PDA

View Full Version : New to cars

Xpire
18-01-2010, 05:14 PM
Hi guys,

Ultra noob question, but I'm still new with this kinda stuff! I've learnt heaps and heaps from reading these forums.

Anyway, what would be the cheapest mod that I could do to my Civic 06 Sport? Whether that be performance or looks, just looking to slowly mod my FD in increasing order of price :)

Cheers

kcokla
18-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Abit of a broad question - particuarly when you say ' in performance or looks'

in performance, i think a cold air/short ram intake, is probably the cheapest to get some easy power gains. Although on ebay you can get stuff like this for about 50 bucks, i suggest spending atleast around $150, atleast!.
If you want to go all out with some high quality ones, look at INJEN, may set you back around $500.

as for looks...
it really could be anytihng. go buy a steering wheel cover if you consider that a looks mod..

Xpire
18-01-2010, 07:23 PM
Abit of a broad question - particuarly when you say ' in performance or looks'

in performance, i think a cold air/short ram intake, is probably the cheapest to get some easy power gains. Although on ebay you can get stuff like this for about 50 bucks, i suggest spending atleast around $150, atleast!.
If you want to go all out with some high quality ones, look at INJEN, may set you back around $500.

as for looks...
it really could be anytihng. go buy a steering wheel cover if you consider that a looks mod..

lol yeah sorry, stupid question. haha. Was also meant to include the word 'legal' modifications.

Are cold air/sri considered legal in victoria? I'm on my p's but I'll be off them in a month or two!

What would be considered the next cheapest one after that?

Cheers!

Red_EG4
18-01-2010, 07:24 PM
Cheapest mod would be knowledge!
get on here and all over the net and find what you like then begin modding.

ekcoupe
18-01-2010, 07:41 PM
headers or an exaust system

kcokla
18-01-2010, 09:03 PM
lol yeah sorry, stupid question. haha. Was also meant to include the word 'legal' modifications.

Are cold air/sri considered legal in victoria? I'm on my p's but I'll be off them in a month or two!

What would be considered the next cheapest one after that?

Cheers!

to ask 'if there legal in victoria' is also very broad. I would assume(being in nsw), that victoria would be similar, and that they CAN be legal, or illegal, depending how their installed and so on. so to answer your question - yes there legal.

having said that, all modifcations to a car if not done properly, or adjusted in a particular way, or installed in a particular way etc - can all be defected.
If you get defected is up to police/if they even check it!

I am almost certain nearly everyone on ozh has some thing that can be defected very easily!

xntrik
18-01-2010, 09:16 PM
to ask 'if there legal in victoria' is also very broad. I would assume(being in nsw), that victoria would be similar, and that they CAN be legal, or illegal, depending how their installed and so on. so to answer your question - yes there legal.

having said that, all modifcations to a car if not done properly, or adjusted in a particular way, or installed in a particular way etc - can all be defected.
If you get defected is up to police/if they even check it!

I am almost certain nearly everyone on ozh has some thing that can be defected very easily!

Like having no H pattern on your gear knob.

Every modification you make can be a defect, and is considered illegal.
Eg. Pod filter if enclosed it is legal, If its not enclosed it is illegal.
Having an exhaust coppers can overlook it, but if they want or if its too loud, you can get defected.

It all comes down to you if you want to go down this road or not.
:thumbsup:

Timmy_B
19-01-2010, 12:33 PM
IMO most people when they begin the 'modification' phase start with easy things such as looks.
Wheels and a good low profile tyre can change the apperance of the car alot. (this is where most people start)
Then by adding good springs or coils to drop the car can make it look alot better.
This would be the first things i would look at. Dont go on 'cheapest mod' but more on 'what can i save up for next'
You dont want to waste your money on little things that dont change much..

After wheels and maybe a drop is in it's really up to you what you do. Afterall it is your car so make it your style.

I see it says 2006 civic.
FD civic can look sooo hot with a good drop and nice tidy wheels.