PDA

View Full Version : Shock absorbers question

ccmengs
17-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Hey guys I've been doing some research on suspension and I am still abit confused about a few things. Shock absorbers or dampers are the things that absorb kinetic energy and converting them into heat right? They consist of a cylinder with a piston and oil etc etc.

My question is what is the difference between coilovers and adjustable normal shock absorbers?
Are the shock absorbers or springs responsible for ride comfort?

I've got an EG5 and when I go over speed bumps, it feels very uncomfortable and bumpy, I can also hear some sort of squeaky sound as well lol. My problem is that I want to fix that problem as well as lower my car. I've been told that getting lowered springs will f**k up my shocks. I also heard that coilovers are very stiff and uncomfortable for street use (I don't track or drag).

What do you guys think I should do? Shoot me some opinions don't be shy.

c01567
17-01-2010, 01:18 PM
there are a variety of options based on your needs and budget. you can't just generalise and say all coilovers are uncomfortable, although they will be firmer than a stock set up there are still some street friendly coilovers such as teins etc. You will find coilovers to be a more expensive option but will give you adjustability and a performance upgrade.

a cheaper option would be just changing springs, although if you are getting a squeaking sound it may be a problem wiht your shocks. you'll find if you get springs and shocks you enter $$ territory close to coilovers...

d15z1SUX
17-01-2010, 02:08 PM
get some street biased coilovers.

JetSir
17-01-2010, 02:13 PM
tein super streets !

ccmengs
17-01-2010, 10:33 PM
thanks guys !