PDA

View Full Version : Squealing noise coming from intake??

5lam
18-01-2010, 09:20 PM
Hey all.
I have a really annoying squealing noise coming from under the bonnet. It only seems to happen when the throttle body is open to a certain spot (roughly quarter throttle)
At first I thought it was a leak maybe in the pod filter, but after replacing it it was still making the noise. I then replaced the intake pipe with an alloy CAI kit, and tried 2 other pod filters. What the heck is it? It's definately not the fan belt, or any belts on that side of the engine. Weird thing is if I redline it through a couple of gears, it stops for a while, and gradually comes back after a few minutes. During this time the idle fluctuates.
Any ideas? :confused: I'm stumped. I don't even know what to search for to try and fix the problem! :o

Thanks in advance.

Forgot to mention, its a 92 EH9 Civic, D16A8 5 speed :)

beeza
18-01-2010, 09:26 PM
A video with audio would help if possible.

bennjamin
18-01-2010, 09:27 PM
normal

the reason the noise is there...is you have removed your standard resonator/s.
The cars designers/engineers worked long and hard to make your car as quiet as possible for the original owner. Now you go and ruin it lol.

5lam
18-01-2010, 09:29 PM
normal

the reason the noise is there...is you have removed your standard resonator/s.
The cars designers/engineers worked long and hard to make your car as quiet as possible for the original owner. Now you go and ruin it lol.

lol, no way! I've seen plenty of other Hondas with CAI's and they don't squeal.
This really sounds like a fan belt that's about to let go. it's driving me nuts

bennjamin
18-01-2010, 09:32 PM
lol, no way! I've seen plenty of other Hondas with CAI's and they don't squeal.
This really sounds like a fan belt that's about to let go. it's driving me nuts

you sure ? Ive seen plenty of other hondas and they DO squeal at a certain RPM/load. My car does too.

How about you (as others said) record this noise. Because otherwise it will be impossible to diagnose ?

5lam
18-01-2010, 09:50 PM
Okay, I'll try and do it tomorrow

vinnY
18-01-2010, 09:52 PM
high pitched squealing by any chance?
had it on my oem dc2r throttle body, changed to a 65mm professional products one and it went away
seems to be throttle body/gasket related i reckon

5lam
19-01-2010, 09:00 AM
Thanks Vinny, thats more what I was leaning towards.
I've never seen any other Hondas around that squeal like this. It's embarrassing! :o
I'll try and get a vid this avo anyways. :thumbsup:

vinnY
19-01-2010, 09:05 AM
oddly enough it's perfectly normal, used to happen at me at pretty much any rpm and about 30% throttle, more of a high pitched ringing sound

5lam
19-01-2010, 09:07 AM
Fair enough.
But why would it stop if I give it curry? And it effects the idle when it's not squealing.

vinnY
19-01-2010, 09:10 AM
just an odd resonance frequency i guess
not sure about the idle though, the sounds usually got nothing to do with it

spardikis
21-01-2010, 07:36 PM
could be that annoying "iacv" noise

Aydin
21-02-2010, 10:05 PM
ive got that problem to but it only hapend after i upgraded my t/b and intel manafold??
try carby cleaner when i do it it gose away for a bit??