PDA

View Full Version : turbo it up

timoding
15-01-2010, 07:51 PM
Hi guys.

I am kinda newbie at engines..
As far as I know I have a 98 civic gli engine which is auto.
I know the best way to make it fast is to get a engine conversion. Unfortuantely I don't have the money.

Would it be possible to turbo it? If I did, what turbo kit would u recommend? Also how much hp would I be able to get if I got headers and turbo'd it?

Thanks for your help guys.

Tim

Limbo
15-01-2010, 08:06 PM
u can pretty much turbo anything.
But a GLI Auto will most likely be a D series.

You'd still be up for about $3k at least and that is if you did most of the work, its not cheap to turbo. It is cost effective to turbo, which alot of people don't understand.

dougie_504
15-01-2010, 11:57 PM
As above, if you're noob to engines then don't turbo it - will cost you thousands in parts, thousands more in labour, and thousands on top of that in ECU & tuning expenses I reckon.

Are you sure you even wanna turbo an auto d-series?

Although one really good thing about turbo'ing a d-series is that you can swap in Suzuki Vitara pistons for a bigger punch :D

A B16A swap would make your GLi go much quicker and for cheaper than a turbo also (though won't make as much power).
However if you're not going to swap the engine then turbo/supercharge is pretty much you're only option if you want a 'fast' car.

Limbo
16-01-2010, 12:45 AM
the vitara pistons are a specific brand, not from a suzuki.

I'd say go for a b16 or b18 VTIR swap.
ABout $2000 to $300o for a halfcut and about $800 to get someone to wack it in.

Then you can boost that all you like.

Btw.. a turbo D16 makes around 100 to 118kw on about 6PSI. If you pickup a cheap D kit you can prob do it all under $3k (ask Lukezen27 he was able to get his done cheap or read his build thread (first one))

na-118
16-01-2010, 12:46 AM
who said you can't buy a bolt on turbo kit from cgc turbos. that doesn't require ecu, tuning, upgrade in injectors, pumps, ecu, and tune? cgc have a complete bolt up kit for d series for 3500$ AU dollars straight bolt on with all parts,

timoding
16-01-2010, 03:25 AM
chears for the all the useful and fast reply guys.

One point that stood out to me was half cuts are only 2k?? I might as well buy a half cut and get a swap, if a turbo kit is going to cost me 3k+. I thought conversions would be 4-6k, just for the engines alone.

Anyone know much hp I would pull if I turbo'd my engine?

dougie_504
16-01-2010, 05:47 AM
the vitara pistons are a specific brand, not from a suzuki.

I'd say go for a b16 or b18 VTIR swap.
ABout $2000 to $300o for a halfcut and about $800 to get someone to wack it in.

Then you can boost that all you like.

Btw.. a turbo D16 makes around 100 to 118kw on about 6PSI. If you pickup a cheap D kit you can prob do it all under $3k (ask Lukezen27 he was able to get his done cheap or read his build thread (first one))

No, they're Suzuki Grand Vitara pistons - do your research.

And I think your B18C/labour prices are a little low unless you have a good friend or two. He's more likely to pay $3500 for a B18C2 and around $1000 for labour, not to mention engineering certificates and the other costs associated with a good engine swap IE including changes of timing belt, water pump, various gaskets etc etc.

~Sp33~
16-01-2010, 10:01 PM
No, they're Suzuki Grand Vitara pistons - do your research.

From memory too, the Suzuki pistons drop the compression ratio to an incredibly low figure.

tsg88
16-01-2010, 11:06 PM
I would turbo the mofo if I had the money... just for the fun and the laugh. Get as much power out of the engine that came with the car... I am a bit old fashioned like that. 'Deal with the cards you have been given' type of thing.

dougie_504
17-01-2010, 03:30 AM
From memory too, the Suzuki pistons drop the compression ratio to an incredibly low figure.

Yeah, they drop it from about 9.5:1 to around 8.5:1 and the Vitara pistons are much stronger, which is obviously desired in a FI setup.

You can get them for around $100-150 AUS as well, so you'd be crazy to do a D-Series turbo without them :)

timoding
17-01-2010, 03:52 PM
mhm now im thinking just going a k20 swap ;D
I see the engines sell for 4-9k
Is it possible to turbo a k20? How much hp would it pull?

geeang
17-01-2010, 03:58 PM

For a full conversion, you'll be looking at ~$15k if you're going K20 swap.

~Sp33~
17-01-2010, 04:03 PM

If you have to ask, i don't think you're ready for it.

MikeyG
17-01-2010, 04:11 PM
if you going to k20 then turbo

ur looking at 15-20k

if you got the money then go for it.. would make madd power

dougie_504
18-01-2010, 08:24 AM
Would get plenty of wheel-spin and probably kill yourself <lol>

K20 sure is an ugly engine but if you wanna get a K20A turbo then just go K20 first and consider if you really need to turbo it. The AUS ones are like 149kw and the JDM ones are like 164kw. But if you're not going to track the car then I'd rather do a H-swap.

I reckon you'd have more fun getting a AUS H22A (149kw) for around $1500 +/- and adjusting suspension/weight distribution to compensate for the weight of the engine on handling. That would be a seriously fast setup.

Or you could get a JDM H22A for like $4000? Also around 164kw.

With either engine you could do a H2B swap (sticking on a Integra Type R GBox $1000+) which would hammer super hard.

timoding
18-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Sounds good (Y)
I guess I want to pull more then 350hp and most likely make it into a track car.

VTi_b0i
18-01-2010, 02:18 PM
u go from not being able to afford a b swap, to now wanting to turbo a k20 swap?

lookingforboost
18-01-2010, 04:15 PM
^^^ lol well if you decide you want to turbo it i have my kit up for sale in the FS section everything you need all bolt on ;)

~Sp33~
18-01-2010, 11:23 PM
Sounds good (Y)
I guess I want to pull more then 350hp and most likely make it into a track car.

That's a big number to just throw around. That's more than an NSX. Try taking a powerful car for a drive, and get a feel for how much power it's making. Then decide how much you're after.

A HP goal is good though.

beeza
18-01-2010, 11:46 PM
lol lol lol

This is Awesome!

But just buy my B18C2 (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123296) :)

dougie_504
19-01-2010, 01:09 AM
ATW? That's 261KW man <lol>

How much is a K20 turbo setup? Starting at like $18,000 and going up to like $30,000?

SeverAMV
19-01-2010, 01:25 AM
if you still just want a cheap turbo setup for the d, you can pick up full kits for $500-1000 on ebay. then just replace the turbo with something better from a wrecker. will save you in parts, then just deal with the labour and tuning.

k20a is a good engine, but spending 15k for a conversion to gain 40-50kw at the motor isnt really worth it when you could turbo for much less and gain the same amount.

sure the k20a has potential... but d series motors have potential too. bisimoto in america has a d series na running 10s down the quarter mile, with over 300hp as well. his current vehicle has an f series engine from an accord, making over 400hp na as well, doing quarters in the 9s.

every engine has potential. you just need to choose the right combination of parts, and weigh up the cost vs gain.

timoding
19-01-2010, 02:45 AM
haha ye, i might as well save. Just getting ideas, doesn't mean I'm buying it :P

timoding
19-01-2010, 02:46 AM
if you still just want a cheap turbo setup for the d, you can pick up full kits for $500-1000 on ebay. then just replace the turbo with something better from a wrecker. will save you in parts, then just deal with the labour and tuning.

k20a is a good engine, but spending 15k for a conversion to gain 40-50kw at the motor isnt really worth it when you could turbo for much less and gain the same amount.

sure the k20a has potential... but d series motors have potential too. bisimoto in america has a d series na running 10s down the quarter mile, with over 300hp as well. his current vehicle has an f series engine from an accord, making over 400hp na as well, doing quarters in the 9s.

every engine has potential. you just need to choose the right combination of parts, and weigh up the cost vs gain.

Mhm good point. I dun think its possible to make D series engine go over 350hp is it? Let alone being automatic, but im thinking of changing the gear box to manual. Also what parts we looking at for the best combo?

beeza
19-01-2010, 10:25 AM
Try 700!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAl180zN3Z0&feature=related)

lookingforboost
19-01-2010, 11:07 AM
man you can do anything with money! i have seen a 400hp D series with minimal parts!

but you really should think long and hard where you want to go a 350hp FWD is like a death trap and if you have never had that kind of power then it really could be a bit much, plus it takes more than a big hp motor to make a track car!

start small and work your way up plus it will be an excellent learning experience for you slowing building up a car.

beeza
19-01-2010, 11:24 AM
^^ Absolutely!

SeverAMV
19-01-2010, 02:52 PM
for a track car, its all about the balance between power, weight, and handling.

for this reason, its generally better to stick with the original engine or a similar weight engine.

if you look around, some people are running h22a engines in an ed/ef series civic. altho its good in a straight line, in most cases theyve had to raise the front end just to keep the weight distribution back to normal.

drivetrain and suspension can generally improve track times more than sheer engine power. in more cases than not, sticking with a stock engine and spending 2-5k on suspension mods can lead to faster times than stock suspension with 2-5k on engine mods.

beeza
19-01-2010, 03:01 PM
for a track car, its all about the balance between power, weight, and handling.

:thumbsup:

simonnowis
19-01-2010, 03:02 PM
Money-->Modifications-->Power-->Chicks+Fun

Without Money you cant get to the end result. in other terms with money you can even turn your car into a plane. 99.9% of the time you will never get what you pay for ur modifications back so I suggest you really think about how much your willing to spend on the car rather than how much power you want out of the car. I know I regret spending on mods.

.....Damn im bored at work Zzzz

~Sp33~
19-01-2010, 03:06 PM
if you look around, some people are running h22a engines in an ed/ef series civic. altho its good in a straight line, in most cases theyve had to raise the front end just to keep the weight distribution back to normal.

Despite what most people believe, the h22 isn't that much heavier than a B series. I've never heard of people raising their car for reasons of weight distribution, seems more likely that they would have raised it to gain SOME ground clearance between the sump and the road, it's quite a tall engine.

timoding
19-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Wow this thread has come a long way!
I agree with the money bit. Money is essential in life anyway in order for you to survive, so its no suprise.

If I can pull more then 350hp without getting an engine swap, I might as well just do that. The thing is, what do I change? And roughly how much roughly in parts will it cost me?

beeza
19-01-2010, 05:15 PM
d-series.org (http://www.d-series.org/) is your friend!

~Sp33~
19-01-2010, 06:21 PM
If I can pull more then 350hp without getting an engine swap, I might as well just do that. The thing is, what do I change? And roughly how much roughly in parts will it cost me?

It'll cost a lot if you don't know a lot. The most expensive part of the build is paying for other peoples knowledge (tuning, installation, fabrication).

There's no price that can be put on it though. Anywhere between 500$ and 10,000$

SeverAMV
20-01-2010, 09:10 AM
well you'll need to rebuild the bottom end and some of the top end. head to www.fjdistributors.com. they sell bottom end rebuild kits with the coated vitara pistons, metal head gasket, every gasket you'll need, new water pump, etc. for about $350 (including shipping).

they also sell bisimoto turbo cams for $300-ish, and complete kms titanium valvetrains for $600-ish.

they should also have brand name turbo kits on their website.

parts are good quality, and you'll probably find that parts will be the cheapest part of the setup.

its the labour and tuning that will set you back a fair bit.

theyre quite a reliable seller. over the last two years, they supplied me with parts for my monster D series ed civic project. by the time it was finished, i had a pair of dcoe40 dual sidedraught carburetors (for an individual barrel setup), stage 2 bisimoto camshaft, titanium valvetrain, adjustable cam gear, 2mm shaved off the head, p29 pistons with bottom end kit, slim metal head gasket, extractors, exhaust, coilovers, brembo brakes, etc. at the end, the compression ratio was 13.5:1, and made 120fwkw NA before i sold it.

shit was epic with that car.

beeza
20-01-2010, 07:23 PM
Yes someone (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116757) got VERY lucky scoring that car!

SeverAMV
20-01-2010, 08:01 PM
Yes someone (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116757) got VERY lucky scoring that car!

i thought so too... then when i pulled up into the examinations hall carpark, i saw the rims from the car, the speedy 15inch rims that i painted myself, on someone elses car... so i dunno if my baby's still around or not.

last i heard, the new owner told me he beat a stripped out dc5r at mallala by 11 seconds, his old dc2 by 7 seconds and an hsv r8 by 17 seconds before the r8 went into a wall.

beeza
21-01-2010, 09:46 AM
Fark!

That's Awesome.

My Dream Car,really.

WHY DID U SELL MAN??? :)

SeverAMV
21-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Fark!

That's Awesome.

My Dream Car,really.

WHY DID U SELL MAN??? :)

lol, now i feel like a threadjacker, haha.

originally i was in tuned4street and we did frequent cruises through the hills, then some bad crap happened when new members joined, most of us left, and i found i didnt really do hills runs anymore so i didnt need the car. i figured it would be better to sell it to someone who might appreciate it a bit more.

right now ive got an ek1 hatch, complete stockers aside from stereo, wheels and tires. i probably wont do much to this one tho. when i look back at my ed, i remember starting out saying i wouldnt spend more than 7k on it all up... i think final total spent almost hit 20k... lol. definitely wont be doing that again anytime soon.

but on the off chance that i do modify the ek, at least now i know what mods a civic really needs, and what mods were just completely unnecessary. might just get an ebay turbo kit this time but swap the turbo. cant go past cheap turbo power. something like http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/D-Series-TURBO-KIT-D15-D16-CIVIC-INTEGRA-DEL-SOL-T3-T4_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3ca95de75fQQitemZ260 539541343QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAcces sories with a vitara bottom end kit.

TheSaint
21-01-2010, 10:58 PM
Try 700!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAl180zN3Z0&feature=related)

bisi is a true son of honda ... the force is strong with that one

NA-tuned
22-01-2010, 03:02 PM
Start with a Manual, that's my 2 cents:thumbsup:

Lukezen27
23-01-2010, 02:16 AM
Hi guys.

I am kinda newbie at engines..
As far as I know I have a 98 civic gli engine which is auto.
I know the best way to make it fast is to get a engine conversion. Unfortuantely I don't have the money.

Would it be possible to turbo it? If I did, what turbo kit would u recommend? Also how much hp would I be able to get if I got headers and turbo'd it?

Thanks for your help guys.

Tim

Close to all the info needed to boost your D-series cheap but not to cheap it will break after a month :thumbsup:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79182

GReddy Kit
$2080

FMIC
$150

FMIC Pipping
$190

Install
$600

Total
$3020

Please PM me before you get ripped off like many people on here for install costs

Should bare in mind my Turbo D only managed 14.5sec with 137kw

timoding
23-01-2010, 03:06 AM
Close to all the info needed to boost your D-series cheap but not to cheap it will break after a month :thumbsup:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79182

GReddy Kit
$2080

FMIC
$150

FMIC Pipping
$190

Install
$600

Total
$3020

Please PM me before you get ripped off like many people on here for install costs

Should bare in mind my Turbo D only managed 14.5sec with 137kw

Wow, insane! haha how much hp does that run? Sorry still trying to figure out what kw and all that stuff stands for, haha.
I was so noobie that I asked my friend what if I did all this stuff to my engine and left it auto. He laughed and said nah man ur engine would probabily blow up, ahhaah.

Lukezen27
23-01-2010, 03:30 AM
Wow, insane! haha how much hp does that run? Sorry still trying to figure out what kw and all that stuff stands for, haha.
I was so noobie that I asked my friend what if I did all this stuff to my engine and left it auto. He laughed and said nah man ur engine would probabily blow up, ahhaah.

Not sure auto and manual gear boxes has anything to do with engine longevity

Straight bolt-on no other mods 100kw/134hp

beeza
23-01-2010, 03:53 PM
Thanks Sever,I understand mate :thumbsup:

A couple of guys on d-series.org have boosted d auto's.Check that out!

lookingforboost
23-01-2010, 04:19 PM
you will have a little bit less power with an auto compared to a mannual but it wont blow your motor up.

my kit is happy to run 7-10psi and never yet had a problem, dont think about it just boost it you will never look back ;P

PS buy my turbo kit before i decide to buy another ek and put it on that lol :)