PDA

View Full Version : Cutting springs

slimx
20-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Hey guys im cheaping out on springs, i got myself some Free stock springs, im gona chop'm this is the 3rd time im doing it i ****ed up twice so this time ill ask.

How many coils is it best to cut to make the car sit comfortable on top of a tyre (ive got 17" wheels), i just want that nice lowered JDM look at the moment my car is like SEXSPEC dropped to its ass i believe its on bump stops? lol like for the sydney people im sure u guys could imagine what parramatta Rd is like for me lol.

heres pics (only the rear) the fronts got proper springs.
http://i50.tinypic.com/2sbmmg9.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/2dj2yh4.jpg

p.s if your gonna reply telling me to buy new springs i already know thats what im suppose to do im just a little short on cash.

VTi_b0i
20-01-2010, 05:55 PM
why put your safety at risk to look cool? dont do it man its dodgy as fcuk

WATAJK
20-01-2010, 06:08 PM
Agreed with the above but if you wanna do it go for it.
No-one is stopping u.
Im sure some people will know

Ashwee
20-01-2010, 07:10 PM
don't.

/thread.

DLO01
20-01-2010, 07:32 PM
Safety issue. Don't even bother.

Don't recomend it to you or anyone reading this.

beeza
20-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Damn.

dinorider
20-01-2010, 08:02 PM
Do it once, Do it RIGHT.

Don't cut springs. It's major unsafe and not worth it. Don't be impatient.

Save up and get proper springs. Hunt around the 'for sale' thread and wait. People do sell off springs at around half the original retail price.

Timmy_B
20-01-2010, 08:38 PM
You might as well sell your car and buy a holden then chop your springs and hang out with all the other wanker who do it. Bogan mod ftl

GSi_PSi
20-01-2010, 09:03 PM
kings springs are like 200 bux dude. even better go ebay springs i think even cheaper

dinorider
20-01-2010, 09:23 PM
You might as well sell your car and buy a holden then chop your springs and hang out with all the other wanker who do it. Bogan mod ftl

ROTFLOL!

Chopped spring Bogan Commonwhore FTMFL!!!

Truth is, 2nd hand Kings are as beer budget as budget gets.

Zilli
21-01-2010, 07:11 AM
agree with everyhting above, but there are a lot of people who do it. While i cant answer your question, and even if i could i wouldnt as what you are doing is putting you and everyone else on the road in danger...

Just some further food for though:

its defectable
if you have an accident and the assessor spots it (i know your thinking i'll just take it home and change the spirngs, but lets say you went for the cheapest insurer eg. AAMI, if its not drivable you dont get to take it, tow trucks are directed to take the cars straight to the AAMI centres)... so, if the assessor spots it you are up for the damage to yours car, and anyone else porperty including houses cars shops, telegraph poles etc...

Good luck mate

DLO01
21-01-2010, 07:16 AM
^^^ Yeh! Hell, I have done it when I was young, stoopid and did not know better. But now knowing the safety issues and consequences, of course I would never do it again.

JasonGilholme
21-01-2010, 07:26 AM
you might save 200 bucks now but when your car is in the side of a tree you'll have to pay alot more then that...

6thgear
21-01-2010, 09:36 AM
if you were on the cheap i'd rather get the springs compressed than cut. its the next cheapest way to go. but personally i'd pay a little extra for off the shelf lowering springs. king springs arent that expensive i dont think?

integragsi96
21-01-2010, 09:43 AM
ebay you can pick up a set for like $100 id believe..but hunt on the for sale thread or ask people....i got myself pedders 2 inch lowering springs for $100...came with kyb excel-g suspension and another set of stockies springs....just look around

marky53
21-01-2010, 09:46 AM
dude just post in the wanted to buy section...... they'll pop up eventually........

slimx
21-01-2010, 10:32 AM
i posted there 3 times for the past 4 months.. nothing...comes up

Ive seen heaps of people who dont even have springs lol im actually considered safer than them.. im on bump stops i think its called? lol

if you were on the cheap i'd rather get the springs compressed than cut. its the next cheapest way to go. but personally i'd pay a little extra for off the shelf lowering springs. king springs arent that expensive i dont think?

ive heard've this before.. "compressed" where can i get it done?

anfo2gig
21-01-2010, 11:47 AM
Dont chop it.....
either buy aftermarket one or keep it stock, just unsafe as other have said

just wondering does dc2r aftermarket spring fits DA?
If so i have set for sale.

slimx
21-01-2010, 01:26 PM
i dont think its cool lol u guys ondt get it .. i dont got the cash to buy brand new springs i got like $130 to spend..

$50 is installation so i gotta find springs that cost $80 or less.. and i cant seem to find anything :( all i need is 2 rear springs! :(

Dont chop it.....
either buy aftermarket one or keep it stock, just unsafe as other have said

just wondering does dc2r aftermarket spring fits DA?
If so i have set for sale.
I'l ask a friend and get back to u if it is ill take'm off ya, just curious how much you asking for them??

JasonGilholme
21-01-2010, 01:51 PM
50 bucks install can be saved if you borrow some tools and read up on this forum more. theres plenty of DIY's on this. I even think egSi has written one for swapping springs.

130 should get you a cheap ebay spring which would be better the chopping them.

Zilli
21-01-2010, 02:43 PM
^ good advice above!

mate i'd be tempted to just leave them stock for the time being in the back until you can sort out some springs... i reckon you could buy a new pair for the back for 200, then get someone to help you or follow the DIY's on the site? or on the internet?

jimsta
21-01-2010, 03:57 PM
hey mate,

i can say that from experience when i was younger it was awesome to have a fully slammed car but handling was crap (its a trade off)... I didnt no better and did not have any money. So i know where ur coming from..

My advice is save up a lil more and get urself decent springs that are compressed. U can get king springs and tell them that u want them compressed and they well custom make it for u to wat ever height u want them to. doesnt cost much.

MWAKU
21-01-2010, 04:21 PM
the max would be chopping 2 coils off. otherwise ur car will start bottoming out n shit, gotta lift the fender and kick the springs back into the shock. so yeh.

but really, if you don't have the money to spend, don't bother.

Ashwee
21-01-2010, 05:23 PM
buy ultra ride springs. they are what king buy and repaint yellow. they're even cheaper, and the ride is just the same, no worse than cut springs.

slimx
23-01-2010, 12:26 PM
ashwee any advice on where i can find them?

2MPRS
23-01-2010, 12:43 PM
slimx i told u bring it over to my house i got the spring compressors and all the tools for it, but noooooo you have to do a wog job on them lol

slimx
23-01-2010, 03:06 PM
what wog job lol im looking for cheaper SPRINGS!!!! now

grifty
26-01-2010, 01:14 AM
PM jdm b16a he might have a set he wants to get rid of for a DA9

slimx
26-01-2010, 01:27 PM
found a set of springs n shocks at pick n payless :)

just waiting for them to take it out 4me coz all the bolts are ****ed.

SuperJDM.
26-01-2010, 01:31 PM
See what happens when you wait a little while? :D

Ashwee
26-01-2010, 03:36 PM
you can order ultraride from any autobarn store.

m0nty ITR
26-01-2010, 03:44 PM
Even getting these springs you have reset is a better idea. Just get them set 30mm lower. I just don't know personally of many places that do it.