PDA

View Full Version : What to look for when buying an engine?

anster
20-01-2010, 08:42 PM
hi im thinking about buying an engine for my new civic. what do i look for when buying a second hand motor from a random person? like oil marks? seals? etc?
can any body help me asap because im going to paya deposit tomorrow.
cheers.

MWAKU
20-01-2010, 09:00 PM
best thing to do is a compression test.

Steps:
1. Once you have found a supplier overseas get the supplier to look over the half cut and send you pictures of the engine bay, and have them provide a legitimate video/s of the compression test and prove is all in good order. Rarely will they offer you a warranty as the market is so popular in America they can afford not to offer this. But make sure they do check the gearbox, engine for leaks, as these are the common problems. If a cut appears to have paint peeling on the rocker cover or any signs of lots of oxidation or rust or oil on the block stay clear of it!
2. Negotiate the price! Many are fairly firm on their prices, once again due to the popularity of the engines in the US. For example my SirG B18C cut cost approx US$2,500.00 plus shipping charges.
3. While writing the contract get them to list as many things as you can think of to try safe guard your position in the contract, things like engine numbers/VIN, ODO readings, Block numbers, etc. May people have been burnt before by dodgy sales so make sure the company is trustworthy and try search around other forums or google to see if they have fallen in trouble in the past.
EGB18CT :honda:

anster
20-01-2010, 09:09 PM
how do i get a compression test done?

grifty
20-01-2010, 10:20 PM
how do i get a compression test done?

firstly you need one of these

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/TFT-Cylinder-Compression-Tester-TF1092.aspx?pid=12556#details

Follow this DIY and you shouldnt go wrong http://ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25016&highlight=compression+test

Its not very hard test to do yourself but it is a must before buying an engine!!

grifty
20-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Also check for any oil leaks, have a look under the oil cap to see if there is any milky liquid on it and have a look through the oil cap hole to see if there is any oil sludge buildup.