PDA

View Full Version : 1999 Civic or 1996 Integra?

Avalon Shotkicker
15-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Hey guys,

While looking for a manual car (at around the $5000-$6000 mark), I came across a couple of nice (I'm not sure though) Hondas.

The first one was a 1999 EK Civic CXi for $5200, its biggest advantage was that it only had approx. 87,000km on the clock, and one owner.

The other one was a 1996 DC2 Integra GSi for $5500, I have no idea how many owners it has had, but it has done approx. 194,000km.

The Civic is based in Sydney, and the Integra is based in Canberra. As I live in Canberra, it would be much easier to look at the Integra, but the Civic has a RWC.

Could someone please help me out
Thanks
Avalon Shotkicker

nikolaz01
15-01-2010, 09:52 PM
Hi mate, i think it all comes down to which ever car you like.. Do you like the civic more or the integra im sure you like one over the other by an inch or so.

If i was you i'd go look at the integra first since its in canberra, then also go have a look at the civic since is a 99 model and done only 87xxxks thats pretty good.

If your unsure best of to check both cars on revs to see if either of them has been in an accident. Also you can bring a mechanic to come with you to inspect i.e nrma inspector or a mechanic you know of.

Otherwise if you don't have that extra cash to spend on an inspector, these are the things i would check for.

1.Interior good condition if theres any major scuffs or scratches on the inside panels.

2. Check tyres to see how much tread is left you don't want to buy a car and end up spending afew more hundred for new tyres.

3. A must for every car check wheel alignment

4. Check undercarriage if you can for any big dents/holes/rusting to oil sump,extractors,exhaust etc etc

5. Make sure all lights are working, indicators left/right, brake lights, front lights and rear and also high beam.

6. Pop up the hood and check oil condition, good clean oil will make your car last longer.

7. I know its a bit corny but you should check if the wipers work too.

8. Usually when i go to look at older cars i always look at the paint work properly, if its a fresh respray you won't need to worry. But on older cars in time they tend to fade,crack,peel and rust away eating the metal shell. So it's good to check that too so you can get it fixed.

9.Be on the ball don't be shy to ask for a better price if you see things that need to be fixed in order to get the car driving from a day to day basis.

10.Ask them how often do they service the car and if they have any receipts or records of it.

Good luck buddy! i hope i covered most of it for ya.

Avalon Shotkicker
15-01-2010, 10:24 PM
Hi mate, i think it all comes down to which ever car you like.. Do you like the civic more or the integra im sure you like one over the other by an inch or so.

If i was you i'd go look at the integra first since its in canberra, then also go have a look at the civic since is a 99 model and done only 87xxxks thats pretty good.

I secretly like the Integra more, due to its abundance of standard features, and the fact that it has ABS brakes, but due to the condition of the Civic, and the fact it was only advertised in today's Telegraph, whereas the Integra was last updated in late December.

By the way, this is the link to the Integra, Linky (http://tinyurl.com/ylykyrv)

dougie_504
15-01-2010, 11:53 PM
There have been some cheap DC4's and DC2 VTiR's for sale on www.firesport.com.au recently if you're interested.

dougie_504
16-01-2010, 12:14 AM
Just realised they're both in VIC. Looks like good deals though.

http://firesport.com.au/quick-sale-dc2-vtir-offer-car-trading-point-sales--ad145358.htm
http://firesport.com.au/honda-dc4-integra-car-trading-point-sales--ad145535.htm

CB7_OWNER
16-01-2010, 07:40 AM
shop around some more... those cars u mentioned have racked up a fair amount of km's alreadi.. but otherwise sounds like a good buy, probably worth nego a bit mroe on them too

Avalon Shotkicker
16-01-2010, 10:19 AM
I found a '95 for the same price in the Canberra Times classifieds, it could be in better condition, but I'm not sure.

Avalon Shotkicker
16-01-2010, 04:44 PM
We called the bloke with the 1996, and it turned out that it had only two owners (seller/current owner is the son of the original owner), it turns out that he only wants to sell the car because he bought a bicycle and needs a bigger car to fit it in. To be fair, my parents' 2004 Toyota Avalon has 201k on the clock (they bought it as a demo with 5k on it).

dougie_504
16-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Yeah bro but a Toyota Avalon is a big car/cruiser and is supposed to do lots of KMs. The average Australia done 14k KMs per year.

Cars like Civics you would expect to do less than a Falcon/Commowhore/Avalon, but personally I would expect Integra's to do even less than the Civics just because they're more sporty/less practical for daily driving (with families and long trips etc.).

If you want a Civic/'teg I'd suggest looking for one that's done about 10k KMs/year.

tsg88
16-01-2010, 10:40 PM
That 1999 Civic is cheeeeeap at $5200, my 96 170K on the clock, was advertised at $5400 and I got it for approx $4k after a lot of haggling over the phone (it has its issues with condition etc). Had it on the road for about $4500... So that's damn cheap for a 99, you could almost turn around a profit for that price.

dougie_504
17-01-2010, 03:28 AM
Yeah you'll surely get the $5200 civic for $4500 or less even.

nny911
17-01-2010, 06:33 AM
if you can, try to look for gli's for the civics, comes with the rear disc brake. and power windows. etc and for integra's try vti and above..cos gsi has no vtec. .. but if you had to choose between the 2 cars. id rather the civic. - km's wise. the teg has more than double the civics and the civic is 3 years newer.

dougie_504
17-01-2010, 07:38 AM
Yeah get the Civic. And if you wanna do a VTEC swap it's already got the wiring :)

act_gooner
17-01-2010, 01:49 PM
I would shop around a bit more or keep saving because I would prefer an Integra.
Here is another Civic in the ACT for a good price.

http://www.allclassifieds.com.au/ac/ac0032?vcid=122325798

Personally I would keep shopping for a better Integra, which is actually what I am doing.

Avalon Shotkicker
17-01-2010, 05:12 PM
We ended up buying the Integra, for $5100

Edit: We did have a detailed look at the car, and during the test drive, it drove perfectly.

slimx
17-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Integra all the way mate!!!!

act_gooner
17-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Mad buy!

dougie_504
18-01-2010, 08:34 AM
Nice work. Definitely a good looking car.

Got any plans for it? Mods?

Personally I love the way they look without the rear spoiler...the DC's are a bit sleek to have a spoiler IMO.

Avalon Shotkicker
18-01-2010, 03:14 PM
Got any plans for it? Mods?

Personally I love the way they look without the rear spoiler...the DC's are a bit sleek to have a spoiler IMO.

As I'm only in year 12 this year, and work as a casual, I might just delete the spoiler and tune the B18B for low-end torque, as well as fix the superficial scratches and dents that happen to cars of this age.

But later on (when I get my full licence, and get into uni (I want to study mechanical engineering)), I might put in a turbo, and/or a new engine (perhaps a K20A front-cut if funds permit).

I don't plan to rice this car up, (even though it has a set of Momo rims and a spoiler), and am definitely not going to do burnouts outside Maccas (it's a VS Commodore thing).

dougie_504
18-01-2010, 05:21 PM
Commowhores are for commowhores <lol>

What's your budget for the engine work? Or not really set one?

I really like the idea of fixing up the body. I think the external appearance of a car really says a lot about a person and how they relate to their vehicle. I'm almost against full resprays though, because I know a lot of people who do them just to cover small damage or because they want a change of colour, but a new spray job only lasts until the first scratch anyway <lol>

As for the engine I think a swap would be better before you go turbo due to insurance reasons mostly...I dunno what it's like for you but my friend who's 24 just got an Audi Quattro turbo and his insurance is $5000 per year...hardly worth it I reckon, but it might be different for you.

And with the tune it might not really be worth getting it dyno tuned if it's not yet modified very much and you're thinking of swapping the engine or going turbo - just do the tuning all in one go maybe, to prevent spending money repeatedly. Has the car got I/H/E already?

jeffreymui
18-01-2010, 05:29 PM
I thought 96 dc dun hv abs brakes? Correct me if I'm wrong

Avalon Shotkicker
18-01-2010, 07:05 PM
I thought 96 dc dun hv abs brakes? Correct me if I'm wrong

I think it might have been an option, but I'm unsure of that. It says it has on the Carsales site, but it could've been posted automatically on the listing.

I'd still rather have the sunroof (I'm 6' and still growing).

Commowhores are for commowhores <lol>

What's your budget for the engine work? Or not really set one?

I really like the idea of fixing up the body. I think the external appearance of a car really says a lot about a person and how they relate to their vehicle. I'm almost against full resprays though, because I know a lot of people who do them just to cover small damage or because they want a change of colour, but a new spray job only lasts until the first scratch anyway <lol>

As for the engine I think a swap would be better before you go turbo due to insurance reasons mostly...I dunno what it's like for you but my friend who's 24 just got an Audi Quattro turbo and his insurance is $5000 per year...hardly worth it I reckon, but it might be different for you.

And with the tune it might not really be worth getting it dyno tuned if it's not yet modified very much and you're thinking of swapping the engine or going turbo - just do the tuning all in one go maybe, to prevent spending money repeatedly. Has the car got I/H/E already?

I'm unsure if I/H/E has been added, but if not, I will add them. I'm not sure if I'm going to do the turbo/swap, but if I do, it won't be for a few years (when I can get a stable part-time job), or at least until something major (engine part/gearbox) dies.

I won't do a full respray, but might do a few touch-ups (if I can afford a good-quality one), otherwise, I'll wait until the engine swap.

I might be doing motor restoration and maintenance courses at TAFE as well.