PDA

View Full Version : What engine oil for 3rd gen Honda Odyssey

sschen
16-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Hi All

I have a 2004 3rd-gen odyssey that is due for its 70,000km service. I noticed in my last service with RAC, that they used Valvoline ProBlend 15W-40 for the service.

I am thinking of using better engine oil. On speaking to a few people, I have been suggested the following engine oil

Penrite HPR5 5W-40 $47 at Repco
Castrol Magnatec 10W-40 $28.xx at SuperCheapAutos
Castrol Edge Sport 5W-30 at $38.xx at SuperCheapAutos

These are prices in Perth, WA.

A friend swears by the HPR5 and he actually prefers the 5W-40 of the HPR5 because of the warmer weather conditions in WA as opposed to 5W-30 of the Castrol Edge

The Castrol Edge is currently on specials at the moment, otherwise it costs about the same as the Penrite HPR5. I am a noob at this as this is my first "decent" car, I have previously always owned car that are older than 10 years old so I never really bothered about getting decent engine oils. My question is that is the Fully Synthetic Castrol Edge Sport a better engine oil to use in my odyssey than the Semi-Synthetic Penrite HPR5? This is especially when the Castrol is currently cheaper.

Also, apart from bringing the car back to Honda (I have a funny feeling they won't let me bring my own oil), does any member have any recommendations for a reliable service centre in WA that services Honda well?

Thanks in advance!

shadou
16-01-2010, 05:15 PM
I've always used Magnatec on my parents engines and it's served them fine so far; it's a commuting vehicle so I don't see much point in having Sports oil in them; what do you do most? then buy appropriately, it is your money

AusAccord
16-01-2010, 05:47 PM
i'm using Motul 8100 x-cess 5W-40 in my RB1 (3rd Gen Odyssey). feel throttle responses is better and engine runs smoother. people say its a waste (a bit pricey for Motul) as i change engine oil every 5,000km since day 1.

evolution
17-01-2010, 11:49 AM
Like AusAccord, I'm using Motul 8100 as well, but I only change mine at the scheduled servicing. Butt-o-meter telles me the same as Aus, better response and smoother running.

I've been bringing my Ody to a friend in Jandakot for servicing as he's a really experienced mechanic and has done quite a few Hondas.

sschen
17-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Like AusAccord, I'm using Motul 8100 as well, but I only change mine at the scheduled servicing. But-o-meter telles me the same as Aus, better response and smoother running.

I've been bringing my Ody to a friend in Jandakot for servicing as he's a really experienced mechanic and has done quite a few Hondas.

what is the name of his service centre?

evolution
17-01-2010, 11:48 PM
Ben Tan Auto on Cooper Rd

baboo
18-01-2010, 10:00 AM
another vote for Motul 8100. noticably smoother.

AusAccord
18-01-2010, 10:12 AM
haha.... all RB1 owners are using the same one..... why we are separate apart????

Atjo
22-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Motul FTW, i've been using motul for my euro as well. Better response and better engine sound especially if you have intake/exhaust.