View Full Version : another dc2r vs dc5r (lol yes, i read the other threads)

pure_na
15-01-2010, 02:46 PM
so i just read all the threads on the dc5r vs dc2r, and i have a few questions as i'm looking to buy either one or the other.
first let me state that i have owned a dc2r (was my brother's, went overseas for 3 months therefore became mine for 3 months lol). i loved it. however now that it is time for me to buy one or the other i'm a bit torn.
i am curious about a few things
first off, jdm dc2r (or audm as they are fairly similar) vs jdm dc5r, which in your opinions is the better car?

----MAIN QUESTION :P------
secondly, a few people in the old threads claimed that around a track a dc2r would beat a dc5r....does this still apply audm dc2r vs jdm dc5r? and what about with good suspension mods on the dc5r, would it then become a battle of the mods or is the dc2r simply a better designed chasis?
----------------------------

lastly, anyone know what the jdm dc5rs are going for in japan lol? can anyone help me out by linking me to a japanese used car website that has them or something?

thanks guys

chargeR
15-01-2010, 03:21 PM
The most important factor in a track comparison between a DC2R and a DC5R would be the driver. Are you a good driver? If the answer is no then it won't make much difference which car you are in, the more skilled and experienced driver will perform better.

I would guess from seeing plenty of Type R integras at Winton that a JDM DC5R would beat a DC2R around there by around a second. Motor magazine did a test of the two cars and I believe the DC2R edged out the AUDM DC5R by a fraction of a second in pure lap time, so the extra power and other advantages of the JDM car should see it ahead by a moderate margin.

Another point is that I have seen street driven DC5Rs with amateur drivers hit 1:38s and 1:39s at Winton but the quickest DC2R I have seen is 1:41s.

To answer your second last question, the suspension architecture of the DC2 is much superior to that of the DC5. Both the front and rear suspension designs of the DC5 are riddled with issues. The DC5 shell is probably stiffer though due to being nearly 10 years newer in design and manufacture.

How do you propose to import and register a JDM DC5R?

xntrik
15-01-2010, 03:33 PM
First of all, if you have no plans to track your car.
Buy the one that appeals most to you. Simple.

If you are however, I will ditto with ChargeR,
Alot comes down to driver experience and skills.

TypeS
15-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Good job on mastering the search function.

If the above answers don’t suffice;

I’ll teach you, how to use google, only because I’m bored, waiting for 5pm.

1. Fire up your interenet browser

http://i49.tinypic.com/29ehljk.jpg

2. Enter www.google.com

http://i49.tinypic.com/dnf2tx.jpg

3. Enter your main query, “audm dc2r vs jdm dc5r”

http://i48.tinypic.com/bdnyp0.jpg

And wow, there’s enough to keep you busy till the end of the weekend!

4. Enter your next query, might be hard to find, going to have to be cunning here, we’ll try some obvious words like, “Japanese Car sales”

http://i46.tinypic.com/35n3h2b.jpg

OMG IT WORKEDDDDD!! WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT google could find links????????????????????????

5. Think of another useless topic, so we can do it all over again on Monday.

Have a good weekend!

MWAKU
15-01-2010, 04:18 PM
LOL good stufff LOL rep rep rep HAHAH.

mocchi
15-01-2010, 04:34 PM
lol typeS, you got lotsa free time dont you.
but thats a very good sarcastic guide.

pure_na
15-01-2010, 04:36 PM
with the whole google thing...is it like ozhonda? cos i mean, what if nobody has posted the answer to my question in google? i don't want to have to go to all the internet websites to find it, that would take too long.

thanks chargeR that's exactly what i was after

oh and to import it, was thinking personal import...but yeh my main question was the one that ChargeR kinda answered for me.

M@lew
15-01-2010, 05:23 PM
A genuine DC5R is pretty damn hard to get a hold of, so there's a pretty good chance if you go DC5R you'll end up with an AUDM one.

KofS2s
15-01-2010, 06:53 PM
hahah that really made me LAUGH OUT LOUD TypeS!!!!

xntrik
16-01-2010, 04:11 AM
with the whole google thing...is it like ozhonda? cos i mean, what if nobody has posted the answer to my question in google? i don't want to have to go to all the internet websites to find it, that would take too long.

thanks chargeR that's exactly what i was after

oh and to import it, was thinking personal import...but yeh my main question was the one that ChargeR kinda answered for me.

http://www.funnycorner.net/funny-pictures/4796/face-palm.jpg

r3ckless
16-01-2010, 06:52 AM
lmao.. loved it!

digler
16-01-2010, 07:48 AM
Funniest thing ive seen all week
Ill pick mondays topic

ChrisSX
16-01-2010, 09:31 AM
So realistically, you're willing to wait 1.5years before you actually get your car via the personal import scheme? You must have owned it for 12months in Japan before importing and then shipping and waiting for authorization etc etc I've seen take up to 6 months.

If you're going to buy the DC5, just mod an AUDM model with the money and time you saved not attempting to import.

As for the DC2R vs DC5R debate, I've owned both.

I prefer the DC5 because it's newer and has more down low torque which is essential for the daily grind. It's nice not having to rev out first and second just to beat some automatic commodore off the lights so you can merge in to their lane; this was the biggest issue I had with the DC2.

At the end of the day, test drive both and decide that way. A bunch of people on the internet can tell you anything, but at the end of the day, everyone has different preferences.

l__i__l
16-01-2010, 10:16 AM
Good job on mastering the search function.

If the above answers don’t suffice;

I’ll teach you, how to use google, only because I’m bored, waiting for 5pm.

1. Fire up your interenet browser

http://i49.tinypic.com/29ehljk.jpg

2. Enter www.google.com

http://i49.tinypic.com/dnf2tx.jpg

3. Enter your main query, “audm dc2r vs jdm dc5r”

http://i48.tinypic.com/bdnyp0.jpg

And wow, there’s enough to keep you busy till the end of the weekend!

4. Enter your next query, might be hard to find, going to have to be cunning here, we’ll try some obvious words like, “Japanese Car sales”

http://i46.tinypic.com/35n3h2b.jpg

OMG IT WORKEDDDDD!! WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT google could find links????????????????????????

5. Think of another useless topic, so we can do it all over again on Monday.

Have a good weekend!

lmao :thumbsup: shuld be sticky....it mite answer all the threads here LOL

45SET
16-01-2010, 10:31 AM
TypeS :thumbsup:

Rep for you!

It appears you were the last person I gave a rep point to... so I can't rep you more. Either way, accept my :thumbsup: as a rep point.

So realistically, you're willing to wait 1.5years before you actually get your car via the personal import scheme? You must have owned it for 12months in Japan before importing and then shipping and waiting for authorization etc etc I've seen take up to 6 months.

Further to that... you actually have to LIVE in the country and use it for it to apply. You can't just buy the car from Australia, have it stored somewhere for a year and then get it sent over.

dc2r
16-01-2010, 01:43 PM
Best of both worlds...
Source a JDM K20A motor and drop into DC2R
:D
Unless of course you like the look of the DC5R better, then stick with JDM DC5R.

xntrik
16-01-2010, 02:35 PM
Best of both worlds...
Source a JDM K20A motor and drop into DC2R
:D
Unless of course you like the look of the DC5R better, then stick with JDM DC5R.

for quite a bit more. :)

anfo2gig
16-01-2010, 03:26 PM
I would guess from seeing plenty of Type R integras at Winton that a JDM DC5R would beat a DC2R around there by around a second. Motor magazine did a test of the two cars and I believe the DC2R edged out the AUDM DC5R by a fraction of a second in pure lap time, so the extra power and other advantages of the JDM car should see it ahead by a moderate margin.

Correct me if im wrong but isn't the reason why JDM dc5r has more power is because is tune to 100 RON.

If that the case, JDM Dc5r would not make that extra power since Australia only has 98 RON fuel pump. Which take out a good amount of power away.

geeang
16-01-2010, 03:47 PM
Correct me if im wrong but isn't the reason why JDM dc5r has more power is because is tune to 100 RON.

If that the case, JDM Dc5r would not make that extra power since Australia only has 98 RON fuel pump. Which take out a good amount of power away.

They would still produce more power than the AUDM counterpart when running on the same 98 RON fuel, otherwise importing an engine would be completely pointless and noone would do it unless it was absurdly cheap compared to AUDM engines (which they aren't).

anfo2gig
16-01-2010, 03:51 PM
They would still produce more power than the AUDM counterpart when running on the same 98 RON fuel, otherwise importing an engine would be completely pointless and noone would do it unless it was absurdly cheap compared to AUDM engines (which they aren't).

The reason i think JDM part is more expensive because of the JDM status. Im not saying JDM part are bad, but some no brand part does the same thing as JDM part.

Just curious why what is different between a AUDM k20 and JDM K20? beside JDM is tuned to 100 RON?

Becasue the reason why i stated that is becasue JDM s15 and AUDM s15 the real difference in power figure was that JDM s15 was tuned on 100 octance (which made couple of good kw lost) and ball bearing turbo (which the difference is was that it spool quicker, AUDM same turbo as JDM but wasn't Ball bearing)

So just curious why does JDM K20 make more power than AUDM k20 beside 100 octane?

geeang
16-01-2010, 03:57 PM
JDM engines got better headers + cat as well (be it B18C or K20), not sure of what other differences there are, but I'm sure someone who knows the other differences can chime in :D

anfo2gig
16-01-2010, 04:01 PM
JDM engines got better headers + cat as well (be it B18C or K20), not sure of what other differences there are, but I'm sure someone who knows the other differences can chime in :D

Forgot about that my bad.

But still i doubt the JDM header + Cat will make up the 20kw difference between AUDM and JDM. That why the Octane played a hude part for the kw difference.

Anyone can explain lol? just want to know more about it that all :)

chargeR
16-01-2010, 04:13 PM
The JDM K20A has higher compression pistons, more aggressive cams on both intake and exhaust, better intake manifold, better exhaust manifold and larger diameter exhaust, along with the different ECU calibration to suit.

From my rudimentary understanding how a basic K20 ECU operates, in a wide open throttle situation the ECU will only pull timing and add fuel (to the detriment of power) when knock levels exceed a certain threshold. At wide open throttle the car is operating in open loop, there is no feedback from the oxygen sensor in the exhaust, and the ecu uses fuel and timing numbers from tables that are hard coded into the ECU.

Thus if 98RON fuel is sufficient to prevent knock on a JDM motor, as the RON number really only corresponds to increasing knock resistance, then the car should make basically the same power that it did in Japan. Perhaps someone with Japanese language skills can confirm that the JDM car actually does require 100RON because that seems excessive? Remember that the Australian cars only require 95RON.

integra_
16-01-2010, 05:51 PM
i recomend dc2r.

rice_spirit
16-01-2010, 11:38 PM
first let me state that i have owned a dc2r (was my brother's, went overseas for 3 months therefore became mine for 3 months lol). i loved it. however now that it is time for me to buy one or the other i'm a bit torn.
i am curious about a few things

i don't really see the problem here.. you said you loved the dc2r so why not go for it?

having said that though if you can get your hands on a JDM DC5R i reckon go for it, just because of their rareness xD, but obviously not easy to get.

as others have said before it also depends on how serious you are about tracking/etc. because if it's just gonna be a daily or weekend car i doubt you'll push it hard enough to notice a huge difference in the dc2r's supposedly better handling(i'm saying supposedly because i don't know much about the technical side and i haven't driven JDM DC5r so can't comment on how it handles.

so just ask yourself:
1. what do you want to do with your car?
2. can you get your hands on a JDM DC5R

i personally think you will be very happy with either so decide quickly and start looking for one!

anfo2gig
17-01-2010, 01:41 AM
Thus if 98RON fuel is sufficient to prevent knock on a JDM motor, as the RON number really only corresponds to increasing knock resistance, then the car should make basically the same power that it did in Japan. Perhaps someone with Japanese language skills can confirm that the JDM car actually does require 100RON because that seems excessive? Remember that the Australian cars only require 95RON.

From this following website it shows the following spec for JDM ITR http://www.itr-dc5.com/spec/index.php with fuel type as 100RON. So i would assume that ECU would be tune for 100RON just like the JDM s15.

gambate
17-01-2010, 03:10 AM
JDM dc5r or AUDM dc5r with IHE anyday.
extra torque + 6th gear for daily/freeway, closer 3th, 4th, 5th for track. the gap of 3rd to 4th in audm dc2r is too wide

pure_na
17-01-2010, 04:49 AM
ai guys
lol at the tut, it made me laugh
nah like i said, chargeR answered my main question, about the track handling of both because i really was curious
yeh i will test drive a few dc5's, and yes, asking what's better than what on the interweb will only get you so far, i was just a bit curious as to why a dc2r would handle better around a track, cos this is something a bit harder to test yourself without owning both and having experience in driving both.

xntrik
17-01-2010, 05:44 AM
Alot comes down to how the car is modded for track as well,
Stock for stock realistically depends on the driver.

Realistically, alot is dependent on the driver + then the suspension setup.

JasonGilholme
17-01-2010, 06:40 AM
chances are you'll buy it and only go to the track once. Just worry about what its like on the road.

mocchi
18-01-2010, 10:30 AM
The JDM K20A has higher compression pistons, more aggressive cams on both intake and exhaust, better intake manifold, better exhaust manifold and larger diameter exhaust, along with the different ECU calibration to suit.

From my rudimentary understanding how a basic K20 ECU operates, in a wide open throttle situation the ECU will only pull timing and add fuel (to the detriment of power) when knock levels exceed a certain threshold. At wide open throttle the car is operating in open loop, there is no feedback from the oxygen sensor in the exhaust, and the ecu uses fuel and timing numbers from tables that are hard coded into the ECU.

the muffler has valves too that opens up in higher rpm to reduce restriction.

sretocz
23-01-2010, 12:12 PM
Thought Id post this up really good video on the DC5 and tests against the DC2

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/k7GDQ_kxnoY&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k7GDQ_kxnoY&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

markis
23-01-2010, 05:11 PM
^^^ you sir are a champ. cheers for that vid

6thgear
24-01-2010, 09:02 PM
depends what kinda driver you are i think when it comes between these two.

if you just want a raw, no nonsense drivers car, go the dc2r

if you want something with a little more modern comfort with fancy cupholders and pockets, probably the dc5r (recommended for the ladies....j/k)

i personally prefer the dc2r over its younger sibling. its a classic after all...

my biased 2c