PDA

View Full Version : CU2 Handling

MKI4EVA
17-01-2010, 05:05 PM
So as planned by Sunday morning I had put 450km on the car since pick up on Friday. Brakes still haven't been run in yet as the initial bite is still not strong enough.

My first impression of it around the city was that the suspension was abit too soft. To the point when the car went over continuous uneven surface the wheels just felt like they were bouncing around. On smooth road it was ok and overal it took up the bumps reasonably well.

Taking it at decent speed around some corners initially felt unsettling as the the suspension travel was more than what I was use to.

Took the car to Wiseman's ferry run to get a feel of what this thing was really made off.

Going on the old road up north the car really came into it's own. I was in for a treat once speed was past 2nd gear.

The chassis set up of the CU2 was quite impressive. Mid corner I could give it more turn-in and power and the car just pivoted at which ever direction I was turning. At no point at all did the car feel nose heavy and hinting understeer which was just superb. It's only at the limits that you get a sense of how capable this car is. On a few occasions it felt like the car was offering more turning input - this may have been the VSA at work by plucking the inner rear brake to give added oversteering. I haven't driven something with VSA in the past so am not sure on this one. It was a strange sensation because the tyres felt like they had no additional grip on offer but yet the car was still able to turn in quite sharply.

The steering feed back is not as good as the civic sport as it didnt fully communicate how much traction is left in the tyres. I did get a sense that the wheels were just too big for this thing....specially gover bumpy road. The larger wheels might be holding back some of the nibble qualities that chassis was designed for.

After this 3hr long drive it really made me less sure about whether adding thicker swap bars would be a good idea right now. Reason being, forcing the car to roll less will just shift the weak point more to the tyres. I guess it might be worth considering better tyres before the upgrade in springs or sway bars. Taking out some of the floating feeling that comes with a soft ride will certainly sharpen the CU2's characteristics up a notch.

It's left me wondering what the mazda 6, audi A4's and other cars in the category has on offer in terms of handling. Maybe what the CU2's offering is quite the norm these days for full sized sedans.

:thumbsup:

P.S - No pinging.

euromandeluxe
17-01-2010, 05:31 PM
nice writeup!

with the vsa, I'm not sure about on the CU2 but I'm fairly sure on the CL9 all the vsa ever did was kill the throttle when the front wheels lost traction. I've never felt any braking from vsa - I believe that's what traction control does as opposed to stability assist, but someone please correct me of I'm wrong.

MR_LATE
17-01-2010, 10:35 PM
loving it:)

SPQR
17-01-2010, 11:01 PM
nice writeup!

with the vsa, I'm not sure about on the CU2 but I'm fairly sure on the CL9 all the vsa ever did was kill the throttle when the front wheels lost traction. I've never felt any braking from vsa - I believe that's what traction control does as opposed to stability assist, but someone please correct me of I'm wrong.

What you felt on the front wheels when they lost traction was the traction control at work to slow the wheels down to regain traction. Instead, the VSA does brake individual wheels and sometimes you can feel it happening.

MKI4EVA
19-01-2010, 07:54 AM
loving it:)

that avarta of yours says it all.............they meant business when they were setting up the CU2 at honda. I love the short shifter stick :thumbsup:.

I'm starting to learn the limits of this thing. The speed and cornering ability is alot higher than what I'm use to so it can be abit hairy at times :angel:.

A lesson was learnt coming onto the carhill overpass from martin place going onto the harbour bridge. Plenty of tight bends there!!!.

denot
19-01-2010, 10:11 AM
A lesson was learnt coming onto the carhill overpass from martin place going onto the harbour bridge. Plenty of tight bends there!!!.

LOL! hopefuly you're not running @ max speed limit in your CU2 on that bend :p

MKI4EVA
19-01-2010, 02:19 PM
LOL! hopefuly you're not running @ max speed limit in your CU2 on that bend :p

shat my pants and had to dab the brakes and somehow it didn't understeer.

close call :angel:

Hanging for coilovers so the handling is more predictable.

tron07
19-01-2010, 02:45 PM
If VSA kick in, you will see the light on the dash light up or blinks

HunterZero
19-01-2010, 04:24 PM
Anyone done a direct comparison of the CL9 and the CU2? Differences? Similarities?

- HZ

buddah51au
19-01-2010, 05:05 PM
I personally find the handling of the CU2 well above average, although not quite as firm as the Mazda 6. After my recent trip south there is no way I would lower it for country driving as I scraped the plastic wind deflectors in front of the front wheels a couple of times while exploring the upper limits of what a CU2 will do. A firmer suspension would be out of the question for driving on some of our 2nd class rural roads.

MKI4EVA
19-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Anyone done a direct comparison of the CL9 and the CU2? Differences? Similarities?

- HZ

I've driven a CL9 auto very hard on OP and it was simply just another sedan that was composed but not responsive during cornering etc. Where as I find with the CU2 manual I could get the chassis to respond more to driving input mid corner.

Even though the CL9 was auto it had the steering shifts as well so I was able to get to a lower gear for corners, so I wasn't simply floating through the corners.

anyone have info in what toe and camber setting is set for stock? I'm quite keen to get tyres then coilovers for it and then a semi aggressive wheel alignment for it now.

it's such a shame the car's so heavy........around 1600kg.........we'd be in business if it was around 1400kg : ).

sodaz
19-01-2010, 07:17 PM

- HZ

I've driven both and the stock CU2 has sharper steering (faster steering rack) and less roll through corners but feels much heavier and physically larger than the CL9. The dampers are also more comfortable and compliant.

taccord12
22-01-2010, 08:35 AM
My CU2 certainly feel a lot less body roll with a rear sway bar

Type R Positive
26-01-2010, 08:49 AM
I personally find the handling of the CU2 well above average, although not quite as firm as the Mazda 6. After my recent trip south there is no way I would lower it for country driving as I scraped the plastic wind deflectors in front of the front wheels a couple of times while exploring the upper limits of what a CU2 will do. A firmer suspension would be out of the question for driving on some of our 2nd class rural roads.

Agree! I was thinking lowering mine with a set of eibachs, but now I'm in Darwin, I don't think that's going to happen either. Too much bloody water on the roads!

denot
26-01-2010, 11:06 AM
My CU2 certainly feel a lot less body roll with a rear sway bar
Hey man, maybe you've post it before, but I forgot... what rear swaybar u use?

taccord12
27-01-2010, 12:02 AM
nah it's jsut been recently installed, and it's the only one available for our car atm, Progress rear sway bar :)

denot
27-01-2010, 08:58 AM
nah it's jsut been recently installed, and it's the only one available for our car atm, Progress rear sway bar :)

Cool! care to share where did u get it from and how much? :thumbsup:

taccord12
27-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Mr Heel Toe from the states, was somewhere about under 350 shipped

MKI4EVA
27-01-2010, 03:54 PM
it's interesting to see honda made an additional section up just to accomadate for the rear sway bar. The bar is now mounted in the horizontal plane rather than vertical .........where all the issues came about with subframe tear out in the DC2 and EG EK platforms.

In the next few weeks i'll be taking off my OEM bar and getting a custome one made up. For a car that weights close to 1600kg I don't think a 22mm bar is enough. More like a 27mm+ bar.

These big wheels are starting to get to me..........you can feel them in the ride.......

denot
27-01-2010, 03:57 PM
Mr Heel Toe from the states, was somewhere about under 350 shipped

Thanks mate. I cant remember... have we seen your cu2 pics yet? :p

denot
27-01-2010, 04:03 PM
it's interesting to see honda made an additional section up just to accomadate for the rear sway bar. The bar is now mounted in the horizontal plane rather than vertical .........where all the issues came about with subframe tear out in the DC2 and EG EK platforms.

In the next few weeks i'll be taking off my OEM bar and getting a custome one made up. For a car that weights close to 1600kg I don't think a 22mm bar is enough. More like a 27mm+ bar.

These big wheels are starting to get to me..........you can feel them in the ride.......

lol mate, did u get the car? what have you done to it?

MKI4EVA
28-01-2010, 07:41 AM
yup picked it up a few weeks back. it's only got 1300km on it atm.

I've only wacked in a new set of golf clubs to it : ).

denot
28-01-2010, 08:23 AM
yup picked it up a few weeks back. it's only got 1300km on it atm.

I've only wacked in a new set of golf clubs to it : ).

LOL, tell us more about this... "big wheels" :p

MKI4EVA
28-01-2010, 03:08 PM
LOL, tell us more about this... "big wheels" :p

No - what I meant was the standard 18"s feel too big on the luxury models.

Or maybe the suspension just feels too soft for me.

tony1234
28-01-2010, 05:26 PM
No - what I meant was the standard 18"s feel too big on the luxury models.

Or maybe the suspension just feels too soft for me.
The suspension is supposed to be softer on the lux.than the std.:thumbdwn:

The X Man
29-01-2010, 07:43 AM
- HZ

Come and drive my CL9. I get feedback from others that it's miles too rough, which it is. You feel EVERY bump in the road to which upsets the car. I hate the ****ing suspension in it.

kimnkk
29-01-2010, 10:48 AM
Come and drive my CL9. I get feedback from others that it's miles too rough, which it is. You feel EVERY bump in the road to which upsets the car. I hate the ****ing suspension in it.

The cu2 ride quality is miles above the cl9, so yeah, compared to each other they feel like totally different cars, they shouldn't even be in the same series of cars lol

HunterZero
29-01-2010, 11:06 AM

I have a CL9 too on 17s, original RE040 tires - and on poorer roads, it does jiggle like crazy. On newer roads though it's really nice. Steering is pretty good, although I drove a Mazda 6 and the steering in that feels a bit better.

Have you done any mods to your suspension? Stock rims?

- HZ

The X Man
29-01-2010, 11:15 AM
I have a CL9 too on 17s, original RE040 tires - and on poorer roads, it does jiggle like crazy. On newer roads though it's really nice. Steering is pretty good, although I drove a Mazda 6 and the steering in that feels a bit better.

Have you done any mods to your suspension? Stock rims?

- HZ

No suspension mods at all. It's always been a chore to drive it around here on Adelaide roads. I have driven other cars of late and think to myself "WTF am i doing driving this Euro heap of shit".

It honestly is not designed for our roads. I have never driven a vehicle that is like it. Even my pig nose WRX was better to drive and that car was about as rough as the Euro.

taccord12
30-01-2010, 11:58 PM
Thanks mate. I cant remember... have we seen your cu2 pics yet? :p

Yeah it's somewhere around the 20 - 22 page in the Cu2 Mods section xD, added a couple accessories in the interior maybe i'll take another few snaps sometime

aaronng
31-01-2010, 09:22 AM
No suspension mods at all. It's always been a chore to drive it around here on Adelaide roads. I have driven other cars of late and think to myself "WTF am i doing driving this Euro heap of shit".

It honestly is not designed for our roads. I have never driven a vehicle that is like it. Even my pig nose WRX was better to drive and that car was about as rough as the Euro.
What are your tyre pressures? I find that if you go too high, it becomes harsh very quickly.

Phased
08-02-2010, 02:20 AM
The suspension is supposed to be softer on the lux.than the std.:thumbdwn:

The suspension doesn't differ between lux and standard, it differs between '03-'05 and '06+. They lowered the spring and damper rates in the facelifted model. Apparently too many complaints about harsh road manners.

Reply to OP:
If you want to improve ride comfort, firstly ensure you are running standard recommended pressures (if the tyre size is standard). Then if you're not satisfied get smaller rims and tyres or buy tyres that a renowned for soft sidewalls.

My '05 is probably a LITTLE harsher than you would expect from a car of its type, however I like it. Feels connected to the road. I can't stand cars that feel like a boat. My tyres are Good Year Excellence run at F38/R36 PSI.

tony1234
08-02-2010, 06:06 AM
The suspension doesn't differ between lux and standard, it differs between '03-'05 and '06+. They lowered the spring and damper rates in the facelifted model. Apparently too many complaints about harsh road manners.
Yes you are right in regards to the CL9 but the CU2 lux suspension is softer than the std.

Phased
09-02-2010, 10:51 PM
Yes you are right in regards to the CL9 but the CU2 lux suspension is softer than the std.

Ah I see. Interesting. Sometimes you really wonder why? It's not like the Standard is some high-revving, finely tuned sports car. It's the same, with less features. Wouldn't you just make them equally soft/firm. lol.

buddah51au
10-02-2010, 12:12 AM
I have a standard CU2 & I wouldn't want the suspension any firmer on the crappy rural roads we have in this area. I don't know for certain that the luxury models run a softer suspension, but if in fact that is the case it could be due to the lux having 18" wheels & slightly lower profile tyres which in turn could lead to the firmness being similar on both cars. I have driven quite a few Lux & standard models & personally have found no noticeable difference.

tron07
10-02-2010, 08:42 AM
big reason why I am still hesitating to change to 17" rims... planing to change tires, so pondering the move...

MKI4EVA
10-02-2010, 09:00 PM
anyone know if wheels or one of the mags have done a track time comparison btw CL9 vs CU2?

I've heard of ppl doing low to mid 1.17.xx at wakefield on stock everything in a CL9.

integral90
11-02-2010, 12:28 AM
I've heard of ppl doing low to mid 1.17.xx at wakefield on stock everything in a CL9.

I highly doubt it.

Phased
11-02-2010, 12:34 AM
I highly doubt it.

I think he is referring to aaronng, lol.

integral90
11-02-2010, 12:35 AM
I think he is referring to aaronng, lol.

Then it's far from "stock everything" :p

Phased
11-02-2010, 12:39 AM
Then it's far from "stock everything" :p

What has he actually done to it? I can't remember seeing the details anywhere?

tony1234
11-02-2010, 06:10 AM
Coilovers,RSB,header and intake.Anything else Aaron?

MKI4EVA
12-02-2010, 08:58 AM
I highly doubt it.

there are a few ppl out there who can actually drive.........

I was there timing him lap it in the 17's..........didn't suprise me considering a good time in a CL9 stock was around 1:18's and heaps of ppl have done 18's.

you should get a prodriver to sit in your CL9 next CC day and get some tips. there are quite a few corners to unlock times for at wakefield.:thumbsup:

integral90
23-02-2010, 05:20 PM

Header, intake, RSB (maybe FSB), Monoflex coilovers, LSD, flywheel, grippy tires

there are a few ppl out there who can actually drive.........

I was there timing him lap it in the 17's..........didn't suprise me considering a good time in a CL9 stock was around 1:18's and heaps of ppl have done 18's.

you should get a prodriver to sit in your CL9 next CC day and get some tips. there are quite a few corners to unlock times for at wakefield.:thumbsup:

Are you saying you were watching someone do 1:17s in a bone-stock Euro?

MKI4EVA
24-02-2010, 04:33 PM
I'm abit confused by your question - You've quoted me saying "I was timing him...."........

integral90
24-02-2010, 11:46 PM
I'm abit confused by your question - You've quoted me saying "I was timing him...."........

Well first you said you'd heard of people running that time, then you say you sat in the car and timed it. I'm wondering if you've sat in and timed a stock Euro running that or just heard of it.

MKI4EVA
25-02-2010, 08:16 AM
oh my bad.........I was there on the day timing my friends pull 1:17's.

He was getting high 17's when I was getting mid-low 17's in my S30. To be honest he had crap tyres as well, wasn't even on any brand name tyres like bridgestone or anything. And he only tracks 2-3 times a year.

I guess the reason why that time doesn't seem realistic for you is because more often than not the guys who can drive are in evo's and typeR's.

I was doing low 1:20's in a stock as a rock Civic Sport 07 model.

Would be interesting to see what the CU2 can do. My car's got only 3,500 on it atm...........might give it a crack when the k's hit 5,000.

denot
25-02-2010, 08:23 AM

Would be interesting to see what the CU2 can do. My car's got only 3,500 on it atm...........might give it a crack when the k's hit 5,000.

Thats good time for a Civic Sports mate... Maybe you should to it just before your CU2 hit 5k, so after you can do your service straight away :p

integral90
25-02-2010, 01:28 PM
oh my bad.........I was there on the day timing my friends pull 1:17's.

He was getting high 17's when I was getting mid-low 17's in my S30. To be honest he had crap tyres as well, wasn't even on any brand name tyres like bridgestone or anything. And he only tracks 2-3 times a year.

I guess the reason why that time doesn't seem realistic for you is because more often than not the guys who can drive are in evo's and typeR's.

If he was doing that in a bone-stock Euro then I'm really impressed :)

The reason I'm skeptical isn't because I don't believe your friend is a good driver; it's because a stock Euro is such an easy car to drive on the track. I can't imagine there being as much as 2 seconds between the average driver and a good one when the car's limits are so soft and predictable. Of course the gap between a good driver and a great driver would increase as the difficulty of controlling the car does.

I think a CU2 would be quicker and slower in different sections than a CL9. Just different corners where the different characteristics would be better-suited. With a good driver I think a CU2 could pull 1:18-19s as well

MKI4EVA
25-02-2010, 02:18 PM
If he was doing that in a bone-stock Euro then I'm really impressed :)

The reason I'm skeptical isn't because I don't believe your friend is a good driver; it's because a stock Euro is such an easy car to drive on the track. I can't imagine there being as much as 2 seconds between the average driver and a good one when the car's limits are so soft and predictable. Of course the gap between a good driver and a great driver would increase as the difficulty of controlling the car does.

I think a CU2 would be quicker and slower in different sections than a CL9. Just different corners where the different characteristics would be better-suited. With a good driver I think a CU2 could pull 1:18-19s as well

Evo's are described as easy to drive and PS3 like.........but you still get guys in stock ones raning from 1:12's to 1:08's.

like I said before it'll help you heaps of you get a pro driver to sit in your CL9........you'll see lines you never thought existed.