PDA

View Full Version : Broken Engine Mount - DC5S

[Type_R]
17-01-2010, 07:22 PM
Hey

Over the last few days i was experiencing vibrations coming from the engine bay.. after looking over it I have found it was the right hand side engine mount that has broken (see pic below)

Is this problem common with the DC5R and S?

What do you guys recommend - Get new OEM mount or aftermarket? If after market, which brand should I be looking at getting?

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/2002/p1010017gx.th.jpg (http://img8.imageshack.us/i/p1010017gx.jpg/)

Also while i have made this topic, what oil are you guys using?
Thanks

Mugen_B16B
17-01-2010, 08:00 PM
very common with dc5's and ep3's, best get urself some innovative or hasport mounts, but u will lose the comfort and gain more vibrations, try getting a brand new set and not shift to hard cause they usually break if u shift hard thats only if u wanna keep the car quiet

r3ckless
17-01-2010, 08:17 PM
Is it true the aftermarket mounts like mugen / innovative.. you only get vibrations on idle, but as soon as you take off, its queit again?

hisoka
17-01-2010, 08:24 PM
how many kms is ure car out of curiosity

Zilli
17-01-2010, 08:57 PM
Is it true the aftermarket mounts like mugen / innovative.. you only get vibrations on idle, but as soon as you take off, its queit again?

not from my experience. What i found was that over time parts in the interior will rattle loose, and at different RPM's in different gears you will get bad vibrations through the chassis which is quite noisey...

they do improve response and drivability though

chargeR
17-01-2010, 09:18 PM
Yes it is a very common issue. You have a few options to correct your issue. You could score a new OEM mount, with any luck you will get one cheaply second hand and hope it doesn't break again.

Alternatively you could get a new mount and then install some ESMM inserts to stiffen them up, but this comes with a penalty of increased vibrations as mentioned below.

The final alternative is full replacement mounts such as those made by Innovative, Avid or Mugen. Most expensive option and generally harsher than OEM mounts, although the Mugen mounts are very livable apparently.

not from my experience. What i found was that over time parts in the interior will rattle loose, and at different RPM's in different gears you will get bad vibrations through the chassis which is quite noisey...

they do improve response and drivability though

My experience is similar to this. I initially used Energy Suspension motor mount inserts and whilst the vibrations were most prominent at idle there was a noticable increase in vibration and noise transferred through to the cabin throughout the rev range compared to stock mounts.

I then changed to Innovative 85A mounts and the vibrations increased significantly, to the point where my CD player will skip constantly when pulling away from a stop, changing gears or at certain revs :).

As for oil, I use Red Line 10W-40 in the summer and Red Line 10W-30 in the winter. Changed every two track days or 5000kms, whichever comes first. I would recommend Honda FEO changed at 5000km intervals. It is reasonably priced and does the job.

tOniies
17-01-2010, 09:50 PM
Just use Sikaflex 252, proven to work. Gonna fix my mounts this week too. Will tell you how it goes.

[Type_R]
18-01-2010, 12:04 AM
Thanks for the info guys, really helpful.

how many kms is ure car out of curiosity

Just hit 70,000ks.

[Type_R]
18-01-2010, 12:07 AM
Just use Sikaflex 252, proven to work. Gonna fix my mounts this week too. Will tell you how it goes.

Let me know how that goes.. Proven to work, but for how long? Probably wont be doing this with my car.

[Type_R]
18-01-2010, 11:36 AM
I have been qouted $477.00 for new OEM mount. Pretty pricey if you ask me :eek:

*Edit* the OEM mounts will cost me $369 + labour.

Now im confused,so many options hahah. Mugen/OEM/innovative 60A...

Nighthawk_S
18-01-2010, 09:41 PM
I just had that mount fail on my S @ 62000km. Was quoted around $330 from honda (In Brisbane) for the mount. Also had a crack in the front mount quoted another $200 odd for that plus install.

I decided therefore to buy mugen mounts from ebay, under $500 for 3 mounts (front, left and right). Once installed they honestly dont feel much different to stock, no extra vibes that i could notice and the engine still rocks. However, if they last longer than stock, I will be happy. (I hate the vibrations from hard engine mounts in a daily driver so polyurethane ones were out of the question for me)

[Type_R]
18-01-2010, 09:51 PM
I just had that mount fail on my S @ 62000km. Was quoted around $330 from honda (In Brisbane) for the mount. Also had a crack in the front mount quoted another $200 odd for that plus install.

I decided therefore to buy mugen mounts from ebay, under $500 for 3 mounts (front, left and right). Once installed they honestly dont feel much different to stock, no extra vibes that i could notice and the engine still rocks. However, if they last longer than stock, I will be happy. (I hate the vibrations from hard engine mounts in a daily driver so polyurethane ones were out of the question for me)

Must be common with the mounts in the DC5S to fail when they get around the 60000-70000k mark.. But then again it all depends on how the car is driven.

tOniies
18-01-2010, 10:21 PM
;2621005']Let me know how that goes.. Proven to work, but for how long? Probably wont be doing this with my car.

the thing is, its not a major mount right? Is it the side ones? It should do wonders if its the side mounts. If its the rear mount then its not gonna last long.

Frankie
18-01-2010, 10:43 PM
my mate had his mounts go in his dc5s with only 15000km on the clock

mnc
19-01-2010, 12:18 AM
It also depends on weather condition and the heat from the engine etc. It degrades the rubber overtime.

And also maybe chemicals like brake fluid, power steering fluid, wd 40, degreaser etc got in contact with rubber somehow and is eating at it and making the rubber weaker? Probably wrong but yeah lols.

Mugen_B16B
20-01-2010, 05:24 PM
wrong michael, just honda made shit mounts for type r models with k20's like dc5r/s and ep3's, all have same problem due to engine movement from thrashing cause the motor moves to much and ****s up driverside hydrolic mount first then the rest will slowly go

just get urself some mugen mounts for 500 from maxhonda power on ebay, brisbane guy used to be a trader on here

tOniies
24-01-2010, 03:57 PM
Out of the question, how good are mugen mounts as in ride comfort? Does it rattle sick like hasport ones?

WATAJK
24-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Mugen ones im assuming will have a better lifetime then OEM yeah and better ride quality?

Nighthawk_S
24-01-2010, 09:24 PM
Mugen mounts dont vibrate any more than stock from my experience. Should hopefully last longer however. Don't expect them to stop axle tramp and engine movement tho...they aren't firm enough for that.

G-Stick
24-01-2010, 09:36 PM
if anyone needs these mounts, ive got a full set of OEM mounts from an ep3. ; )

[Type_R]
25-01-2010, 02:00 PM
if anyone needs these mounts, ive got a full set of OEM mounts from an ep3. ; )

now you tell me :eek:

How much do you want for them just out of curiousity?

G-Stick
25-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Not too sure what they are worth

[Type_R]
25-01-2010, 02:40 PM

$50 thats all they are worth 2nd hand, i swear ;) hahah.

Nah they would be worth around $200-$300 im assuming as i was qouted $369 for just the one RHS OEM mount (new)..

rossirider
26-01-2010, 11:39 AM
;2629099']$50 thats all they are worth 2nd hand, i swear ;) hahah.

Nah they would be worth around $200-$300 im assuming as i was qouted $369 for just the one RHS OEM mount (new)..

Mugens are worth around 500 brand new so I'd be expecting to pay around about $300 for used mugens. so if its OEM, it should be well less than that.

I had a set of used mugens that I sold for $300

Dr.k20z1
26-01-2010, 12:11 PM
errr... how did u break ur mounts! mustaaaaaa been driving hard!

na but yeah i got hasports 62a! drives like stock aye, dont go mugen or stocko, it doesnt do anything at all really.

at first the 62a's vibrate on idle heaps but the car feels like a whole new car.... 1 month later or so... no more vibrations! well hardly noticeable! now i wish i got 70s or somthing!

[Type_R]
27-01-2010, 06:59 PM

Turns out all my mounts have had it:(

So EP3 use the exact same mounts as the DC5?

If so, Please PM me best price for used mounts. :thumbsup: