PDA

View Full Version : Sprint Booster Review - Accord Euro CL9

sodaz
16-01-2010, 08:33 PM
My quest to fix the Drive-by-Wire lag on the Euro has led me to look a few different products on the market. The stock throttle response is really dull (both manual & auto) compared to cable throttle and despite having UR pulleys and a airbox CAI installed it still leaves much to be desired.

There's a few products out there right now: The Blitz Throttle controller, Buddy Club e-throttle booster, Pivot (shadow) throttle control and the Sprint Booster. They all work under the same principle, they're essentially a resistor that amplifies voltage signals to trick the car to think that you're giving more throttle than you really are. Here's the Blitz one in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TpR7l9fO5o.

With the exception of the Sprint Booster, all the other products can vary voltage to adjust pedal sensitivity. Unfortunately, I couldn't find compatible harnesses for most of them and the only one that is known to work with the CL9 (mine is an 04 model) is the sprint booster: http://www.sprintboostersales.com/. There's a manual and auto version but both work - the manual version is slightly more aggressive.

I bought mine online and it cost me $3XX AUD + shipping which is really quite expensive. The box is really cheap looking and it's just a small piece of plastic with a male & female connector. It also came with a metal plate (spacer) of some sort which wasn't necessary.

INSTALLATION and IMPRESSIONS:

To install this product, you open up the bonnet, locate the DBW module on the passenger side. Unplug it, add the sprint booster and plug it back in. It takes less than 2 minutes to install.

Started up the car as normal (no check engine light phew). Stepped on the throttle and immediately noticed the change. The throttle became a lot more sensitive (but not overly so). It made getting up to speed in traffic a lot easier and the car became more fun to drive. This mod is more noticeable than my pulleys and CAI combined even though it doesn't add any HP. :eek:

A lot of people think that you can duplicate the results by giving more throttle so I tested that theory. But no matter how hard I tried, it just wasn't the same. It didn't have the same crisp feel to it.

SUMMARY:

Pros:
1. Make the car more drivable in stop start traffic
2. Car feels safer - no longer hesitates when merging with traffic
3. Increases fun factor - you can feather the throttle and it responds
4. Should improve acceleration times slightly due to reduced pedal travel
5. Car feels faster in general (good butt dyno placebo effect!)

Cons:
1. Cheap looking and doesn't seem like good value
2. Limited documentation (esp installation)
3. Doesn't add HP/torque at all
4. Reduced pedal resolution - 75%+ is full throttle
5. Might increase fuel consumption slightly

Overall I would recommend this mod but i wish it was cheaper!!! ;)

snYpz
16-01-2010, 09:53 PM
wow this sounds interesting. Is the throttle response as marked as the demo on the lexus in the clip?

If there arent any other cons to this mod, this would definitely be the next mod on my list!

sodaz
16-01-2010, 10:06 PM
wow this sounds interesting. Is the throttle response as marked as the demo on the lexus in the clip?

If there arent any other cons to this mod, this would definitely be the next mod on my list!

It's definitely very noticeable. I think it's equivalent to SP2 on the Blitz throttle controller. The unit boosts the throttle voltage by approximately 30%.

snYpz
18-01-2010, 06:56 PM
It's definitely very noticeable. I think it's equivalent to SP2 on the Blitz throttle controller. The unit boosts the throttle voltage by approximately 30%.

thanks sodaz for the write-up! ;)

i have read up on converting DBW to direct cable. Im interesting to see how the throttle controller compares to direct cable. I have found that we can convert our DBW but will need to use, as a possible option, the accord throttle cable and run k-pro ecu (which will be difficult cos as far i know, k-pro wont work on our stock ecu).

The thing witht the throttle controller, would the ecu adapt and nullify the improvement over time? thats why vtec controllers dont work on our cars isnt it?

Phased
18-01-2010, 07:20 PM
Good write up.

However, I'm not exactly sure if I would call this "lag" an issue. When I put my foot down, it goes. The only issue I have with it is the sensitivity when using very low throttle positions. Seems like there is too much of a drastic jump from when the car is 0% throttle to 1% throttle... Maybe thats what your mistaking for as "lag".

To be honest rising the throttle position isn't really going to fix an electronic "lag" issue. At 0% it's the same. So for example, the jump from 20% throttle to 50% throttle is still going to take the same time the only difference is, it would start at 26% then go to 65%.

I think this device may create an illusion that the alleged "lag" isn't there, but unless you replace the DBW system, it always will be.

sodaz
19-01-2010, 08:27 AM
You're welcome guys, it's my pleasure. Thought I'd share my experience.

Unless the DBW is tuned agressively (i.e BMW M3/5, RS4, Ferrari etc), manufacturers tend to make the lower end of the throttle curve dull to make the ride more comfortable at the expense of response/directness. Cable throttle is still more direct and sensitive but this device reduces the laggy "feeling" dramatically. The effect is quite similar to pressing the "sports" button on the newer BMWs if you've driven one. The system on BMWs however, are smarter in the sense that it doesn't reach 100% throttle till your throttle is actually maxed out. So it's a variable voltage system of some sort.

Converting the Euro from DBW to throttle cable (i.e Euro R style) might be too much trouble and will definitely cost a bomb. I've driven mine for over 2 weeks now and it still feels the same. I believe the ECU just thinks that you're giving more throttle and doesn't know the difference between your foot and the booster. I don't think it will relearn over time based on this.

The stock Euro has a very jerky throttle at parking speeds because it gives you no power when it's supposed to (i.e.lag) then too much power all of a sudden. If you install an aftermarket intake it tends to smooth it out because it gives you more power but the problem is still there. The booster allows you to access more power quicker, reducing the feeling of the lag and jerkiness.

snYpz
19-01-2010, 10:15 AM
Sodaz, then what the booster does is trick the ecu that we are actually putting more throttle than we actually are?

would that translate to higher fuel consumption?

aaronng
19-01-2010, 10:34 AM
The thing witht the throttle controller, would the ecu adapt and nullify the improvement over time? thats why vtec controllers dont work on our cars isnt it?
No, the electronic throttle varies depending on the vehicle speed, load and situation (cruising, starting from full stop).

The problem with those controllers like VAFCii is that they play with fuel trims and the ECU does adjust fuel trims as you drive, hence the reason why those controllers are not always effective.

aaronng
19-01-2010, 10:42 AM
Sodaz, then what the booster does is trick the ecu that we are actually putting more throttle than we actually are?

would that translate to higher fuel consumption?

Yes, that's how it works. Our foot asks for 10% throttle, the booster intercepts and changes the signal to 15 or 20% so that it feels more powerful.

So yes, you would get higher fuel consumption during the times when you need or want only small throttle but the booster keeps giving you more.