PDA

View Full Version : Bike nub

mick123
19-01-2010, 04:40 PM
I'm a bit of a bike noob n just wanted a few questions answered.
when looking for a bike should i be fussed by: rebuilds, imports, mod's and roughly how much mileage is appropriate for a bike?

currently looking at the zzr250, zxr250, or cbr250RR?

opinions fellaz?
cheers!

Lepperfish
19-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Cbr... Kms don't really matter just check the bike for overall condition as you would a car pretty much. Check the records and servicing from the seller.

mick123
19-01-2010, 08:10 PM
Cbr... Kms don't really matter just check the bike for overall condition as you would a car pretty much. Check the records and servicing from the seller.

man i had a bloke at uni, bit of a bike nut tell me: that 30km is the equivalant of 100k on a car.
having said that all cbr's out there, have decent mileage on them so i dont know what to believe lol.

Lepperfish
19-01-2010, 08:34 PM
man i had a bloke at uni, bit of a bike nut tell me: that 30km is the equivalant of 100k on a car.
having said that all cbr's out there, have decent mileage on them so i dont know what to believe lol.

My Integra Type R is coming up to 100k km. So what? Does it mean it's magically going to die?

Lepperfish
19-01-2010, 08:36 PM
Or you could go buy a new ninja 250 or hyosung thing...

Perry
19-01-2010, 08:51 PM
Like Lepperfish had said check for overall condition of the bike such as leaks and stuff. I've got 2 bikes which is for sale at the moment which is something you want as well feel free to PM me if your interested.

mick123
19-01-2010, 10:04 PM
My Integra Type R is coming up to 100k km. So what? Does it mean it's magically going to die?

nah not saying that at all, but an ITR with 70K compared to an ITR with 250km's say.....they arent gna be in the same of nick if u get what im tryna say?

thanks nonetheless i get what ur tryna say

Twincam16
19-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Ignore most of the km's thats are shown on cbr250's and grey imports - I am yet to see a cbr250 that has its odometer digits line up straight... I wouldnt let grey import km's bother me as its the age of these vehicles which you need to be wary of

Some quick tips;

* General - Ask seller for reciepts of work done / service history / parts bought - I usually tell someone cares for their vehicle by the way they keep their bike clean/well serviced.

* Tyre condition - does the rider use full use of the tyre (ie to the edges = good), how much tread is left - is it even wear? check the psi of the tyre with a digi meter if you can get one, check for tyre bits under the rear arch - could be a sign of burnouts and wreckless riding

* Motor - check if it has been warmed up pre-inspection by feeling as close to the exhaust manifold as you can, usually a sign that its got rough cold start. Does it need excessive start up time on choke? Check for wires or holes through the oil dip stick (bit you hold/screw) as this is race regulation and shows sign of trackbike

* Intake/Carbs - does the bike rev freely? are there flat spots in the rev range?

* Frame - check for cracks in the frame and swingarm

* Gearbox - is it easy to change gears? does the clutch engage/disengage well in higher gears - test it in higher gears at lower speed - run through all gears up and down

* Forks - Bring a clean rag, wipe the fork pistons before taking it for a ride or checking, hold front brake, push down firm a couple of times on the bars, is there any excess oil? do the forks compress easily, has teh buyer got info on changing/servicing forks etc? Any scratches/dings on the fork pistons? Also keep note that the rubber gasket on the fork seal which is visible is usually just a dust cap, and not the actual seal (which is concealed)

mick123
19-01-2010, 10:47 PM
far out man thanks heaps!

mick123
22-01-2010, 10:44 PM
anything i should know about clutches on a bike?
expensive to replace? how do i know they're going?

Twincam16
23-01-2010, 02:20 AM
same as a car, they will slip a bit... can become costly with labout, depends on the bike though