PDA

View Full Version : rear mounted turbos

jimsta
20-01-2010, 11:09 AM
hey guys,

As thread states. has anyone every seen or heard of these STS turbos. Iv searched the forum and there was a bit of dicussion here and also looked at other forums. It seems like people tend to talk about the lagg on these systems but from what the designers say that there is minimal lag.

http://www.ststurbo.com/

Reason i asked if that im thinking of doing this setup on my car. It would be a nice sleeper :)

Has there been any hondas that have used this setup??

Cheers

xclusive_eg8
20-01-2010, 03:59 PM
that looks cool, would love to see more info on the system

zachge
20-01-2010, 04:41 PM
Wait, so the intake path is the ENTIRE length of the car (major lag?) and the intake it's self is at the back of the car? I think having the intake itself at the front of the car would bring much colder air..
Seems dodgy much like those electric eBay superchargers..

Each to their own

xntrik
20-01-2010, 05:14 PM
I dont know much about the setup but,
I dont see the purpose of mounting a turbo to the rear.
There was a discussion in regards to this i think a year ago.

zachge
20-01-2010, 05:16 PM
I would imagine the most exhaust pressure would be at the manifold (where turbo's belong) rather than at the end of the exhaust..

lookingforboost
20-01-2010, 06:28 PM
your lossing all the heat energy and exhasust gas speed, i have heard of these systems but i really cant see it being good if you want to run a turbo car set it up like a turbo car it would be a waste of money putting this on your car.

jimsta
20-01-2010, 09:48 PM
hrmmm on youtube the guy from STS explains it and the concept of having it at the back or down stream. I personally dont think that there will be that much lag as the air coming from the compressor is already cool and it will be full of pressurised air ready for the next throttle. but thats just me thinking though.

How i c it is somewhere on the system there is a turbo. either up or down stream. Its still producing the same amount of pressure, boost, and so on. As for the piping, if the pipe diameter is not too big then it may possibly boost very well (thats being the diameter of the exhaust and compressor side going back into the throttle) but i may be wrong.

If the turbo is at the front of the car it is exposed to large amounts of heat due to the exhaust gases coming out directly from the manifold thus ur oiling system must always be in good nick to maintain lub for the bearings. But i can also c the benefits for having it at the back as the turbo itself is being cooled down quicker then under the hood therefore it should run more efficient.

At this moment im keeping an open mind about the concept.

your lossing all the heat energy and exhasust gas speed, i have heard of these systems but i really cant see it being good if you want to run a turbo car set it up like a turbo car it would be a waste of money putting this on your car.
Hrmm im not sure if u are losing any speed as the exhaust exists the back still at the same speed as the front bcoz its from a closed system unless u have a leak somewhere then u will lose exhaust speed. As for heat energy, its using the exhaust gases to spin the turbo. So shouldnt a turbo system be very cool meaning more power as the air is dense and it will run effeicently so i think heat is it number one enermy. Correct me if im wrong please.

bennjamin
20-01-2010, 09:54 PM
dude. Pressurised (thru a turbine) air gets HOT. Hence the need for a intercooler on a turbo'd engine under higher boost levels.

TheSaint
20-01-2010, 11:23 PM
waste of time and money ...

A. pressurised air gets hot anyway - its going to be hot no matter where u put it
B. your just creating more piping + complication to deal with
C. the further the intake/intercooler/turbo is from the motor the more lag you will get
D. the front page has a commodore on it ... gay

jimsta
21-01-2010, 08:15 AM
I see your point.

But im looking for people who have either seen it with there own eyes or have done it. To actually get a real review of how it realli performs.

cheers

EK1.6LCIV
21-01-2010, 08:29 AM
on a corvette anyhow...

http://www.turbo-kits.com/images/sts_c5_corvette_twin_turbo_3.jpg

nd55
21-01-2010, 04:54 PM
> from what the designers say that there is minimal lag

Of course they do.

This is a large american V8.
A cam, intake & headers will make a huge improvement on these machines.

Add a very low boost turbo 6-8psi and things are great.

On our little rev happy motors, it takes a lot more boost and perhaps better (for D16s anyway) gearing to make big differences.

besides look at those oil lines. I call show pony.

Nick.

bennjamin
21-01-2010, 05:04 PM
also

refer to this page....i just googled it and found it

http://www.nationaldriller.com/Articles/Column/02c1567808197010VgnVCM100000f932a8c0____

What it states - is the workings of finding boost loss due to friction per length of piping.
This refers the longer the pipe the smaller it has to be to maintain the same boost pressure , or that the longer the pipes are the less boost

Killa From Manila
21-01-2010, 05:32 PM
http://pi.b5z.net/i/u/1473169/i/booth_cropped.jpg

LMFAO at the claims

spardikis
21-01-2010, 07:34 PM
imagine trying to find a boost leak from that exhaust pipe (or do you call it an extra large manifold) throw it away imo...

bennjamin
22-01-2010, 06:09 AM
Lol

all those claims are simply hot air , and in no way proven.

Like a front mount intercooler
for a NA car (eBay it) it's a load if surplus parts that are stuck together to make false claims and hopefully some cash

jimsta
22-01-2010, 08:22 AM
hrmm.. i must say that the americans do come up with wierd things and i guess it is all a money making business.

i just wanted to get a feel of views on this option as i stumbled across it searching for kits and thought it would be a great way to have a sleeper.

cheers

bennjamin
22-01-2010, 12:22 PM
If you want a good sleeper , get a custom supercharger kit - on a Honda it usually sits on or under the inlet manifold so it should look quite standard.

EGB18CT
22-01-2010, 01:03 PM
wow so much hate!

This turbo setup is fairly common on the v8's, in particular the ls1/2... (mainly US cars) and the ford boss motor's for the xr8's (bit the xr8's mount near the subframes/just under dash area, and yes it still does work, given maybe a slight increase in lag and the extra weight of the additional length of piping.

Generally speaking, for a Honda or Import to go this way there is no major benefit apart from a more 'sealth' setup. A downside that people have with this setup is the cast iron housings cracking when going thru puddles or rain due to the uneven heat temperatures that the housings get from the water splashes etc. A solution to this has been to create 'shields'.

There are a few cars out here, i have seen a couple fords here in melbourne that have been running these setups for a while (twin turbo - small turbos like gt28's) and are running in the 10- low 11s brackets, so it must work!

Once again, the only reason these are rear mounted is for either
1. Sealth Setups
2. No room up front
3. Possible better weight distribution

For a honda to go this setup, i see no reason as there is plenty of room up front, and will most likely be more efficient. For a ls1/2... they respond very well to small boost whichever way the turbo is mounted. The closest honda to get a 'rear mount' setup is the nsx, but that's cos the motors up the back!

Ideally mount the turbo up front, if that cant be done, mount around the gearbox or a rwd car, if still no room then try up back as a last resort if you really still want to turbo!

lookingforboost
26-01-2010, 06:49 PM
save your money and do it properly, keep your car stock on the out side and turbo it will still be as sleeper.

or buy it see how it performs / prove us wrong or expensive waste or money ;)

stndrd
28-01-2010, 07:15 PM
the turbo set up on ls1/2/3 in commodores is either low mounted (sitting next to the bellhousing) or high mounted (sitting where the airbox and battery would be). they dont sit down next to the diff mate.

waste of time. if you want to turbo your car just go a nice low mount with a decent sized front housing and small rear housing so that you have minimal spoolige time and you get to go from zero to pluto in no time

sretocz
28-01-2010, 07:30 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P5O88I9g5KY&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P5O88I9g5KY&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

http://www.thevettedoctors.com/images/2007%20Imcurred/turbo.jpg

OMG.JAI xD
28-01-2010, 09:42 PM
It'd work with an NSX. =]

Well. Its the only way to do it really.

stndrd
29-01-2010, 06:32 PM
if i was going to twin turbo and nsx, i will swap the engine around so it is north-south, like the super gt nsx's then twin turbo, instead of running this rear mount thing.

najdi
29-01-2010, 07:53 PM
maybe p platers wil like this..get a custom mesh cover made up...and fool coppers?

DLO01
29-01-2010, 09:03 PM
Apart from what has been discussed already. Water lines and oil lines? These will have to be run the whole length of car as well. Plus oil drain will not be sufficient to 'naturally' drain back to sump, therefore will have to be 'pumped' back to sump.

Overall, more hassle, no gain. I think its more a marketing thing in 'offering something different' that will grab people, in which they are counting on.

stndrd
29-01-2010, 10:23 PM
+1 with that :thumbsup: dry sump required plus id say at least 2 oil coolers and an electric water pump

jimsta
01-02-2010, 03:36 PM
its an interesting concept i thought but very different i must say. Anyway im still doing a bit more research on what i want to do with the car. currently its just stock and i kinda like it like that. :)

JasonGilholme
01-02-2010, 03:40 PM
+1 with that :thumbsup: dry sump required plus id say at least 2 oil coolers and an electric water pump

dry sump isn't required. probably no need for an oil cooler at all as the oil stays in the lines longer between the turbo and engine giving time to cool down. Maybe just one like a normaly setup would be fine.

Water pump will be fine as is, just the volume of coolant should be upped to cater for the extra lines (goes for oil as well).

Only extra pump is one in the rear to pump the oil from the turbo back to the engine sump as its not gravity assisted like regular setups on hondas.